Wharton Conditions

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Hmm....guess that one is a lesser priority....maybe:rolleyes:. I mean who need reliable power.

I'm guessing that Wharton State Forest's main storm recovery priority, for this 7/4 weekend, is to make the Atsion Lake Rec Area and the Batsto Village safe to visit, and then make all the major and minor camping areas safe to visit and use. If there is still power at the maintenance garage... its good enough. :)
My initial impression is that the damage is much worse, at least on the Wharton Batsto mtb trails, and in terms of the number of blowdowns, then when superstorm Sandy tore through.

Last edited:

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
I'm guessing that Wharton State Forest's main storm recovery priority, for this 7/4 weekend, is to make the Atsion Lake Rec Area and the Batsto Village safe to visit, and then make all the major and minor camping areas safe to visit and use. If there is still power at the maintenance garage... its good enough. :)
My initial impression is that the damage is much worse, at least on the Wharton Batsto mtb trails, and in terms of the number of blowdowns, then when superstorm Sandy tore through.
Hey Kurt,
I was planning on coming out to help clear trail tomorrow morning. Are you still planning 7 am? Do I need to bring tools and a bike?

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Hey Kurt,
I was planning on coming out to help clear trail tomorrow morning. Are you still planning 7 am? Do I need to bring tools and a bike?
We'll be meeting 7am at the trailhead, Friday and Saturday. Look for the JORBA trailer.
If you have a favorite pruning saw, or some such hand powered wood butcher equipment, bring it along. Also a bike and helmet. Thanks!
If you arrive late, ride up the west side of the loop and follow the fresh cuts and sawdust on the trail.

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
We'll be meeting 7am at the trailhead, Friday and Saturday. Look for the JORBA trailer.
If you have a favorite pruning saw, or some such hand powered wood butcher equipment, bring it along. Also a bike and helmet. Thanks!
If you arrive late, ride up the west side of the loop and follow the fresh cuts and sawdust on the trail.
Had a great time chopping and hacking out there this morning with the gang. What wasn't mentioned is all of the blue berries you can eat trail side mmmmmmm. Bonus!

#Lumberjackinglikeaboss
IMG_1429.JPG
Before
IMG_1424.JPG
After
IMG_1426.JPG

The Kalmyk

Good stuff guys!!! I did some canoeing with the family in Wharton today. The before and after's are really drastic!!

pibbles

Had a great time chopping and hacking out there this morning with the gang. What wasn't mentioned is all of the blue berries you can eat trail side mmmmmmm. Bonus!
Thanks for coming out,always nice to have people show up that we don't get to work with much. Also zero ticks and or chiggers. Axe has been cleaned and honed with handle re oiled. Ready for more destruction tomorrow! (As long as I can wake up) anybody count how many trees we cleared?

#Lumberjackinglikeaboss
View attachment 23370
Before
View attachment 23371
After
View attachment 23372

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG

Over 50 blowdowns removed from apprx. 7 miles of trail over two days. That leaves only the first mile east of the trail head to clear for good ride around the blue Huckleberry Trail loop. Much thanks to sj_john, moray42, pibbles, jim (chuck norris), and michael.su for getting it done in the heat, using handtools (required) only. Hardcore.

There is still the aforementioned mile to clear, along with the orange Penn Branch Trail, red Teaberry Trail and white Oak Hill Trail. Some say not to worry, cause Pibbles is passionate about the Batsto Trails, but we think that even He might need some assistance to get it all done.

Last edited:

pibbles

Over 50 blowdowns removed from apprx. 7 miles of trail over two days. That leaves only the first mile east of the trail head to clear for good ride around the blue Huckleberry Trail loop. Much thanks to sj_john, moray42, pibbles, jim (chuck norris), and michael.su for getting it done in the heat, using handtools (required) only. Hardcore.

There is still the aforementioned mile to clear, along with the orange Penn Branch Trail, red Teaberry Trail and white Oak Hill Trail. Some say not to worry, cause Pibbles is passionate about the Batsto Trails, but we think that even He might need some assistance to get it all done.
Not nearly as passionate about the trails as you are seeing as how I slept in this morning and got a late start! Always a good time hanging out with handheld woodcuttin' implements of destruction and good people!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Jim (chuck norris), Pibbles, and me went out for a third day and removed another 20+ blowdowns.
Be careful if you ride the blue Huckleberry Trail or the orange Penn Branch Trail, there are still some blowdowns that need to be removed. There are still a lot of sticks on the trail tread, use caution so you don't lose a spoke or rear der.
No one on the team has yet to look at the TeaBerry or OakHill Trails.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Am planning to ride up the white Oak Hill and red Tea Berry trails, Saturday 7/11/15 8:00 am. Do not know how much, if any, damage those trails got from the big storm. So this is an informal ride and TM. Bring your own tools, water, helmet, bike, and sense of humor.
**POSTPONED**

Last edited:

pibbles

Yeah! yeah its just like that, but the opposite! Chihuahua-terrier mix.
Cleared over a dozen blowdowns today from the white Oak Hill and red Tea Berry Trails. Its passable with all the usual caveats about limb litter.
It's embarrassing to me that any terrier in its right mind would have anything to do with a chihuahua therefore creating such a disgusting mix. I shudder just thinking about it!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
It's embarrassing to me that any terrier in its right mind would have anything to do with a chihuahua therefore creating such a disgusting mix. I shudder just thinking about it!

Wait till you see this dog sling a long axe. Then you'll change your tune.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions