Gas powered bikes?

ktmrider

I doesn't matter what DMV you go to , there is a digit on the title that turns up not street legal .

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I doesn't matter what DMV you go to , there is a digit on the title that turns up not street legal .
Ok then 8 out of 8 plated their crx 450's so they did something to get it done. Just asked cuz and he said none of my business, lol...

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Here is my 2015 KTM 350 Xcf-w. Street legal and as fun as they get. Torque and power. Love this bike!

Attachments

• IMG_8005.JPG
    IMG_8005.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 38

olegbabich

I do not know how to tag on a dirt bike in NJ, but if I ever need to plate a bike here, I will get a South Dakota registration.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you have a CRF450X you can get a title for, CRF450R you cannot...at least not anymore..10 years ago there were shenanigans you could do, but those loopholes are gone now. 450R is sold as a race only bike, state will not issue a title for it and thus you can't register it.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Go to a inner city or podunk DMV with full or inflated sales tax info sheet and 5 times out of 10 it will go through even with a certificate of origin that has a neon blinking" off road use only" on it. They will fight what their monitor says cause they can't imagine a dirtbike costing that much .....or reg it up in a neighboring state and transfer to NJ the next year. There is no better feeling than just sitting on a fully legal 2 stroke watching a ranger or a cop just scratching their head in total confusion:D

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I've recently picked up a project off Craigslist that's been keeping me busy between the millions of hours I spend at work. I haven't played with vroom vroom bikes in years and have been jonesing to get back on one. It's a 1978 Honda Twin - and really small. 185! Small enough I can fit it in the back of the minivan. Not a bad way to get my feet wet again. 271# dry weight.

Real simple bike to work on. It actually reminds me of an old Suzuki TS50 i fixed up back in high school.

So far I've cleaned up the chrome (because that's the easy part). I've got the tank off and I'm currently de-rusting the tank. Once the tank is clean I'm going to paint it. Making the bike pretty isn't my focal point but I figure since the tank is off, I might as well do everything I want to do to it in one shot. No major dings in the tank so that's a plus - only internal rust from the bike sitting for ten years in a garage. Carb looks good but still needs more cleaning and I have the brakes back to full operation. I hate the bars, so I'm gonna replace those once I get it to kick. So far so good and no money into it other than using crap I had laying around.

Some other cosmetics are the fenders. The front one is beyond repair so I took it off. The rear fender needs some TLC but I have a few ideas. The seat will probably stay because it's actually very comfortable.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
It's an ugly bike but I've had worse and do pretty well shining up turds.

I'll try to remember to post pics as I progress.

Last edited:

Mountain Bike Mike

What do you want it to look like when you're done with it? How far are you going to go with it? Just small details, like low bars, lower existing suspension, strip excess BS, shine it up, loud pipes, jet the carbs, nicer tires? or more extensive like - upgraded front end with newer style crotch rocket inverted forks, cafe style tank and tail + everything I listed in the smaller list?

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
What do you want it to look like when you're done with it? How far are you going to go with it? Just small details, like low bars, lower existing suspension, strip excess BS, shine it up, loud pipes, jet the carbs, nicer tires? or more extensive like - upgraded front end with newer style crotch rocket inverted forks, cafe style tank and tail + everything I listed in the smaller list?

I used to look at fixing bikes in phases. Get it running, make it pretty for resale, or make it "mine". This one will probably get to the resale phase, and if it works for commuting, I'll make it mine.

I'm gonna go with euro bars. I don't like loud bikes (never have) so I'll stick with the standard pipes. Didn't even think about jetting the carbs until you brought it up. Not a bad idea which would mean different pipes most likely. If I made the suspension any lower I would look like I'm sitting on the ground. I'm 6'4 so I need all the room I can get for my femurs. So stock it will stay. Just gonna pretty up the springs.

I could cafe it but I always liked the early 60s Triumphs, so it will look something like this:

image.jpg

... just with an uglier taillight and the stock pipes. If the rear fender work I have in mind doesn't cooperate I'll either cafe it or bob it.

Mountain Bike Mike

K&N Cone filters would be a nice touch and remove the factory air box.. Keeping the stock pipes and throwing on K&N filters, a very mild mod to the jets would make it slightly peppier.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Had some good progress this weekend. Carb is ready to go back on the bike. It's clean enough for me.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

And derusting the tank went great until I screwed up. I got all the rust out and the tank looked great. I used vinegar. Poured a ton of rust out of the tank. See the pile of brown north of the tank.

image.jpg

I sloshed around some denatured alcohol to take out any moisture but then the tank flash rusted when I put the tank aside. I lost my touch. @gtluke @Mountain Bike Mike Halp!!!! Any ideas? I've read too much on the interwebs to where I dunno where to begin. I was thinking of fogging the tank with WD-40 once I slosh denatured alcohol around in it. How much rust is ok in a tank? Here is what it looks like.

image.jpg

Last edited:

I Ride Bikes

My friend just cleaned and fixed a '74 Yamaha tank. He used a tank rust remover that a friend recommended to him. It took all the loose stuff off. Even tho the inside still looked a little rusty, nothing came off to the touch. He drained the liquid out to the point where it was only wet, no standing liquid, and topped it off with gas. As far as future rust, he added a standard clear inline fuel filter in addition to the stock filter screen. That can be monitored easily and cleaned if needed.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
My friend just cleaned and fixed a '74 Yamaha tank. He used a tank rust remover that a friend recommended to him. It took all the loose stuff off. Even tho the inside still looked a little rusty, nothing came off to the touch. He drained the liquid out to the point where it was only wet, no standing liquid, and topped it off with gas. As far as future rust, he added a standard clear inline fuel filter in addition to the stock filter screen. That can be monitored easily and cleaned if needed.

any idea what that tank rust remover was? something like CLR?

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
@clarkenstein it was called metal rescue. It worked really well. The bike was sitting since the 80s.

thanks! - i'll look around for it.

@Mountain Bike Mike i was weary of the electrolysis method purely because i have the kids toys in the garage. i don't want them bumping into it or god forbid it explodes from a hydrogen gas build up. i have my paint all lined up now. can't wait to paint but want the rust issue settled first.

Top Bottom