2015 Tour de France Thread

Roadie

Valverde is still on Movistar, so it could cause issues for Quintana is Valverde tries to pull a froome. Thomas V is a joke, sure he attacks and is animated, but stop with the stupid faces already.
I thought the race organizers always told the riders to look anguished when they attack. Otherwise the viewers might think racing is easy..

I think the route is set up for a Quintana win this year

Mountain Bike Mike

First impressions of the Stage 1 TT - from a spectator perspective, the coverage lacks individual rider telemetry which would really help me grasp and appreciate their effort.

With other sports like Nascar, Formula One, Indy, AMA Superbike, the television coverage illustrates tons of telemetry: Speed, RPM, Gear, Lap Time, Placement. All of which pull the spectator into the race.

With today's technology, being able to include similar data points of the rider for the spectator on TV is possible. For me, I love to see real time TT stats like: Speed, Cadence, Power, Hear Rate, position and the variance from the lead.

Since this is the first time I'm tuning in, I don't have a favorite but I am looking at the interviews, how the racer speaks, intelligence, professionalism and what the commentators say about them. For this stage, i wasn't impressed with the post stage interviews. I'd love to see interviews of 2nd through 10th to hear what they have to say.

Stef wants to know - what is up with the stuffed animals...

Looking forward to the road racing and strategies and how teams work through each stage.

jackx

First impressions of the Stage 1 TT - from a spectator perspective, the coverage lacks individual rider telemetry which would really help me grasp and appreciate their effort.

With other sports like Nascar, Formula One, Indy, AMA Superbike, the television coverage illustrates tons of telemetry: Speed, RPM, Gear, Lap Time, Placement. All of which pull the spectator into the race.

With today's technology, being able to include similar data points of the rider for the spectator on TV is possible. For me, I love to see real time TT stats like: Speed, Cadence, Power, Hear Rate, position and the variance from the lead.

Since this is the first time I'm tuning in, I don't have a favorite but I am looking at the interviews, how the racer speaks, intelligence, professionalism and what the commentators say about them. For this stage, i wasn't impressed with the post stage interviews. I'd love to see interviews of 2nd through 10th to hear what they have to say.

Looking forward to the road racing and strategies and how teams work through each stage.

They frequently have some telemetry for riders such as position, Speed, gap (minutes:seconds) from leader or back to chaser, etc. On some stages, for a few riders they sometimes have audio, Hear Rate, power, etc.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

The lion stuffed animal is for the main sponser of tour.

They have some of the stats you request but so your think all professionals want all of there stats posted in real time? You can usually find it after the fact but that is literally their key to success. Besides, who cares in real time. Just watch the racing and enjoy it. Mind f the numbers after the fact. Watching power numbers is what makes racing boring because of the calculated efforts. The top 10 now means nothing in terms of the overall race. You will rarely find interviews on people outside the top 3 unless the country of broadcast is interviewing riders from their country. If you really want to find stuff, you can scan the Internet.

YouRang87

Time Trials are tough/ impossible to watch. I think it help watch to get some real time power/ speed to keep it entertaining the telecasters could compare leader vs current through different sectors. The crowd is the best watching TT.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
The Credit Lyonais (bank) awards the winner of each stage with a stuffed lion. Apparently these lions cannot be bought anywhere and are only for TdF stage winners.

Really? I'm pretty sure I won one at "ring-toss"..... ;)

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

The time trials are not TV friendly no matter how you slice it. I mean, how often do you watch formula one guys make runs at pole position?

Sorry Kev, been watching the Tour for years.....And other than drop-chain gate, it just hasn't really had the drama it did during the years the " Doper that shal not be named" was making fools of us all.

That's why I loved last year. All the "milk toast" GC guys crashed out early, Bradley Dickwad gave me a bithday present and didn't show and the foul mouthed midget missile wrecked spectacularly in front of his home crowd! Loved it!!!!

Yes, Nibaly won, that's sort of like the backup's, backup's, sisters cousin wining.... But, at least it wasn't Tejay. Is it bad that I absolutely can't stand the best GC candidate we, the U.S., Has to offer?

