Six mile run kicks my ass surreptitiously

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i can never get my heart rate up past a certain point at six mile, i kind of top out in a tempo range and never really get too jacked up.

last time i rode there i avg 10mph at a avg of 130bpm, max 162. My max HR is 199.

gary-coleman-young1.jpg

i still enjoy it very much doe.

sutter2k

I took my 8 yr old there last Sunday. This was our first time here. It was fun for both of us. His 24inch wheels don't do well at other rocky or rooty trails(wiss, french creek). At the same time there is a enough flow and technical features that its entertaining for both of us here. He completed the whole thing on his Specialized Hotrock 24 xc disc. I was on my stump jumper 29er fsr. With the large wheels size rolling
anything was never a challenge. However, on the orange trail, I think it would be fun to try out a smaller more flick able bike. The large 29er with wide bars is a lot of bike to switch back and forth on the tight turns. There are a few areas where the trees are pretty tight together.

Last edited:

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i can never get my heart rate up past a certain point at six mile, i kind of top out in a tempo range and never really get too jacked up.

last time i rode there i avg 10mph at a avg of 130bpm, max 162. My max HR is 199.

gary-coleman-young1.jpg

i still enjoy it very much doe.

Why are you talking of HR when we were talking of having fun on a MTB? Have we totally lost you? For good?

Ian F

Do you have a dropper on the carbine?

Not yet, but I have a Thomson on order. Hoping it arrives soon. If I'd known it was going to take this long I would have ordered the "stealth" version (wasn't available when I placed the order). Oh well... :rolleyes:

Ian F

Tonight I rode the full loop (Canal Rd lot -Blue - Red - Orange - Red - 27 lot - Red - Orange - Red - White - Red - Done) for the first time using a computer of some sort (Strava). According to the GPS, the above is 13 miles and I did it in 1:36 w/ a 8.3 mph average. IIRC, some of the fast guys can do this loop in an hour or less (I forget where that "challenge" thread was). FWIW, I ride 99% of the loop in the big ring of my 2x10, using the small ring for that one steep climb after the plastic pipe on Red.

Maintaining speed through the corners is definitely a constant learning task. Again - this is why I like riding there - you are rewarded for good technique and punished when you get it wrong. Looking through the turn as far as possible is key, but another thing is for the really tight corners you need to be out of the saddle. In DH we called this the "attack position": elbows out, weight forward (but in reality - centered on the bike), and leaning the bike into the turn while keeping your body fairly square. This will make you feel like you're more in control as well as allow you to power out the turn sooner.

Late apexing some corners is important as well. Especially when a couple of tight corners are linked together. If you exit the first turn in the wrong position, your position for the next one can be all fubar. Some of this is looking through and seeing the next corner before the first and in the case of 6MR and occasionally limited sight-lines, simply remembering a section and knowing where you need to be.

The line isn't always obvious here either. Partly because so many ride the lines wrong and partly because the lines are completely different for the opposing directions so they tend to blend together.

You never stop practicing corners. As fun as the Carbine should be, it'll be really interesting when I (fingers crossed) bring the 951 next year. :rolleyes:

wonderturtle

Ian - wonder if we passd eachother. I was wearing a safety orange shirt.glasses. white helmet. Army green bike. Almost had a header with someone - any chance that was you;)

I did canal lot via blue to s.middlebush rd - to (just short of) route 27 via orange- turned around and went back on orange to s. Middlebush - up white trail to Jacques then turned around and went back down white to blue trail - blue trail back to canal. Bike computer said 20.7 miles.

Last edited:

Ian F

I do remember seeing a guy in an orange shirt. We were about 30' apart when I saw you so I don't think there was any danger of a header. Look farther ahead. ;)

Hmm... interesting loop. It's funny, over the past 5 years I've only ridden the Blue, White and Red on the Canal side in the clockwise direction.

Biker Dude

Total Distance

What is the accurate distance for a full loop. I always start at the 27 lot and go from there out through the twisties to white to red and to the canal lot and back on blue, through the twisties and back to the 27 lot. My Strava always shows the distance at 15.4 miles. Does that sound right?

wonderturtle

Hmm... interesting loop. It's funny, over the past 5 years I've only ridden the Blue, White and Red on the Canal side in the clockwise direction.

its similar to the "full loop" except I dont take the "short cut" back on the rt 27 side - turnaround and go back via orange. then on the canal side when i get to the jacques lane lot I dont go back to canal via the red trail (which I dont like) I turn around and go back down white and back to canal road via blue (both trails I love). maximizes the trails I like the most and adds a number of miles to the ride as well.

btw - as someone noted on here a few weeks ago- the white trail is more fun going counter clockwise. I think the blue trail is better counter clockwise as well.

Last edited:

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I always start from 27 and do the lollipop and I prefer blue and white in the clockwise direction. I think it flows better and the roller doubles jump better in that direction. Everyone else I see on the trail goes counter-clockwise though and it confuses me.

Ian F

I always start from 27 and do the lollipop and I prefer blue and white in the clockwise direction. I think it flows better and the roller doubles jump better in that direction. Everyone else I see on the trail goes counter-clockwise though and it confuses me.

Ditto. I like the jumps better going CW.

I like that section of Red from White it Canal Rd. It is arguably the most technical part of the whole loop, at least as far as the climbs go.

What is the accurate distance for a full loop. I always start at the 27 lot and go from there out through the twisties to white to red and to the canal lot and back on blue, through the twisties and back to the 27 lot. My Strava always shows the distance at 15.4 miles. Does that sound right?

Not sure... That's exactly what I did, but starting at the Canal lot. Strava showed 13 miles when I was done. Dunno... it was my first time using Strava, so maybe I screwed something up. Eventually I plan to get a Garmin.

Last edited:

Supermoto

I like the blue and white in the clockwise direction too. What would be nice is if the trail was one direction, it would really help prevent near collisions and you to keep a more speed up. Each month the direction could change

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like the blue and white in the clockwise direction too. What would be nice is if the trail was one direction, it would really help prevent near collisions and you to keep a more speed up. Each month the direction could change

The guys I ride with can barely read and write.

Jonnyrl1

I think this would get pretty boring for us that ride the place 3+ times a week.
Maybe im lucky but im sure I have over 100 rides here and 0 collisions. Plenty of close calls though. (just jinxed myself, im apologizing in advance to the person I collide with)

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions