Heckle-cation the other months of the year.

Thanks for pushing me over the edge and finally ordering the XT rear derailleur for my touring bike.
eOXPWP.gif

Friday night thoughts.
I took 3 days off since the weekend adventure. I really wasn't looking forward to riding. Not going hard was so fun.

Anyway, I took the Raleigh down through the reservation up Johnston Dr. and back to Mo'town through the swamp. That route gets pretty busy but I like it. 'I haven't had a hard effort' since Jungle so I wanted to open it up a bit. A few days rest really was great and my numbers weren't bad considering how much riding seemed like a chore before I went out. The best part was the constant smile I had.

I had a bad feeling all day and didn't want to ride alone but my buddy was traveling so solo it was. I had no unusually close calls with cars, but middle school kids on old mountain bikes without helmets is another story.

Coming up Stirling Road in Watchung I was approaching a side road and saw a kid on a bike coming up to a stop sign. I moved into the lane a couple feet but as I approached the intersection I realized the kid wasn't stopping. I cut hard towards the yellow line under heavy break and managed to dodge his front wheel by inches. I yelled something along the lines of "What are you doing?!" No curses, go me. I looked back and saw him ride away, no physical harm done to anyone.

Now I'm jamming to some Netflix with a 2XIPA. Still here and whole for the evening.

:banana:

WOW, been a really slow couple weeks, not much riding to discuss but my plans have changed around my vacation week.

This week I was notified my buddies wedding party will be 6/28 so I won't be camping in MA that weekend. Instead I will be RACING LEWIS MORRIS and celebrating the union of Will and Nong. I already have the week off so when last minute plans began to take shape over dinner last night I decided the biggest adventure I will undertake since the NYC -> Montreal tour sounds too good to pass up.

I will be driving with Maureen out to Jackson Wyoming to visit friends of hers, hike, ride, camp and see the sights. Plans are still very loose and need a lot of smoothing out but I also got the following week off as well.

Rough outline, leave EARLY Monday 6/29, drive 32 hours over two days (maybe 3 if it gets really awful) stay 8 days in WY and return home for Sunday 7/12.

I guess I will be missing Bulldog.

Anyway this will be my first time across the heartland on the ground and I wish I had more time to be able to stop in between but I can't complain considering I both have enough vacation to do this at all / my boss is okay with me taking the time. I want to at least try and hit Mt. Rushmore because America but if I make the I90 detour I was told I need to hit badlands and a few other spots. Not sure if I will have time but anything I need to see that way?

ON THAT NOTE: I wanna take my road bike, what are the roads like out there, anyone know any killer climbs? My MTB is a piece of shit and I don't want to deal with it's BS.

Also see here:
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/jackson-wy.36683/

Anyway this will be my first time across the heartland on the ground and I wish I had more time to be able to stop in between but I can't complain considering I both have enough vacation to do this at all / my boss is okay with me taking the time. I want to at least try and hit Mt. Rushmore because America but if I make the I90 detour I was told I need to hit badlands and a few other spots. Not sure if I will have time but anything I need to see that way?

Mt. Rushmore is a definite must -
and the badlands at sunset are absolutely breathtaking.
205237.JPG

If it can fit into your itinerary Devils Tower is pretty sweet:

devils_tower_wy1.jpg

And since you are driving and possibly doing the badlands - you will see plenty of signs for Wall Drug:

Soldier_Stand_by_Wall_Drug_Sign.jpg

It's worth stopping if you are in the area but don't go out of your way.

So uh.. I spent a yesterday at Teton Motors and left with a Subaru Outback. Well sorta, I take delivery tonight.

Donating big blue to Kars for Kidz.

I might make it home!

2015 LEWIS MORRIS RECAP
I MC'd the Cat 3 race for warm up, called up Cat 1 then changed and started near the back.

I came in 5th for Cat 1 19-39.

Then went of a 2 week vacation and found my MTB in dire need of a drive train deep cleaning last night.

AMHERST/BOSTON TRIP!
Yeah, I had a sweet rest weekend filled with friends and a ton of driving.

Goodbye beard hello 3 days of 'stache.
bfsuUyFl.jpg

Laughing Dog had their first ever shop show. They moved all of the floor bikes in the unstairs against the back wall and opened up enough space for a band and ~50+ people.

PA setup/comedy hour
FsPnIoul.jpg

Upstairs at the Dog
p5mjz2Pl.jpg

The opener played some pretty raw non-vocal acoustic with a lot of changing times, tapping, harmonics and wild picking patterns. Small croud for the opener.
vozbzKql.jpg

Second act was some manic singer with prerecorded tracks playing behind him. Dude was going nutz rolling on the floor. 3rd act played a lot of punk classics and got the crowd going and to close was a gloom metal band that played some pretty heavy ethereal jamz.

SIQ WUT, disco ball.
1gzq7qAl.jpg

Hit the bicycle themed bar in town "The Spoke" after the show. Closed it out and cyclocross mounted a fake cow followed by a few other friends jamming themselves on for a drunky photo.
VLSIrbtl.jpg

The summer in town is wayyy more quiet but there are still enough bros and biddies in town to cause a ruckus. This was 3 women on some guys motorcycle for a photo. SWEET ONE, BRO!
d83Efvyl.jpg

Had a slumber party in the front shop space. Woke up way too early. Mission control at LDB:
f35a6J8l.jpg

Saturday morning I revisited the waterfall location with Maureen and Zach where I camped over memorial day weekend. We hiked up and found even more impressive features along the falls. The water was still a trickle. I would really love to see that bad boy at full run. Maybe I will get back there early spring next year.
Vhh2MOLl.jpg

Boston was a goodbye party for my friend who is heading to SLC Utah for grad school. Gonna miss Jaqi but now I have another sweet vacation destination. Super stoked on that!

Rain today means trip to Watchung for dinner and laundry at my 'rents. CHICKEN PARM!!! SCCCOOORRREEE!!!!

I order from McMaster over the phone frequently which has the benefit of talking to people outside of the office and paying via purchase order so I don't need to charge stuff and deal with expense reports. I've never had in issue in 3 years until today. I ordered one white and one black paint pen which are the same part number. I specified one of each color and received 1 white and 41 black. This is what 42 paint pens look like.

YguQ9pOl.jpg

McMaster beats ANY other company for returns.

You throw everything in a box and they sort through it and figure out when you bought it, etc to issue returns.

I just called McMaster 20 minutes ago. My delivery will show up today. I ordered a 9v battery, wire ferrules and some stainless steel washers for fixing my rear hub. I could have ordered a bike tube, a $5,000 pressure tester, a toaster oven and usb cables and it'd all be delivered for $3.

It's like Amazon, but faster.

McMaster beats ANY other company for returns.

You throw everything in a box and they sort through it and figure out when you bought it, etc to issue returns.

I just called McMaster 20 minutes ago. My delivery will show up today. I ordered a 9v battery, wire ferrules and some stainless steel washers for fixing my rear hub. I could have ordered a bike tube, a $5,000 pressure tester, a toaster oven and usb cables and it'd all be delivered for $3.

It's like Amazon, but faster.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#bicycles/=yhqgdz

Back
Top Bottom