Having trouble keeping tubeless tires inflated

That sucks! I guess those Conti sidewalls are really porous and take a lot of Stan's to fill up. If the sidewalls have come unstuck, maybe you'll need to see how much fluid is in the tires and possibly add more Stan's. You may need to keep them pressurized at 40 psi for a few days and recheck and maintain the pressure.

Take some soapy water and soak that thing to find the leak. I have a conti mountain king that came tubed with my bike when I got it. Threw it back on when the schwable tire on there began to fail, and it sealed first shot with minimap effort. If it's not holding air still, I'd go back to the drawing board and ensure that the wheel or bead aren't the cause.

Should add I had a set of crossland wheels, and the ust strip made setting the bead a PIA pretty routinely.

i keep thinking this thread is some euphemism for ED...

any chance there is some flashing from the casting of the tire, or weld of the rim that needs to be cleaned up?
are you really having a hard time beading? 40psi is a max live pressure, you are not riding the bike, so there is at least a 50%
safety factor if you think they aren't beading. soap and water is critical - or some other panther piss to make it slippery

use the bathtub method to find the leak...bad valve? leaking through a spoke that isn't sealed up?
good luck!

originally skipped this thread due to repeatedly bad experiences with tubeless
started with Nevegals paired with Blunts, tried about 3-4 times with no luck
ran out of Stans, so gave up the project
moved the Nevegals to Azonic Outlaws, but stayed with tubes

Recently got a pair of 2nd hand Stans Olympics and a set of S-works The Captain
going to give another shot in a week or two, which setup would be the best chances for success?
I'm considering the Stan's setup since I don't have tubes in it at the moment

Have used stans tape, gorilla tape but not the ghetto method
Also tried a compressor to set the beads, another fail

Finaly got to the tubeless yesterday and so far still keeping air
I think going with known combos are the way to go

Used the cup pour method as i couldnt find the stem remover
Spritzed with soapy water and inflated to 10 lbs with a compressor then used a hand pump to 40. Started to hear the bead popping noise at 30 and cautious with the last 10 to avoid a blowout

Hope it holds out for my sunday ride

Finaly got to the tubeless yesterday and so far still keeping air
I think going with known combos are the way to go

Used the cup pour method as i couldnt find the stem remover
Spritzed with soapy water and inflated to 10 lbs with a compressor then used a hand pump to 40. Started to hear the bead popping noise at 30 and cautious with the last 10 to avoid a blowout

Hope it holds out for my sunday ride

Did you go with a Stans strip or ghetto setup? Did you ever get to swap your brake hoses and route that rear btw?

Stans, tired of screwing it up again

Yes, but must of got a bubble, cause the rear lever wont retract without a nudge. Ordering a shimano bleed kit tonight. The downed bike is the reason im working on this 26r setup. Need to bleed the juicy brakes and the Dean is ready to go. The Ellsworth DJ bike was terrible on my back at 6mile today.

The Epic Bleed kit is good and cheaper than Shimano if you haven't ordered yet. Comes with everything you need.

Take it to a shop and have it done in 5 minutes or get a tube. You're wasting your time.

The Epic Bleed kit is good and cheaper than Shimano if you haven't ordered yet. Comes with everything you need.

Can't I just use the cup tool which is about $7 and another 10 for mineral oil? Isn't the epic kit more like the shimano pro version

i honestly had no idea tubeless was this difficult to set up. it took me 10 minutes and a handpump. ..

as far as tubeless tires not holding air, from my understanding, short of just porous rubber, it has everything to do with the fitment of the wheel on the rim. even before wasting all the sealant you should be able to mount the tire on the rim and pump it up without the sealant and it should hold air for some time.

also a trick i found for those without access to a compressor for airing up tubeless, if you pinch the tire around the rim with your fingers and help the bead of the tire get seated out of the inner channel (were the spoke nipples are) and onto the tire bead channel you can probably pump up the tire and get it seated with just a hand pump. all the compressor really does is quickly force air into the tire knocking the tire into the bead channel. if you help get it started its deff possible without the compressor or a fancy charge pump. ive had success with this method setting up a friends tubeless in a parking lot.

@1sh0t1b33r .. you not even tubless son lol.

I have never done tubeless until about 6 months ago. I have a stock Trek Stache 6 29er. I was getting thorn or pinch flats every other ride. The guy Pat at Middletown Trek ordered some rim strips/liners from a road bike that fit in my rims perfectly. I have stock bontrager wheels and xr3 tires with many thorn holes. I did the setup myself. All I did was install the rim strips, install the valves, half mount the tire and install rim on bike for ease of adding the sealant. I then dumped 3 "scoops" of bontrager tlr sealant in, seated the other half of the bead and inflated with a compressor. The secret to getting it to seal was "pulling the bead" by hand to seat it then inflating.I put 45psi in, took the wheel off the bike and flipped it and shook it a bit, bounced it on the ground etc. Then I reinstalled and rode it around the house a couple minutes. Both setups have been flawless since. I was running 34 psi(down from 40+ with tubes), but now I have worked down to 24 and back up to 26 which I feel is my sweet spot. 24 seems to roll over a hair to much for me. No flats, an occasional topping off but that's all. Dave

Trek sells the Bontrager TLR Flash Charger "a pump designed for efficient installation of tubeless ready TLR tires without a compressor."

http://www.bontrager.com/model/11881/?lang=en&region=united_states

It's apparently on sale from April 9-13 for TrekFest.

Does anyone have one of these (flash charger)? I'm thinking about getting one of these or one of the following:
  • air tank
  • air compressor
  • (minus the inevitable emergency room visit)

I like the portability of the flash charger, but not the price . Would be interested in a recommended air tank with a lower price tag.

Back
Top Bottom