Common courtesy

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Sometimes you just want to say FUCK IT.

Earlier this year I interviewed for a position in JORBA. Two weeks after the interview I rescinded my application. It was because I had met a MTBr with an entitled attitude telling me everything that I was doing wrong.

I rescinded because "why do I want to volunteer to deal with entitled obnoxious people"? That sentiment was recently echoed by a member of our trail crew after reading those recent posts where he wrote, "if that's how people feel lets leave the trail as is till February".

Sadly, as with anything else in life, you always hear the complaints and not the hundreds of people that appreciate your VOLUNTEERISM. You have always been a dedicated person with a lot of passion. If they can do better let them step up, until then they should show just a little respect.

Sadly, as with anything else in life, you always hear the complaints and not the hundreds of people that appreciate your VOLUNTEERISM. You have always been a dedicated person with a lot of passion. If they can do better let them step up, until then they should show just a little respect.
But they don't step up. They just write long boring posts explaining why they are right.

"why do I want to volunteer to deal with entitled obnoxious people"?

I would hope that's not why you're volunteering.

I do it because it's for the overall good of the trails. And I enjoy it. People routinely ride through our TM session and say nothing. They also routinely ride the trails we work on when its muddy AF. I mean I can guarantee there will be people at CR this weekend even though I am 100% sure it's a mess.

But I don't do it for those people. I do it for the good people, and myself.

I would hope that's not why you're volunteering.

I do it because it's for the overall good of the trails. And I enjoy it. People routinely ride through our TM session and say nothing. They also routinely ride the trails we work on when its muddy AF. I mean I can guarantee there will be people at CR this weekend even though I am 100% sure it's a mess.

But I don't do it for those people. I do it for the good people, and myself.
I rescinded my application to the board position because I listened to one too many bike snobs whine snivel complain about WSF that week. Then thought, "why bother volunteering for more work if this is what it gets you". Time is short.

I enjoy the trail work. Seventeen years at Wharton. Five more at Wissahickon. I enjoy the camaraderie and the friendships. I enjoy having a reason to buy large sharp cutlery and swing it in anger while laughing at a joke.

We laugh at those people that ride through and say nothing. Thankfully they are small in number.

Earlier this year I interviewed for a position in JORBA. Two weeks after the interview I rescinded my application. It was because I had met a MTBr with an entitled attitude telling me everything that I was doing wrong.

I rescinded because "why do I want to volunteer to deal with entitled obnoxious people"? That sentiment was recently echoed by a member of our trail crew after reading those recent posts where he wrote, "if that's how people feel lets leave the trail as is till February".
Is JORBA hiring? How's the insurance coverage? I'm dealing with entitled attitude 24/7, at least if I had to deal with it in the woods it would still be progress!

Sometimes you just want to say FUCK IT.
Agreed.

Sometimes I'd like to punch people in the face that piss me off. But there is always gonna be that one person who doesn't like what you are doing on trails. You can't please everyone. Fuck it.

In any case, I wouldn't let someone else's post on the internet dictate what I want to do. I'm not saying it won't piss you off, but take a pause and move on.

Its been my experience that the majority of trail users appreciate volunteers, and keeping trails in good order also preserves them for future generations of trail users. To me this is serving the greater good and worth doing.

Back
Top Bottom