I digress, @Mountain Bike Mike you can count on the break away lasting until the last 3-5 k in all but one (non-TT) stage..... Phil and Paul will say " you know who's" name 2-5 times a mountain stage while mispronouncing riders names that they said correctly the year before and they will explain the "last 3k" rule in every sprint stage.

Now that I've gotten the bellyache'n out of the way..... The sprint finishes demonstrate incredible skill and impossible power. Mountain finishes can be extremely exciting if they are contested, or if grabbing or losing the yellow jersey is at stake. If not, meh!

I'll take the Giro over the Tour any day of the week. Better yet, watch the one day classics! That's Racing! 2c.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mountain stages are where the tour is won or loss. Anything till then is fluff. Say what you will but best highlights ever were by Armstrong. Let's face it he preformed better then the rest of doping field. Every top ten he raced were caught or called out. The sport will never be clean at this level way too much to win or lose...

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Once you get into the groove of the tour, the TT's get easier to watch (at lease for me). Well it's still not as exciting as the mountain stages, but it's kind of like when you are watching bobsleding or downhill ski'ing in the olympics .. it's kind of like background music. But if you have a rooting interest (USA) or if the tour can be decided on the final TT, it can get really exciting.

But I haven't paid attention to the tour since Cantador won it and lost it, so don't pay any heed to what I say.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I love and respect Jensie, but he is tough to listen to. It's like a really bad VW commercial from the 90's.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Sorry Kev, been watching the Tour for years.....And other than drop-chain gate, it just hasn't really had the drama it did during the years the " Doper that shal not be named" was making fools of us all.

That's why I loved last year. All the "milk toast" GC guys crashed out early, Bradley Dickwad gave me a bithday present and didn't show and the foul mouthed midget missile wrecked spectacularly in front of his home crowd! Loved it!!!!

One thing I will say is that the past few years they have broken the mold of sprints in the first week and mountains for the rest and end with a TT. THis year will be no different. Having 4 legit GC contenders will make things more exciting but that could be blown apart pretty quickly.

The tour is the biggest but by far the most exciting as the giro and the vuelta have been taking over for more excitement. Sprints are always top notch in the tour but this year most of the top guys aren't there.

So you have something against british people?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
One thing I will say is that the past few years they have broken the mold of sprints in the first week and mountains for the rest and end with a TT. THis year will be no different. Having 4 legit GC contenders will make things more exciting but that could be blown apart pretty quickly.

The tour is the biggest but by far the most exciting as the giro and the vuelta have been taking over for more excitement. Sprints are always top notch in the tour but this year most of the top guys aren't there.

So you have something against british people?

Over saturation I guess. :) Between the Brits and the Aussie's it seems like 75% of the accents I'm hearing in Hollywood and on TV are anglicized; don't get me started on home improvement shows.... If I hear one more House pronounced How-ous... I'll scream! Do we not fix up shit in the U.S. any more? Now it's sports. Hey, the truth is they are all lovely people but, I look at it this way... I like vanilla ice cream. It's plain, boring, but I like it. Every now and then I'll get green tea, black cherry, Belgian chocolate, etc. I love those as a treat, but put them in high rotation... Meh!

In the case of Cav and well, everyone from team Sky... The ice cream had gone rancid.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Good thing cav isn't on team sky anymore. Ettix pulled hard today to avoid it coming back together and had nothing left for cav. Sagan was damn close to winning.

Quintana and Nibali the big losers today. Let's pray for rain for Tuesday....

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Aaaaaannnddd, the selfish little sh*t pulls up early cuz he wasn't going to win the stage and totally screws his teammate. Unbelievable! The whole race broke his way to win the stage. This was even better than a crash! A crash would give him an excuse.... But fourth today from the fastest man in this race (no Kittel)...... Ha!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So is this Kwiatkowski's day on the Huy? Dan Martin maybe? Anybody but Valverde, pls. Will be interesting to see if Cancellera can stick with it enough to stay in yellow as I am sure he would like to be in yellow for the Cobbles tomorrow.

Top Bottom