Cree 1200, 3800 lumen lights

The one I got came in a bag with no instructions. How do you switch from 3 to 5 modes to get medium and SOS? The headband is useless for normal sized heads, so I cut off the band and tie wrapped the mount on my helmet. There's probably a better way.

I used a mount from another light for mine...worked great.

To switch, turn the light on and hold the button in for 3-5 seconds. You should see the led change from green to red, and it's in the 5 mode then. You will have to repeat this process each time you unplug the light. It's right there in the instructions, don't you understand translated Chinese?? ;)

The one I got came in a bag with no instructions. How do you switch from 3 to 5 modes to get medium and SOS? The headband is useless for normal sized heads, so I cut off the band and tie wrapped the mount on my helmet. There's probably a better way.

Use the mount that came with it, but instead of zip-ties try using Velcro..... Works good for easy on/ off and looks cleaner. I got a roll of Velcro and made 2 side straps. I also used a small piece and stuck it to the bottom of the mount and one on the helmet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 67
ordered the 1200 yesterday. +1 for charging at work. for 20 spot like to think of it as a back up. still want to get the lm solite :popcorn:

I just received the 1200 and fully charged it lasted 2 hours 4 minutes in my kitchen at 72 degrees in the room . i think its fully worth the 20 bucks

Damn.

I ordered the 2800 set last night and this additional battery pack. Guess I didn't research it very well.

My 20 year-old NiteRider (dual beam HID) gave me less than an hour, so I ended up riding laps around our relatively well-lit industrial park.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/427424558

I ordered the new lights as soon as I got back to my desk.

Anyone else have a collection gathering of these chargers now?

Yes, but I buy a few of these at a time now. I did have double failure on a ride when the temps dipped below 5 degrees (handlebar and helmet light blew within ten minutes, it was friggin cold). All issues I have had with them came in sub 10 degree temps. Hell, even I want to stop at times in those conditions. Last time I purchased them I bought four at $16 a piece shipped, that should cover my evening road rides for some time.

ok - some light pattern stuff -
this is the 12oo lumen, handle bar mounted - across my driveway to a tree - the tree is about 25' from the bike.

The light can be set up high/med/low or high/low/strobe (i think it is med, not low)

i put about 30 minutes into this battery before taking these pictures.

First group is the stock light.

This is low - almost enough light to see the tree

IMG_3292.JPG

This is on medium - there is the tree!

IMG_3291.JPG

This is high.
IMG_3290.JPG

My other 1200 has a diffuser, and is set up high/low/strobe

This is the low setting - I know it will last 2 hours
IMG_3289.JPG

This is the high setting.
IMG_3288.JPG

As i mentioned, this is mounted on the handlebar - and throws plenty of light around to see the animals
on the side of the road waiting to getcha - the diffuser makes the difference. When doing off-road, or a longer ride,
i'd go with the spot on my helmet - battery goes in my jersey pocket, or on the shoulder strap of a hydration pack.

Attachments

• IMG_3293.JPG
    IMG_3293.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 6
Yes, but I buy a few of these at a time now. I did have double failure on a ride when the temps dipped below 5 degrees (handlebar and helmet light blew within ten minutes, it was friggin cold). All issues I have had with them came in sub 10 degree temps. Hell, even I want to stop at times in those conditions. Last time I purchased them I bought four at $16 a piece shipped, that should cover my evening road rides for some time.
Shit, glad to know the limits
I only used them on my snowblower but was closer to 20 degrees

Bringing backups on winter fight club rides

Lights, cameras, action

Agree that extreme cold degrades the Crees.

I am an avid night trail rider, because of the work that I do. When I leave a client’s office at the end of the day, I frequently have my fully or my phattie in the back of the truck. For at least half the year, my departure is after sunset.

My general goal is to ride as many different trails near their offices while on location. Therefore, we are more than occasionally riding trails that we have never seen before in the dark. Given my complete lack of skilz, my fear of dying indicates a lot of lighting. Because my lack of skilz extends to bad navigation, we carry an abundance of light. On a couple of occasions, we have been lost after dark in a new park and it is just one less thing to worry about with this set up.

Last night we ran the usual set up:

MAIN LIGHT-bar mounted CREE T6 type red four cell LiOn battery hanging from the TT. 800 real lumens? Usually run on 50% brightness (low or medium) and it lasts maybe 90 minutes. Cost $18 (Note: Cost is still dropping. Ordered three more for $13 each. These are so inexpensive that you can give them away and I buy two or three at a time for battery backup. #lighttheworld). Only problem is that the batteries are weak and need to be charged same day and fail quicker than anything else.

UPDATE: October 2015 ordered a SIX cell battery on Amazon for $11. This lasts >50% longer than the old FOUR cell batteries and ran for two solid hours without the orange or red warning light coming on. Probably good for 2.5 hours or more.

HELMET LIGHT-Cateye Volt 700 running about 50%. Real output about 788 lumens, so they renamed it the “800” this year. Light and bright: what’s not to like? Cost $110 (a bit pricey for my taste), but we keep a backup in the Osprey. Lasts for over 2.5 hours-maybe a lot more.

BACKUP-Niterider Lumina 500 on bar. Dead reliable and used maybe 10% of the time. Cost about $100-110

When we ride the road to get to the trail, we run one or two tail lights as well. A Knog with 4 bulbs, USB rechargeable and about a half to one lumen is typical, but I have a slew of comparables. Cost $20-50

In the Osprey:

(1) Cateye Volt 700 backup helmet light. Because the 700 is so solid, this backup has only left the Osprey to be lent out to other riders. (2) Extra CREE T6 type. This serves also as an extra battery for the MAIN light, though with the MAIN on 50% we hardly ever run out of power. Use maybe 10% of time. Cost $18 (see above) (3) WalMart 300 lumen Flashlight type AA batteries with bar mount. Cost $21 Used once

Bike shop 150 lumen Flashlight type with AA batteries. Cost $21. If I ever remember, I will take it out of the Osprey cuz I have never used it.

On Bench:

Magicshine MJ-872-Think I have killed about two batteries for this in the last three years. Still chugging along faithfully, but bypassed economically more than technologically. Still keep it in the light bag. Cost $129

In summary, my main running lights cost about $238 including the Niterider backup on the bar and my necessary reserves (not the extra 700) in the Osprey cost $39. $277, we never run out of light and can lay down 2,000 real lumens if we need to. If we went all Chinese CREE T6’s, we could get away quite a bit cheaper ($40 at today’s prices).

So far only night rode once this fall. But, in 2014, we ran this set up about 20 times for 1 to 2 hours, which are mostly rides that we wouldn’t have gotten in, but for the lights. Tonight, I am going to ride in dark cold. Probably won’t see many people, but they will be well lit up.

Last edited:
MAIN LIGHT-bar mounted CREE T6 type red four cell LiOn battery hanging from the TT. 800 real lumens? Usually run on 50% brightness (low or medium). Cost $18 (Note: Cost is still dropping. Just ordered three more for $13 each. These are so inexpensive that you can give them away and I buy two or three at a time for battery backup. #lighttheworld). Only problem is that the batteries are weak and need to be charged same day and fail quicker than anything else.

HELMET LIGHT-Cateye Volt 700 running about 50%. Real output about 788 lumens, so they renamed it the “800” this year. Light and bright: what’s not to like? Cost $110 (a bit pricey for my taste), but we keep a backup in the Osprey.

BACKUP-Niterider Lumina 500 on bar. Dead reliable and used maybe 10% of the time. Cost about $100-110

When we ride the road to get to the trail, we run one or two tail lights as well. A Knog with 4 bulbs, USB rechargeable and about a half to one lumen is typical, but I have a slew of comparables. Cost $20-50

In the Osprey:

(1) Cateye Volt 700 backup helmet light. Because the 700 is so solid, this backup has only left the Osprey to be lent out to other riders. (2) Extra CREE T6 type. This serves also as an extra battery for the MAIN light, though with the MAIN on 50% we hardly ever run out of power. Use maybe 10% of time. Cost $18 (see above) (3) WalMart 300 lumen Flashlight type AA batteries with bar mount. Cost $21 Used once

Bike shop 150 lumen Flashlight type with AA batteries. Cost $21. If I ever remember, I will take it out of the Osprey cuz I have never used it.

Holy cow, how long are you night rides?

I remember riding the Wharton night ride and it was my first ride at Wharton and thinking if my light dies and I get lost, it was pitch black without lights - can't see my hand in front of my face black - I wouldn't want to be in that situation.

Last night I went without a helmet light, just the light on my bars. I find the helmet light nice (in addition) as it'll point the light where I'm looking.

Dropped the chain in the pitch black. Had to disassemble the light and annoyingly point it towards the chain to fix the bike.

Anyone find a nice lightweight chinese light option with integral battery or small battery? The reason I didn't have the light is I had nowhere to put the battery for the light.

Back
Top Bottom