Moon Shadows are Evil

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Either way it is tough to ride when you are the slowest. Or were fast last year and are back a few rungs on the ladder and just can't hang. Or even worse, when have lost motivation to hang and end up saying screw it.

you just need to find the right group of people at the right time. the motivation, friendship, peer pressure and like minded goals (big or not) go a long way.

i wouldn't have got into cycling if it was a do-it-by-yourself activity, it just isn't as fun alone as it is with people. granted, if you are hooked and solo is all you have, i get it, you do what you can to get your fix. it's hard to say that riding solo isn't as fun as riding with someone. hell, utah paid me in potato pancakes once to ride with him.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
you just need to find the right group of people at the right time. the motivation, friendship, peer pressure and like minded goals (big or not) go a long way.

i wouldn't have got into cycling if it was a do-it-by-yourself activity, it just isn't as fun alone as it is with people. granted, if you are hooked and solo is all you have, i get it, you do what you can to get your fix. it's hard to say that riding solo isn't as fun as riding with someone. hell, utah paid me in potato pancakes once to ride with him.

Everyone is different but skating and riding never started as a group activity for me. I used to skate by myself all the time and I used to skate with people alot to. But when everyone was sitting around, I was always the one still skating. Same with bmx, the trails are great with a group but I never stressed if I couldnt get there on sunday afternoon. So I used to jump 20' doubles by myself all the time, soul rider as one of my friends would always say and I have said here before. So then smack your face on some hard dirt by yourself a few times and the mountain bike seems a lot less risky. It is more fun with people, sure, but do most people want to sit around and ride a log over 25 times, no. That is self time. I have always said if my schedule happens to align to ride with someone or I find someone out there to ride with, great but if not, great.

On the skating topic, at some point I just started riding my bike more. Every few years i start up again and it weens off. I do skate with my son but he isnt all that into it and if I had infinite time in the day i am sure it would happen more often but it just doesn't day-to-day. He does get stoked when I land stuff but doesn't seems particularly inclined to do it himself. I am not going to push it on him, so whateves.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Either way it is tough to ride when you are the slowest. Or were fast last year and are back a few rungs on the ladder and just can't hang. Or even worse, when have lost motivation to hang and end up saying screw it.
THIS is me and Mr AM to a T!!!
And I am thankful my buddies "put up with" both of us.
and encourage us, instead of making us feel bad and have us toss the bikes aside... again.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
THIS is me and Mr AM to a T!!!
And I am thankful my buddies "put up with" both of us.
and encourage us, instead of making us feel bad and have us toss the bikes aside... again.

Mr Am was riding much faster today. I had a great time riding with your guys. Also met team snotrocket on the way out.

rick81721

Lothar
Few things said above but the 'being dropped' thing struck a chord with me. It's something I have been attempting to drum up in Norm's Steal thread, but it ain't coming out right.

Either way it is tough to ride when you are the slowest. Or were fast last year and are back a few rungs on the ladder and just can't hang. Or even worse, when have lost motivation to hang and end up saying screw it. And the worstest, having life take over and take the time you have to ride, so when you can't ride but you want to...

Anyway I'm sure you get it what I'm saying.

As for the street thing I know what you are saying. I see the things of my youth I won't do now. Same goes for rock climbing. "I could climb that" passes thru my head a lot.

Dave let's be real here - if you had a "real" road bike (i.e. a lighter bike with gears) you'd leave us (and many others) in the dust!

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Funny, I absolutely love riding solo. I love riding with bros and being social too, but riding solo is a time that I can clear my head and let my mind freely wander. No interruptions, no distractions. Meditation in motion.

The daily grind is hectic and filled with all kinds of static. I look forward to that alone time.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Hating on Karma
kar·ma
noun
1. (in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
o informal
destiny or fate, following as effect from cause.

Karma was mentioned to me recently in reaction to a certain little web meltdown and my involvement by stoking the coals, fueling the fire, twisting the knife, throwing salt in dat wound; take your pick, I have accused / accepted the role before on the back end of a fall out and will play that role in the future. I could examine the reasons I do such, but in case minimal fuel was required and the result none of which anyone expected. Sand in a bag, a natural soil, construction material, when brought together constructs a whole other meaning in the context being used. A context which has its own baggage on this site, this activity, sport in general. A term that should be used lightly otherwise karma is going to get you.

But does it? Can we ever know? Most of us know the term, probably used it at some point, but probably use it in the western sense of the word; worry about being bitten by it. As seen above, the origins are in Hinduism and Buddhism and while we all think getting the ancient tea at the local coffee or Teavana (in the fancy pot ofcourse) brings us closer to this, we are far from even trying to relate to the core of the meaning. So if I am to believe in karma and reincarnation (thank you Shelter, 108 and Perma and my sXe fiends in high school who dabbled in Krisha), the karma of a lifetime determines what ones soul will be reborn as in the next life beliefs and mild internet poking is very insignificant. The human realm appears to be a good one, one that most waste and hence come back as an animal. Can any of us here move on to the demigod or god realm, probably not.

But karma in the sense of somehow we are paid back from good/bad in the short term. Many people do immense good and are just dealt a shitty hand. I have seen this personally, all of us have. That person who is the best you know and they are dealt the same crap, or worse, than the worst person you know. It is not all by chance, but it isn’t karma either. You could say that @pearl getting stuck on RT 1 last night was @MTBNJ karma but that is just something we can point to and say, see that happened BECAUSE. You could point out a million things like this. So do I believe in karma, sorta, but truly, sorta no.
bicyclist-gets-instant-karma.gif

Haters Gonna Hate
Man, I hate that term, Haters. Everything not in support is hating now. We were brought up learning; if you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all. I see a lot of people not saying anything, so obviously they don’t have anything good to say. So when you do say something, regardless of the intention, you are a hater. Ridiculous. Maybe I think this way because I am a hater. I just hate everything. I hate riding my bike, I hate seeing the sunrise each morning, I hate full moons, I hate climbing a hill in the rain and dark, I hate when you slow down and enjoy the quiet, I hate when you have those once in a year rides, I hate that riding a bike is the closest that any of us will get to flying, floating. Hate, hate, hate. If people want to focus on just that, then they be hating themselves, so we are all in an endless circle of hate. Broaden the focus; hate on here is such a minimal part of our daily lives so let’s see it for what it is.
200.gif

So Speaking of Being Dealt Shitty Cards
I will follow up on this because my previous threads helped me get through it, riding still gets me through it and I know some may be interested. Last week saw my wife’s 6 year anniversary to being diagnosed with breast cancer, her cancerversary if you will. It is an anniversary that nobody wants but many have. Each one is a celebration of life, not dying. This is a case of what I spoke about above, a good person dealt of shit hand, straight up lemons. My wife could have had her treatment, beat it and went on her way. But no, she saw a gaping hole in support of young women facing this disease and sought out to do something about it, both on a local, state and national level. By means of starting a local support group, assisting in coordination of state and regional events and donating services to national organizations, she gives back far more than she received and continues to do so. She now as upwards of 20 regulars to her support group on a monthly basis, numbers you never want to go higher but it also means that it is more people that have an outlet. She starts a new chapter in that journey today and is/will be an inspiration to young women facing this disease. The cancer she has is genetic and she will do all she can that our kids, mainly our daughters are never left feeling alone if they are faced with this. Cancer scares the shit out of me, it is real, it is horrible and it brought out the best in my wife. I support everything she does related to this, it brings out the best in me, which pretty much no on sees on here. I stand by her without question because damn did she make lemonade, pink lemonade, out of some sour fucking lemons.

Some may wonder how a person such as this can deal with a hater such as myself, but maybe that puts my hatin’ in perspective.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
if you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.

i'm sure there is something like this at play but personally i've just taken to the "don't say anything because if you want to say something it probably doesn't matter in the long run" approach.

what i mean is if i see douchebaggery i used to call it out and end up in e-fights. now i try not to say anything because if i were to remove the filter completely i'd be banned.

So Speaking of Being Dealt Shitty Cards

i got awesome news from one friend who was diagnosed with non-hodgkin's lymphoma. he is in remission. told us last night. that is pretty kick ass. and like the ying to the yang, my other friend... well i haven't gotten an update from for a bit now. the silence is understood. he is fighting stage 4 esophageal cancer. drugs were working, drugs stopped working. he was recently removed from a trial. its a long story but to boil it down, he continues to put up a miraculous awe-inspiring fight. i'm hoping i can poach some watchung again with him this season.

rick81721

Lothar
Haters Gonna Hate
Man, I hate that term, Haters. Everything not in support is hating now. We were brought up learning; if you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all. I see a lot of people not saying anything, so obviously they don’t have anything good to say. So when you do say something, regardless of the intention, you are a hater. Ridiculous.

I don't get this either. I don't see anyone here "hating", or even slightly disparaging someone's success in bike racing or anything else. Just some ball busting - sheesh Lighten Up Francis should be a banner on this place. To me calling someone a hater it's a 100 times worse than calling someone a sandbagger, which let's face it, everyone does to some degree or another. Saying nothing to support someone else argument is a form of (social) sandbagging.

Anywho, on the shitty cards aspect, do you ride in these tour de pink rides every year?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Kirt & I were called Fat Bike haters for not wanting to put a Fat Bike class in the H2H race. To me, I don't think there is any good reason to have a bike classification in a race. Age groups I'm sort of ok with. But a class for a bike I don't like. And yes that includes SS. I have raced my SS in a MASS open pro race before as well as H2H cat 1 races, as a point of reference. Anyway, I didn't think it was supported and I was called a hater. Indeed the word is thrown around too much. I feel it reeks of high school personally.

The word "sandbagger" is a hot button issue. As soon as you win a race you become a target. What I see is a guy who won a race and now needs to defend his position. Like the word "hater" I think the word "sandbagger" is thrown around too much. Yes I think MBM may have melted down yesterday but I feel bad for his position of having to defend winning a race. I will say this about winning cat 2 races now. Enjoy it. When you get to cat 1 all hell breaks loose and it's like warp speed.

As for the "if you don't have anything to say" part, let me put this straight up as to when it is not right to say something because you feel justified in being a jerk:

1. I take a beginner on a ride at Six Mile
2. Kevin comments on Strava that he could walk that fast
3. I delete comment
4. He says it again
5. I block him

What kind of an asshole picks on beginner riders on Strava? This is not a case of having a conversation and not being able to stop yourself from saying something. This is not a case of me talking smack and getting knocked down for it. This is a case of someone flat-out attacking beginner riders for no good reason at all. I'd love to hear the justification of that.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You're all a bunch of sandbaggin haters.

Edit...to add something with a point, it seems like these blogs have way too much passive aggressive behavior. Same with the silly gifs. Sure, there's a time and place and some are funny as hell but if you have something to say, say it. Directly to the person you want to hear it.
I'll give mbm some credit, he directly addressed the people he wanted to. I also know what hes feeling with the whole sandbagger shit. Its irritating that anything but satisfaction and joy are associated with winning a race. Maybe I missed something, but after his first mention of the word, @pearl said something, @Mountain Bike Mike heard it, and got the message, and I thought that was it...end of story. Not sure why it even came back up.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
As for the "if you don't have anything to say" part, let me put this straight up as to when it is not right to say something because you feel justified in being a jerk:

1. I take a beginner on a ride at Six Mile
2. Kevin comments on Strava that he could walk that fast
3. I delete comment
4. He says it again
5. I block him

What kind of an asshole picks on beginner riders on Strava? This is not a case of having a conversation and not being able to stop yourself from saying something. This is not a case of me talking smack and getting knocked down for it. This is a case of someone flat-out attacking beginner riders for no good reason at all. I'd love to hear the justification of that.

Hmmm, honestly can't say I remember that particular comment on strava and I don't think I realized I was blocked from your strava account until BIYF this year as I don't look at peoples specific ride files all that often if they aren't posting them in a thread. Maybe I did more when it was newer. Anyways, putting two and two together I think I may remember this and I think it was one of two people and can probably narrow it down to one, given the sensitivity.

In any case, could be a couple of things:
1. Didn't know it was with a beginner
2. Just wanted to be irritating, to you, not the beginner
3. It was you, the head cheese

I have natural tendency to go against the grain and challenge the boss, the establishment. Even if this establishment and cycling challenge the actual establishment. Something of a product of my skate/punk/hardcore roots. Cycling is different, cycling itself is somewhat punk rock. The generally public doesn't not like the people in the spandex suits that are preventing them to get to wherever they are going 10 seconds later. In my professional career, yes, the irony, this has led to tension but in Office Space fashion, I continued to move up and at this point I usually don't care enough to be that way at work, at least not all of the time. In any case, it can probably be chalked up to me busting on you, not the beginner.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
But karma in the sense of somehow we are paid back from good/bad in the short term. Many people do immense good and are just dealt a shitty hand. I have seen this personally, all of us have. That person who is the best you know and they are dealt the same crap, or worse, than the worst person you know. It is not all by chance, but it isn’t karma either.

I believe the hand we are dealt is by chance, how we deal with it is a test as to who we are.

It seems all religions tell you that your behavior dictates how a god will deal with you...if you are evil, bad things will happen to you, if you are good a reward awaits. This whole notions sounds like something man concocted to control behavior...and maybe some people need this notion to control their behavior.

How we treat others is ultimately the destiny to our own happiness...you can call that Karma if you wish.

Kevin, glad to hear your wife is doing well. I do wonder if your wife was on MTBNJ, would she think you are a dick?

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Kev, I am a demigod and you're not even close to being "mean" or whatever so please pull yourself together, STFU and DO YOU:D

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
that last one was actually funny, the way i like funny.

self deprecation, some good sarcasm with some word play. Only thing lacking is some sort of retro reference,
but can't have everything.....maybe tie in the simpsons.....professor chaos had minions way before gru.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Wow.
I really missed something didnt I
Gotta stop sleeping during the day

Life is like poker.
You play the cards you are dealt
Some are dealt good hands, some bad
Some people are good at bluffing to win
Some suck at it

I was dealt a bad one, sick at bluffing, but I hope to be having fun during the game either way, and maybe blessed someone else in the end.

Kevin, your post about your wife was beautiful. Almost fell in love with you. Almost. I pray for you and your lovely wife.

Beginners...stop picking on them.

Gods and Goddesses. Q.
I am stuck in the comet.

Top Bottom