Man killed on Bike by hit-and-run driver

I Ride Bikes

Its way too easy to get a license in the first place. When I was in high school there were kids thst could not drive. IDK how they passed the test. There should definitely be re-tests throughout life for the driving portion.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Agreed. As a police officer, I can send in paperwork to formally request that a driver I have encountered have his or her license pulled by MVS. However, the hearing and appeals process makes it nearly impossible to follow through on. My department simply can't send me to Trenton for the day three or four times for one driver. I've found it's better to speak with the family about taking the keys away from elderly drivers who are endangering others on the road.

My grandfather was a pain in the ass. He had a bunch of keys hidden for his car. We'd take one key and he'd have two more. We pulled the ignition coil. He bought another one. We finally just took the plates of the car as he wouldn't drive without them.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am not singling out elderly for poor driving skills, although their skills do deteriorate over time. All drivers should be instructed how to pass a cyclist safely, without getting too close to cyclist or driving over the yellow line to make a pass.

A lot of it comes down to the ability to judge spatial distance between your car and objects around you. Road instruction and mandatory road testing would help prevent accidents.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Yes, driving skills, etc. But accidents are going to happen. can play what-if games here all day - ie what were the wind conditions?

But.
the real crime (both moral & legal) is leaving the scene, and only turning himself in after getting caught. geez - don't even stop and attempt to help. it takes ignorant and turns it into malicious.

MMuller

Hate when speaking to people about how dangerous it is on the road and someone always has to make the point of all the jackass cyclists riding that take up the whole road, ride in big groups, etc. I quickly point out, yea, some asshole bikers out there maybe but right or wrong, any kind of incident between car and bike, the bike loses! Road rage can be fatal for the cyclist.

Yea, I feel sorry for the old guy, or anyone for hitting anyone. I bet it's never intentional BUT that ends as soon as you leave the scene, leaving someone for dead AND take 3 weeks to turn yourself in, regardless of age or driving ability!

ReverendNewman

I know this is an old thread, but I remember coming home from work that day from 195 coming up on Blewetts. I must have just missed it. As I was passing, EMS was just covering his body and u could see his head with his helmet still on. His bike, a Cannondale was about 50 feet in front of him all broken up. I wondered who would not stop? At first I thought someone on a cell phone. I rode that road a ton of times. I think the cause may have been as you're coming up that hill, there is no shoulder and then all of a sudden there is a nice wide shoulder. I thought how could someone have hit him. Then I thought, the driver probably didn't compensate for the shoulder and just kept riding to the right. Or he thought it was a two lane road opening up. The man that was hit had plenty of shoulder room. I remember also that was a nice warm day considering that time of the year. Poor soul probably just wanted to get a quick ride in. So sad.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions