Tubeless Question

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Anyone have any tips for getting a stubborn tubeless set-up to bead? I was swapping out my tires last night and the front one set-up and beaded very easily, but the rear was a different story. I just can't get it to bead near the nozzle. Anyone have any tricks for getting a tire to bead?

I'm assuming you sprayed with soapy water? Is the air just coming out as you're filling or the bead just won't pop?

Just swapped tires recently and had the same problem with a brand new Ignitor on a Flow rim. Installed a tube, with soapy water, to set at least one bead. After removing the tube, popped the tire bead back on starting opposite the valve and finished at the valve area. Soaped again and blasted with the compressor, valve core out.

if the bead just won't pop you can whack the tire on the ground (depending on how tough/expensive your rims are, i've never had to hit a tire so hard to pop the bead that it bent the rim but i also run cheapish rims)

for really tough ones I pull everything, put it togather with a tube and fill it up for a couple hours...then let the air out ,pop one side, remove the tube and install the valve and try it again...that way you start with one side seated already. I like to put in the sealent after I am done to avoid the mess.

Sometimes with really tough ones, i put a tube in and leave it for a day. That helps train the bead.

Co2s usually do the trick though

Using a hand pump? If so, I'm sure an air compressor would do the job with a quick shot of air. Then add sealant through the valve so you don't have to unseat the bead again.

Thanks for all the advice, folks! I was using a compressor, so I knew the force of air wasn't the issue. I didn't know about pulling the valve core, but I'm going to file that away as well as a few others here. Ultimately, I pulled the tire off and discovered a small tear in the rim tape that was bubbling out the tire so it wouldn't bead. It was like a tiny section that had threaded off For a quick fix, I smoothed it down and put a bit of electrical tape over it to hold it in place. It worked!

I lost the battle to successfully convert my son's b+ trax fatty tires to the cheap ass rims. I tried every trick in the book. Layers of tape, insulation foam, soapy water cinch band. Tried to preset with tube only to watch the tire fall of bead socket after deflation. Guess I am build a proper wheels for him to get this suckers to set...

For me, I have done tubeless tires and non tubeless tires for tubeless and never had a major problem. I use a presto/schraeder adaptor and my compressor with the triggered air blower and just open the valve, install adaptor but nozzle to adaptor hole and crank it in. I usually mount the tires by hand starting opposite the valve, I leave about 8" of one side unmounted, install wheel on bike.I then add 3 scoops of bontrager white sealant, rotate the unmounted section to the top and mount. I then blast the air in and pull the bead to get it to seat if needed. Always seats after pulling the rim in 1 or 2 spots.

@David Taylor I started tubless in 1998 with a ton of duct tape and early home brew slime as downhill racing was looking for an edge. Since then I converted just about every combo there is but this one takes the cake. I would try the split tube but at this point I will build the kid a proper wheelset. Just message back and forth with Brandon at bikehubstore who is hooking me up with just arrived b+ rims hubs and spokes.

@David Taylor I started tubless in 1998 with a ton of duct tape and early home brew slime as downhill racing was looking for an edge. Since then I converted just about every combo there is but this one takes the cake. I would try the split tube but at this point I will build the kid a proper wheelset. Just message back and forth with Brandon at bikehubstore who is hooking me up with just arrived b+ rims hubs and spokes.

What's the width on the B+?

I was having a hell of a time getting a Conti X-King to seal on a Ringle Charger rear wheel. The beads both "popped" but it would lose air after 6 hrs or so. Buddy said to pump it up and then go ride on it for a and hour or so. So that's what I did. Worked and it still has air in it I put in three days ago.

On jd0g's recommendation I've been using Schwalbe "Easy Fit" which helps a lot.

It is funny how some tires and rims really work together. When I built the 951 I mounted Schwalbe Magic Mary DH tires on Ringle ADD rims. One didn't even need my compressor to seat. Both still have the air in them I put in when I built the bike 3+ weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom