Spongy Brake Lever

bucknejo

My rear hydraulic disc brake seems to have lost some pressure as it' all spongy now where I can pull the lever almost to the bar grip.

The brake still works, a la stopping the bike, but I'm guessing I'm in for a serious crash if I don't get it looked at.

At the end of last season I did open the reservoir screw and some fluid leaked out. I'm sure this started the process of de-pressurization and/or air getting into the system.

Do I need to bleed this one out? I pulled off the rear wheel and gave the lever a bunch of pulls to load up the line, then pressed the pistons out again with no luck - same condition, spongy mcspongy-ster.

avid elixir ceramic circa 2012

alex_k

3 years old, it is definitely time to bleed them out. Additionally I'd replace pistons and their seals. that is easy and eliminates any problem with piston retraction.

qclabrat

DOT fluid does a number on the seals. I tried to remove the pistons off an old set of Juicys recently with out luck. You definitely need a bleed, which isn't too difficult

DargSide

When I had avid brakes I'd keep a syringe full of dot and the little t1 key that comes with the kit, and then just bleed the lever every week or so

To be honest I like the bleeding procedure of the avid vs the shimano mainly because the quick and easy lever bleed

njmark

Professional Cyclist
I have the opposite problem, my front brake lever moves maybe 1/2 the distance it used to do, very stiff. These are shimano Alvio? hydraulic brakes.

bucknejo

bled both F & R brakes last night and it seems to have resolved the problem although the old fluid coming out was pretty gnarly. might bleed again to make sure any remaining gunk is flushed out.

Top Bottom