What does everybody use on the fat for hard pack and dirt??

giff06

Its just too much fun to put away completely so Pat and I are looking for hardpack and dirt tires for the Fattys. Whats everyone riding in both a 4 and 5" tire. Want to find something with less rolling resistence than Bud and Lou for the summer. They are AWESOME snow and sand tires though!
Ed and Pat
So far looking at Hodags, Maxxis Mamouths and FatbNimble or Knards! Not sure which way to go.

Diillenger 4"s are nice, but I know the Larry's (Surly) and Husker Du's (45North) get some love now.

If I didn't go exploring on the fatty (hence still wanting some knob), I would go to the Husker Du's.

I've had good luck with the BFL's front and back (rear run in reverse)...

But I got a good look at @mattybfat Mamouths at SSAP... They look like a great trail tire....

Really looking forward to his impressions when he gets some North Jersey dirt-n-rock time on'em.

I've got 3.8 Knards on my one bike and they are great, now I see they have a 4.8 Knard out, and that could be a good contender.

Try replacing the Lou with another Bud.... the buds roll great and then you only need to swap one tire ;)

Edit: fwiw, ive run dual Nates and dual Buds... the Buds are much faster/smoother

Well the maxxis didn't do well at Stewart's but that is probably from user error. I broke the valve lock nut off so couldn't put air in tire, guess tire was 6-7 psi and was absolutely horrid. Couldn't keep it in the ST groove. I am not giving these a stellar yet until I get more time at different pressure. What is everyone's dirt psi? I figured 9-10 for a fat guy. Don't get me wrong these tires roll super fast but the jury is still out.

Thanks Everyone and keep the good info coming. Sorry to hear about the mishap Matty, I have been running 9.5 psi on the dirt and it seems OK with Bud/Lou mounted in the cornering direction. Right now I'm about 175lbs.
Ed

I'm riding 3.8 Hodags at 9 psi and I thought they were great on the dirt. Great traction and no self steering or other issues at 8.5-9 psi like I would have at 5 or 6. I'm weighing in at 162 or so these days so I could see a little higher being good for a heavier rider.

I have Specialized Ground Control 4.6's on my Muk. Love these tires. Roll better than the Nates (lugs are not as tall), and are about 3/4 lbs lighter per tire. Also, on my 82mm rims they measure 4.3" vs the Nates' 3.8", as well as 29.25" tall vs Nates at 28.75" tall. So....wider, longer contact patch, plus less weight, what's not to like? :D

That said, I mostly ride my regular-tired MTB's once the snow is gone, or unless I'm on the beach or some ballast-infested rail trail.

i have limited fatbike experience, but ive been running hodags on my Farley 8. Ive used them on pavement and varying terrain and couldnt be happier, they dont feel like they produce alot of rolling resistance and appear to be a good all around tire.

I have a couple of ride on my FBN with 65mm carbon rims. The difference is quite noticeable. The bike actually accelerates when you pedal and turns in with less effort. But it still has great traction (probably 90% of the 5" bulldozer tire) with a lot less rolling resistance. It floats over roots and rocks is almost as soft as the 5". The only issue is the BB is slightly lower so I get pedal strikes a little more often while pedaling thru a corner. Definitely a worth while upgrade that has now made my 29" HT unneeded

A big thanks goes out to Jim V at Hilltop for building these for me

Attachments

• RM carbon.jpg
    RM carbon.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 241
I have a couple of ride on my FBN with 65mm carbon rims. The difference is quite noticeable. The bike actually accelerates when you pedal and turns in with less effort. But it still has great traction (probably 90% of the 5" bulldozer tire) with a lot less rolling resistance. It floats over roots and rocks is almost as soft as the 5". The only issue is the BB is slightly lower so I get pedal strikes a little more often while pedaling thru a corner. Definitely a worth while upgrade that has now made my 29" HT unneeded

A big thanks goes out to Jim V at Hilltop for building these for me

I had the same feeling going from Nextie carbon 90mm rims/Dillinger5's in the winter to Nextie carbon 65mm rims with Surly Larry (F) and 45North HuskerDu (R) as a summer setup. The Fatboy seems to accelerate similarly to what I remember on my 29er (although it's getting harder to confidently remember what it felt like on the 29er as more time passes...). I recently took it to the Orange "Twisties" at Six Mile Run and it cornered very well at speed with no wash-outs (the tires make an unmistakable "buzzing" sound when you get it leaned over on the side knobs...). My only concern has been the lower BB clearance, reflected in a few more pedal strikes, but also more frequent chainring contact going over boulders (especially those with narrow, relatively pointy tops) and larger logovers (I've yet to master launching the rear wheel up and over big logs -- need some Ben instruction, I think). I thought I was going to destroy my chainring and/or chain at Dickerson Mine Preserve a couple of weeks ago on some of the fun rock gardens that they've created on the new Blue Trail -- some of the rocks have the tall peaks that I mention above.

I'm considering trying a pair of Vee H-Billie 4.25 tires to address the lower bottom bracket issue. It seems like the H-Billies are the only "tweener" sized tire that might be a good compromise between 4" and 5" tires. Some guys have posted actual measurements of these tires vs the 4"ers currently being sold and they're ~1/3" -2/3" inch taller and slightly larger in volume. Yet, the weight (user reported 1248, 1263, 1280, and 1320 gm) is just slightly higher than my Larry's (manufacturer claimed 1255 gm) and HuskerDu's (manufacturer claimed 1240 gm), depending on which of the H-Billie measured values reflects a good "average." I don't know (1) if the added height/volume of the H-Billies would noticeably help with pedal strikes and rock contacts, and (2) if the added weight would make them noticeably less lively/responsive (in comparison, the Dillinger5's are about 1520 gm, I believe), but they may be worth a try.

One other possible concern I've seen regarding this tire is that the tread width is said to be more narrow than most, which some posters expressed concern over, especially if mounted to wide rims (say, 82mm and up). I'm hoping that the more rounded tire profile of tires mounted on smaller, 65mm rims would make the knob width concern a non-issue. As with everything, there are always trade-offs -- I'll post-up more info if I take the plunge.

Back
Top Bottom