What does everybody use on the fat for hard pack and dirt??

Just put 4.8 Knards on yesterday. 25 miles, wow, nice fast rolling, great traction. Very pleased. The bike came with Lous. These are better, much better.

First ride on a pair of 4.8 Knards this morning. Sketchy ride at 8.5 and 7.5 psi over wet roots and turns. Dropped to 7.5 in the front and 6.75 in the rear and it felt like a different bike. Rolls smoother than the GC's, but not sure I was actually any faster.

Both are quite sticky on the trail and rides great. I have a Darryl 80mm rim and I run about 6-7psi in the summer and 3-4 psi in the winter.

I like the Vanhelga as a rear winter tire(I run a D5 up front) .... How is it as a front on trail? What rim size an pressure do you run at?

I'm rockin' 4.5" Vee 8's that came with my fatty. Performs great so far at Stevens and Kittatinny. On Monday at Stevens I rode up sections on my fat bike that I would have trouble with on my 29er. At about 8 psi the grip is amazing.

I'm rockin' 4.5" Vee 8's that came with my fatty. Performs great so far at Stevens and Kittatinny. On Monday at Stevens I rode up sections on my fat bike that I would have trouble with on my 29er. At about 8 psi the grip is amazing.
Thanks for the response. Pat is using V8's on her Boris with good success. I just ordered a set of Surly 4.8"Knards for the Lurch.
Ed

I just installed my "mid fat" wheels - 27.5 x 50mm rims with 3.5" Panaracer Fat B Nimbles. Dropped 2.5 lbs off the bike and it's faster and more nimble. Still kinda fat. (Can I still post here in the Fat Bikes Forum?)

I just installed my "mid fat" wheels - 27.5 x 50mm rims with 3.5" Panaracer Fat B Nimbles. Dropped 2.5 lbs off the bike and it's faster and more nimble. Still kinda fat. (Can I still post here in the Fat Bikes Forum?)
Hey Pat!......Long time, no see! I'm still kinda Fat too..... it was a long winter.
Ed

So anyway , as a follow up, I bought a set of 4.8 Knards for the summer replacement of Bud/Lou. I only have 2 hrs of non aggressive riding on them but they seem to be a good choice for dry summer conditions. Plenty of traction so far. Next time out I will ride a bit more aggressivly to see how they hold the trail at speed. The only condition I could see them not doing well in is mud. We very seldom ride under that condition so I don't think it will become an issue. Thanks everyone for all the help and useful suggestions.
Ed

The Knards seem to be a good choice for me, the Lurch and my riding style. In more aggressive riding I notice minimal loss of traction/ sliding in corners but they are predictable and hook right back up again. So in conclusion I'm very happy with my choice.
Ed

Back
Top Bottom