Generic Pro Road Cycling Thread

Could not have gotten much closer. Regardless of the result Tinkoff has it out for Sagan.

Now we can see if Contador can win the Giro without his arm falling off.

Great finish to the ToC. I am usually not a fan of points bonuses but they definitely made the final stage more exciting to watch.

"The problem in cycling is that it's not easy to cut salary because we have a contract. I believe that cycling needs a different model."
I'm really glad I don't work for Oleg Tinkoff.

"The problem in cycling is that it's not easy to cut salary because we have a contract. I believe that cycling needs a different model."
I'm really glad I don't work for Oleg Tinkoff.
Yes, the REASON you have a contract is so you can't just do whatever you want--haha. What pro sport doesn't have contracts?

And boxing. Possibly horse racing? However, with mebbe the exception of the Ryder Cup, they're not team sports.

Golf? The get paid from their winnings, right?

the big guys get appearance fees at the smaller tournys to attract crowds.
everyone that makes the cut gets paid.
being able to talk into a camera and be easy on the eyes is a bonus for sponsorship $$$ -

---

an "up and coming" golfer usually has a couple of sponsors that back the journey - the money is paid back
by the pro playing with clients, and chatting golf. Then access to tournament areas where the average tix holders
can't get to.

---

would conjecture that the purses in cycling don't justify the cost...its all about some team of MBAs figuring out the marketing benefit.
Winning opens up sponsorship possibilities???

Cycling's business model is impossible for sponsors to make continually money. The $$ to sponsor a team is huge with no solid ROI other than advertising since there are no ticket sales or anything like that, well, aside from track and maybe bmx racing since they are in arena type venues. This is why you see sponsors for big teams change so much.

So can Contador do the Giro / Tour double? Without some major disaster happening, he has the giro in the bag. I am not much of a Contador fan, but should make the tour alittle more exicting providing everyone doesn't crash out like last year.

He had/has no serious GC competition at this year's Giro. Quintana and Froome are likely to make it harder. Also, the outliers, like Peraud and Bardet are there, and could be on point. Even Betancur (ha, ha). I can't imagine Nibali is gonna be a threat. Much as I hate to admit it, last year was a fluke and he's vulnerable. Also, his form so far looks waaaaaaaaaay off. Valverde might split Movistar again, which'd be a plus for Contador. He may not need it. He's looking so, so good right now. And smart. Scary combo. If only the ITT was longer than 14k...

Does anyone else feel like the Tour of Utah is an amateur race?

Doesn't help that Danielson got popped right before the race. RIP garmin no-doping policy.

I think it's the size of the roads. The riders look like cake decorations out there.

Not sorry to see TD go. He's a moron. "After all I've been though..." Yeah, that 6 month off season suspension was a back breaker. His soigneur's salary would have kept Ted King AND Phil Gaimon on Garmin Dale.

Not that the team has done shit. Based on their results this year, JV's essentially out of the sport anyway :) Procontinental next year?

His soigneur's salary would have kept Ted King AND Phil Gaimon on Garmin Dale.

Not that the team has done shit. Based on their results this year, JV's essentially out of the sport anyway :) Procontinental next year?

Poor Phil the Thrill, would like to see that guys get back to the pro-tour. Of the US pro rider, he seems to be one of the least douchey

Yeah, he got blindsided by TD. He trained with him for a while in Colorado. Part of his book, Pro Cycling on $10 a Day, focuses on that. More collateral damage.

Dan Martin to Ettix?
Someone wants to win them some more of the Ardennes races.

Good for Martin, garmin was so blah it is amazing he won anything while with them. If this happen I think we will see him on some podiums next year. Could be a prefect compliment for Stybar for races where the climbers have a slight edge over the punchers.

Liege and Fleche Wallon podium please.

That'd be awesome. Curious to see how he and Ritchie Porte work out. Phinney and van aevermat area gonna be a classics threat.

Back
Top Bottom