this was interesting

Well..

That makes me feel worthless/might be the coolest go pro angle I've seen on a bike. Wild to see him work the bike like that.

One thing that caught my attention is that he is always in the drops... I don't know why but I would think being on the hoods would provide more stability and control.

I seen another trials video where the dude was on a road bike doing all kinds of trials stuff and was also in the drops....

hmmmmm... Me tinks I need to do some experimentalism while in the drops

I used to ride the hoods all the time, but always felt not as stable on them when I'm going downhill, esp when there are cross winds. I think it may have something to do with being able to wrap your whole hands around the bars so you have more control. Took some getting used to but now I feel so much more stable going downhill on the drops .. but for me I gotta go full aero mode .. if I try to sit upright in the drops, it's worse than being on the hoods downhill.

I also peep'd his form - his shoulders are always dead center square to the ground and everything else is like a hinge and lever... I think there is a official tech term that @BiknBen mentioned... Body Position whuchamacholit.

Oh yah and one other thing I wanted to develop is being in the drops standing. I noticed the pro guys do that. That still feels weird to me.

Can't really compare riding the drops on the road to this video. He's probably in the drops for more hand wrap to lift the front and stronger braking, but for all we know, the bars could also be mounted higher in the first place compared to a typical road bike setup. I did hear that people tend to use drop bars on downhills for stability and more leverage on the brakes, otherwise it seems like an aero/power thing everywhere else.

my first road bike was Peugeot P something before all bikes came with aero hoods, back then I always rode on the drops as the cables get in the way and I just recall it being more comfortable. one of the first changes I made to the bike was to switch to aero hoods, since then I'm 80% or more on the hoods. Has the geometry of bikes change to account that more folks are riding hoods over drops? of Maybe most still ride drops and it's just me

I've heard from a lot of people "get in attack position" on the CX bike when going downhill which is mostly bent elbows in the drops. I actually have way too much brake in the drops and prefer the hoodz always.

Even on the road bike I usually just flatten out my forearms on the top of my hoods when I want to get aero.

Back
Top Bottom