Trail Conditions - Please Read this Thread

After talking to @gt2brew he has convinced me to change the rating interval to 2 days. I think this list better reflects the reality of what the trails look like. I think it may need to be tweaked further, but for now, I think it's good.

I've added some small carryover ratings on a daily basis. Basically, it takes the average park rating and carries it forward as an anonymous user rating. So if the new day rolls around and nobody has rated the parks in 2 days, at the very least you have some data in the DB to start your day. As people add data it will self-correct quickly. This prevents us from having no data if there is nobody that rode the park in 2 days (which is likely to happen on a Mon/Tue for some of these parks).

Nerds.

I'm open to trying to troubleshoot if you want me to try and walk you through it.

How comfortable are you with cookies and checking their values?
Cookies with chocolate chunks are higher value than those with raisins. I know that doesnt help with this trail conditions thing but figured it was important if you asked. I answered your PM.

My computer savviness is about the same as my biking skills. I suck, but not totally.

Thanks for setting up the trail conditions reports, great idea. I notice Nassau is the only park that does not have a link to make comments on conditions. Is there anyway that I can get a link, or perhaps I am not doing something correctly. Sorry I am new to the site.

Thanks for setting up the trail conditions reports, great idea. I notice Nassau is the only park that does not have a link to make comments on conditions. Is there anyway that I can get a link, or perhaps I am not doing something correctly. Sorry I am new to the site.

We don't have a forum & thread for that. @soundz or @gtluke can help with that. I think it probably rates it's own forum? Or do we want to dial back specific forums and go more general? @jShort opinions?

I checked it today and am still getting that "geek'n out feeling".. Even more so today when I saw Green status for some trails.

Getting all Giddy, spring is here and peak trail season is right around the corner...

I think we need to create a forum for Highbridge and sticky the conditions thread at the top just like the other parks. If you build it they will come

I think we need to create a forum for Highbridge and sticky the conditions thread at the top just like the other parks. If you build it they will come

Oh, yea, then I agree.

Nit-picky requests if not too difficult to implement:
1) Make the widget more visible in mobile portrait? (Not hidden behind the three bars.) Perhaps in place of Robots & BOOM?
2) Rate button instead of text.
rate_button.png

3) Ability to link directly to the widget from anywhere. Like this, but nice.

Can Clayton park be added to the list?

At this point I'm only going to put "destination" parks on this list. I want to avoid having 50 parks on this list because I think locals won't really look at a tool like this before riding.

@soundz - looks like @Kirt & @jShort think we should add it. So go for it.

@woody - Noted. Let me think on #1, #2 should be easy enough, and #3 I'm going to put in my pocket for now. I want to work out the bugs on this and then think about a more robust interface in the future. I've gotten 2 requests/suggestions about putting it on other pages. So I may want to focus energy on making it other-site compatible.

At this point I'm only going to put "destination" parks on this list. I want to avoid having 50 parks on this list because I think locals won't really look at a tool like this before riding.

:(
I dont know why it posted 3 times either.:eek:

You had me until....

At this point I'm only going to put "destination" parks on this list. I want to avoid having 50 parks on this list because I think locals won't really look at a tool like this before riding..

I would like to see places like Mercer and Clayton

Ok, 2 more changes today:

1. Another fix for the few people still not able to login. If you are logged into the site you should be able to rate trails now.
2. A tweak to the rating calculation that should help make things more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom