Standup Paddleboarding

dkocnj

I as watching some SUP guys while in the OBX last week. Still can't decide if it is cool or the dumbest thing ever. In the ocean with riding waves maybe cool. But just doing on a lake is most definately dumb.

The SUP guys in the surf are most annoying. They constantly drop in on everyone and have no respect in the lineup. I surf, but I bought a SUP so that I can get on the water on flat days and get a workout. If there are any waves, I use a surfboard and earn my waves.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
If you are out in the line up with a SUP, you have to know that you are getting more negative mental energy thrown your way than any human in history of surfing.

Great way to start a fist fight. This never ends well.

If you are going to pull this, you better rip.

Beachbike

Yeah, almost as much "negative vibe" as all the northern & western NJ/PA surfers. Ya know the ones, roll up in some packed out SUV loaded up with tatted up soul surfer buds. Run to the rail, stand on it as they call more of their buds. Then completely kook up the line up.

Ya know, the same guys who blast dwn hill on their rigs while someone is trying to find a good climbing line.

Surf, Board, Bike.., alone.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i used those once on my rack and the unfortunately part of those things is if your board is laying on it, the wax tears them apart pretty quickly. so if the board is coming in contact with those foam things, its not the greatest thing to use. you end up with a couple permanent black bars across your board, which isn't the biggest deal in the world, but the bigger thing is they won't last too long if you are sliding boards on it.

THATmanMANNY

I have foam around my bars but good thing I have a cheapo foam board with not wax :)

bungie, meh. I'm not keen to them when I am driving highway speeds.

I was just thinking wrapping my oar in the foam insulation and then throw it on top of board and then strap down board and oar. Car is going to be full this year so no room for oar in car.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i see what you are saying dave, if the load bars were wrapped, and the board tied down - i was thinking along manny's line, put it around the oar and hold that to the load bars - maybe an old bmx top tube pad ??? they usually have a more substantial outside??

THATmanMANNY

2015-06-27%2008.58.36_zps6haqwzja.jpg

Top Bottom