Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Here Jimmy, you need something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Anker-10000mA...?ie=UTF8&qid=1432642285&sr=8-2&keywords=anker
Just search amazon for Anker, there's like a zillion sizes of these things.
You can charge your phone and garmin off of them while you nap.

Sick, this would really come in handy. Normally I would charge my stuff overnight but we stayed in a tent spot with no electric or water. "Roughing it" as my wife would say. I bought a second Garmin and thought that would suffice, but no, even though Garmin claims a 17-hour battery life.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was super unimpressed by the racing yesterday. Only Lauren D did anything worth anything and as always, nobody helped her and she got hung out to dry and caught with feet to go. The men's race was especially lame.

Usually when I see road races I get some sort of bug to do it again. Yesterday nothing at all.

You didn't see me either. Well maybe you did, but I did not see you.

gtluke

The Moped
Sick, this would really come in handy. Normally I would charge my stuff overnight but we stayed in a tent spot with no electric or water. "Roughing it" as my wife would say. I bought a second Garmin and thought that would suffice, but no, even though Garmin claims a 17-hour battery life.

I think the 800 has a 1,000 mah battery and a phone has like 2500-3000
So in theory a 10,000 mah anker would charge all your shit at least twice. I have no idea if that battery math actually works out but for $22 and 10,000 mah that thing should get you going. There are a bunch of different sizes. There's one that looks like a little dildo, you might like that one.

Mountain Bike Mike

Crits are what is wrong with road racing in the USA.

I showed Cameron the facebook video Norm posted of the crit (which was pretty cool to watch based on the low angle of the recording). I told Cameron, "it's like the Nascar of cycling"

@jimvreeland - As I was scrolling through Strava yesterday, I explained the ride you did to my wife and she was like "Why would anyone do that?" LOL.. Was it faster to ride your bike from Cape May to home than it took your wife to drive back from Cape May? As I was looking at FB, the convo had me thinking that was the case. Nice Twerk on those rides and great pics. I will most likely use part of your longest day route when I ride from B-town to Wildwood in a couple months.

Steve Vai

@jimvreelandWas it faster to ride your bike from Cape May to home than it took your wife to drive back from Cape May? As I was looking at FB, the convo had me thinking that was the case.

Sort of. My wife left at Noon so I had a 4-hour head start.

If possible, try to cut out the Chatsworth section. That whole area of the state SUCKS. I've never wanted to kill myself while on a bike before, but I nearly did. Riding on the Parkway would be better and more interesting.

The Kalmyk

Jim sounds like your long distance adaptation is really coming along. Sub 5hour 100 mile is good chit.

I have done plenty of rides in the piney/super flat terrain of southern NJ. Unlike the hillier areas you are on the pedal almost all the time. There is very little coasting.

The Kalmyk

Sort of. My wife left at Noon so I had a 4-hour head start.

If possible, try to cut out the Chatsworth section. That whole area of the state SUCKS. I've never wanted to kill myself while on a bike before, but I nearly did. Riding on the Parkway would be better and more interesting.

I would say heading into Cape May you're pretty much shit out of luck. There is no two ways around it unless you take the shoreline the whole way down. There isn't anything much different west of rt206. Flat with some instances of 1 mile views down road all over the place.

@Mountain Bike Mike if you want to feel like leaving NJ then include Fairfield, Downe and Commercial Townships on your route to Cape May. I've ridden up and down the Maurice river area and it is pretty much Delaware at that point. I find the area interesting because it's truly a wayyyy different NJ than anyone on this board is used to.

The Kalmyk

Is there any downside to this other than adding more mileage?

I've never ridden the coast from Monmouth County to Cape May so I really can't speak on details of a route or what to expect on certain roads. What comes to mind immediately is the dreaded headwinds off the water. They can be really tough.

moray42

Merman
I've never ridden the coast from Monmouth County to Cape May so I really can't speak on details of a route or what to expect on certain roads. What comes to mind immediately is the dreaded headwinds off the water. They can be really tough.
By the time you reach southern ocean/Atlantic county you'll have to head inland anyway. The river crossings closer to shore are all parkway, so you have to work around thru the inland crossings. That is where the pinelands route provides more of a direct path. Or as mentioned, follow the Deleware bayshore. Rte 47 runs most of the way.

Steve Vai

Jim sounds like your long distance adaptation is really coming along. Sub 5hour 100 mile is good chit.

Thanks. I'm actually starting to feel like this stuff is paying off, but I still have a long way to go to compete with the big guys.

Tuesday.

First I'll start with a bike project that I did last week but never posted.

11006471_10153833926558265_5744056752490163600_n.jpg

Custom made a fat trailer for the Peerless Beverage Co. They're going to mount a keg to it and use it at events. That guy is a mechanic from the repair shop across the street. I was out testing it and he just jumped on.

Glenn's Hand Cycle.

I'm not sure how many of you know Glenn. He is one of the strongest athletes anyone could ever meet, insanely strong guy, destroyed people, was in magazines, etc, etc, etc...Last year he was hit by a car and is now paralyzed from the chest down. This was something that hit really close to home and watching his recovery and progress has been very hard and extremely motivational.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/04/22/glenn-hartrick-spine-injury-ironman-triathlon/

So now that Glenn is back racing, I got my hands on his hand cycle to make it a lot better than what it is. First thing was to build a PowerTap wheel for it so he can train better. I cut his old Zipp808 apart and rebuilt it with a new G3 hub with black spokes and red nipples just to make it look a little meaner.

11165314_10206537246371861_6176010463897322325_n.jpg

11026163_10206539103138279_5742812050901866137_n.jpg

I did many laps around the shop to figure out where and how I could modify the components and locations to make it easier to use.

11147872_10206605184230265_7440901514767976745_n.jpg

For this application, Di2 makes a ton of sense. Given the low gearing of the cycle I made a groupset using XTR and Ultegra Di2.

10580195_10206652349169359_7136931080068317836_n.jpg

11252491_10206652349929378_6531581380436019546_n.jpg

1743708_10206652350169384_316490939008993012_n.jpg

Mounted the battery and will run the junction boxes under the seat so it's hidden. I ran a Ultegra Di2 rear lever up top with a climbing shifter and XTR front shifter down below so there's 2 spots to shift the rear so he can use either hand to shift each derailleur. I'm still waiting on some wires and such so I've not yet been able to test any of my ideas. Glenn is racing this weekend so it may be down to the wire to button this up.

Top Bottom