Sunflower fields?

rlb

Last year (or maybe the year before?) someone posted a pic of a sunflower field, maybe in the Somerset or Hunterdon county area. Any ideas where this is? I know there's one along 15 in Sussex county but I don't think that's the one....It was along a nice piece of road.

walter

Fourth Party
was it sunflowers or was it marigolds or something like that? Anyway, I *think* it was either Capers, ArmyofFred or Poo Riggy. Or all three together.

rlb

Pretty sure it was sunflowers, though I'm not known to have a good memory. It couldn't have been capers, he only posts snake pictures.

jackx

There was a field last year on Maple Lane in Allamuchy, if I recall correctly.

40.940360, -74.824662

+40° 56' 25.30", -74° 49' 28.78"

Also nearby, there might have been a sunflower field at 30-38 Quaker Church Rd, GREAT MEADOWS, NJ 07838.

I think it was later in the year, perhaps August/September when they were in full bloom. It's neat the way all the sunflowers in the whole field seem to turn to face the sun when they are not mature.

Robin

It was me who posted them...they were near Flemington. This year they are growing hay instead in the fields.

rlb

There was a field last year on Maple Lane in Allamuchy, if I recall correctly.

40.940360, -74.824662

+40° 56' 25.30", -74° 49' 28.78"

Also nearby, there might have been a sunflower field at 30-38 Quaker Church Rd, GREAT MEADOWS, NJ 07838.

I think it was later in the year, perhaps August/September when they were in full bloom. It's neat the way all the sunflowers in the whole field seem to turn to face the sun when they are not mature.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's usually August. Thanks for the heads up

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It was me who posted them...they were near Flemington. This year they are growing hay instead in the fields.

Where exactly? I have a vague memory as a kid riding past sunflower fields often, but I want to say it was more in the Lambertville area. But I spent a lot of time in Flemington when I was young, so maybe that was it. I want to say it was along the river, not far from that old flea market. Is that still there?

Regardless, hearing that the sunflower fields are gone kills just another bit of my childhood in a way. Kinda sad. I'm sure it was a business but I like to look back and think that the farmer was just growing them because they were beautiful. It's my delusion and I'm sticking to it!

Robin

It's Manners Road - I think it's East Amwell. Manner's Road is between Amwell Rd. and Wertzville Rd.

This was the photo I took last year...
tumblr_lofjfb0hh81qggy6mo1_500.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok, that's not the same one I remember as a kid. Perhaps I was hallucinating.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't really know anything about farming, but don't they rotate the crops to keep the ground fresh or something to that effect?

Robin

I don't really know anything about farming, but don't they rotate the crops to keep the ground fresh or something to that effect?

Why yes Jimmy...you are correct. Crop rotation is one way that farmers try to keep the soil from mineral and nutrient depletion.

rlb

Was it called Derwood Farms? Also, what was the farmer's name? How many acres of sunflowers? Did you by chance see his financial statements also?

Link

SpartaBard

I noticed a field of sunflowers today during my ride on Maple Lane in Allamuchy. They are not blooming yet but will probably within the next couple weeks.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's

this is true as the president of FFA in HS :D and growing up with 2 grandparents who were farmers. Fresh is not exactly the reason, some crops like corn deplete the nitrogen in soil so you need a rotation of crop that enriches the soil of the depleted minerals. This is possibly the 4 year in a row for the sunflower crop on maple. That is such a good route through that valley nary a car...

Top Bottom