Camp Cromwell property

I know mercer had a “crew” but they barely doing anything other than blown down removal if it is within 1/2 mile of an access point and never dirt related work.
This is the scenario in a lot of parks, generally speaking park rangers don't do much dirt related work. Their scope of work on trails is deadfall on trails and an occasional water bar. Some would like to do more but don't have the time or direction to do so. Park Rangers spend a lot of time setting up for programs, patrolling, cleaning bathrooms, emptying garbage cans, liter picking, cutting grass, posting for hunting, answering a complaint...
your last point, how many other counties have a person, who is seemingly, dedicated to full time trail work?
I don't know of any, but I haven't checked into it. The MCPS Volunteer coordinator told Admin that she needed someone on trails to lead volunteers on new trail builds as well as maintain existing ones. The director of parks saw that new trails were not getting built, even though we had the land and volunteers willing to work. Fortunately my name was suggested for the job, despite working in the golf division for the last 20 yrs. I didn't hesitate to take the new position.
key thing here is usage, those other facilities are used far more than trails ever will be. Also, the county or municipality gets money from the organizations using them, which makes them self sustainable, or at least offsets some of the maintenance cost, hell, they may even be profitable.
This is true. Sports facilities, park programs, Seven Presidents Beach, the 7 County golf courses are revenue generating sources for the park system. With that, we do not want to cater to one user group, and try to offer park users a bit of everything. This is why mtbers need to tread lightly and get a long with all user groups.

Planning to squeeze in another work day at the camp tomorrow (1/5/24) if anyone is around a wants to help out for a bit. Reach out for details, if you can swing it.

Planning to squeeze in another work day at the camp tomorrow (1/5/24) if anyone is around a wants to help out for a bit. Reach out for details, if you can swing it.
Sorry, have to work tomorrow. Great work out there everyone!

We got lucky with the weather and with @jdog being available to put in some machine time yesterday to extend the Mound trail in the middle of the park. While only mostly roughed in at this point, J also had a few friends join (thank you 3 nameless people as well), so we did at least get it raked out a bit. Still needs a bunch of finishing work, this includes the top part as well, but I'm still really happy with the results or at least the looks of it. Can't thank J enough for contributing time to this park. Him and Iggy working the machines have this place so much further along than we expected at this point. And more to come.

And JORBA makes this all possible with the funding. Please join/re-join or donate if possible:

IMG_0474.jpgIMG_0476.jpgIMG_0477.jpgIMG_0478.jpgIMG_0479.jpg

Awesome, that whole trail system is really going to be an amazing place and a great compliment to CR! (It already is!)
Thank you all for your hard work, it is appreciated. 🙏🏼

We were back at it yesterday with @jdog running the machine and a few of his crew helping as well. Got the Mound Trail completely re-routed from top to bottom and raked out. As with the rest of that trail, most of the finishing work still needs to be done. Hoping to make that happen by end of next month. Have plans for 1 additional upgrade, if J has the time and the weather plays nice.

Thank you to J and the others for helping out!

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0508.jpeg
    IMG_0508.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0509.jpeg
    IMG_0509.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0511.jpeg
    IMG_0511.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0510.jpeg
    IMG_0510.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 90
We got over there for a few more hours today, things are coming along. Jason made a few improvements to the work from earlier this week and then started a new section. Didn't have much time for pics, but here's 2 crappy ones. Thanks to Mike, Ryan and Wayne for the helping hand and of course @jdog.

IMG_0514.jpegIMG_0513.jpeg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions