Canal Rd - construction - 7/28

Ian F

FYI: I passed by this morning and Canal Rd is closed at the Blackwell Mills causeway, thus closing off the main Canal Rd. parking lot. As I drove by this morning I saw resurfacing equipment in action. I'm guessing it'll be closed for a few days depending on how much of the road they are doing.

jnos

They are repaving from Blackwells Mills to Butler Road. That blocks off Jacques lane from Canal, also. Adidtionally, Blackwells Mills will be closed somewhere between Van Cleef and South Middlebush to replace a small bridge. None of this starts until the Manville Causeway on Weston Canal reopens, so if Canal is closed, Manville causeway is reopened.

You can park in the "lower lot" on the other side of the Blackwells Mills Causeway (or go to rt 27 parking lot).

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I rode north on canal road this am and it was awesome. ZERO cars from butler to Blackwells mills was a dream.

The funny thing is that the road has been widened in a few spots. It is actually wider than the telephone poles in spots. Total hack job.

I wish I took a pic, but basically if you follow the shoulder you will hit a pole. Duh.

Ian F

Maybe the plan is to move the poles? :hmmm:

Granted, making that road wider will be a double-edge sword. The narrowness of it tends to keep one's speed in check. If they make it wider, it'll be even harder to stay reasonably within the speed limit. It's no secret Franklin Twp cops love giving out speeding tickets...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
you should have a special license to drive on that road.

also for those wondering, they arent closing the bridge at the canal on blackwells, they are closing it where that one section of blue trail runs along blackwells mills, over the water crossing, here:
ShowImage

http://www.franklintwpnj.org/Home/Components/News/News/134/1130

rick81721

Lothar
Maybe the plan is to move the poles? :hmmm:

Granted, making that road wider will be a double-edge sword. The narrowness of it tends to keep one's speed in check. If they make it wider, it'll be even harder to stay reasonably within the speed limit. It's no secret Franklin Twp cops love giving out speeding tickets...

I regularly see a cop hanging out north of blackwells mills on canal road at Miller Road - right around that blind curve to the right. Nails morning commuters all the time.

Ian F

I regularly see a cop hanging out north of blackwells mills on canal road at Miller Road - right around that blind curve to the right. Nails morning commuters all the time.

Yep. They got me a couple of times. :eek: ...so now whenever I need to take that road I get to piss off some unknowing SOB behind me as I pretty much go the limit plus a bit.

BTW - I've seen a cop down the road from the "Road Closed" sign on Canal just past the parking lot entrance. I know from experience they WILL ticket you if you try to go around the sign (from a few years ago when they inexplicably closed the road by the quarry for some minor and easily forded flooding). :mad:

I Ride Bikes

I parked in the Blackwells lot last night and I got passed by 2 cars riding both to and from the red trail head on a closed road.:hmmm:

rick81721

Lothar
Yep. They got me a couple of times. :eek: ...so now whenever I need to take that road I get to piss off some unknowing SOB behind me as I pretty much go the limit plus a bit.

I take canal from blackwells mills to amwell every morning during my commute. I go about 35 until that stretch before millers, then hit the brakes to 25 until past it. Had some clown in a pickup riding my bumper last month and sure enough a cop was there. He shoulda thanked me - he would've gotten nailed if I wasn't in front of him. After millers I go back to 35-40 mph.

Kangdoy

Was there tonight. Was going to park at Jacques Lane, but that was also closed. I can't seem to find the lot on Blackwells Mills, so ended up parking at the 27 lot.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Was there tonight. Was going to park at Jacques Lane, but that was also closed. I can't seem to find the lot on Blackwells Mills, so ended up parking at the 27 lot.

there isn't really a lot on blackwells mills - unless you mean the one between canal and river road? it is west of the tow path.

Kangdoy

there isn't really a lot on blackwells mills - unless you mean the one between canal and river road? it is west of the tow path.

Not too sure? Saw what 'I Ride Bikes' posted about parking at the Blackwells Mills lot, so figured there was a lot there. Oh well!

I Ride Bikes

Not too sure? Saw what 'I Ride Bikes' posted about parking at the Blackwells Mills lot, so figured there was a lot there. Oh well!

There are 2 lots on Blackwells on the other side of the canal. One right next to the towpath and the other is further towards river rd.

Last edited:

Ian F

I suppose if you've never had a reason to cross the causeway, you might not know those lots are there... :rolleyes:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions