Buying a 29er

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
6th element and jdog -- great reco.

The el mariachi 2 has a really nice spec for under $2K. Stans Arches, Reba SL with Maxle - nice. jodg your place is far for me, but 27 lbs for a moderately-spec'd steel 29er seems great:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=47546

One of my local shops is a Cdale dealer, and although I'd rather have steel over alloy, I'd love a Lefty:
http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/mountain/hardtail-29er/flash-29er-alloy/2012-flash-29er-2-20618

Any feedback on the alloy Flashes?

Westwood Cycle is a great shop and walking distance to my house, and they carry Giant and Spesh. The Giant XTC 1 is alloy but a decent spec for 2K and I know I can probably get a good deal by paying cash. Anyone a fan?

The alloy XTC is a solid bike. We have a few 2011 versions on closeout for sure. One of my shop guys swears this is the best alloy 29er frame made.

The lefty changes the ride in a good way. Think razor sharp steering and no slop. Spend some time on a lefty and the other options feel noodley for sure.

I would never ride an alloy 26" hardtail but I sure would ride a 29er alloy hardtail.. It is THAT different. (not sure if I would ride an alloy 650b)

The Salsa continues to impress. Frankly murdering the sales of Niner steel bikes. Nice geomerty, better than good enough spec, tapered steerer.. etc..

..I swear Matt said he would NEVER ride carbon.. :hmmm: His route may be the cheapest but I would rather you support your local shop.. Any shop for that matter.

Sometimes it isn't what you pay, but rather what it costs.

macdad

"If it were me with that budget I'd be looking at the Salsa El Mariachi. "

+1 on that.... have the bike, couldn't be happier, since modified to a 1 X 10 - even happier...

MikeP

Do you feel beat up with the alloy HT? I'd never get an alloy 26er HT but do the bigger wheels smooth it over enough?

Have a Trek Top Fuel and had a year on it before getting my Misfit. On my old 26er my back would be sore on longer rides the Top Fuel was a major difference. Heard some many good things about the Misfit frame that I gave it a shot I feel in most terrain except the super rocky stuff that the 29er is just as comfy. Both bikes are run tubeless which IMO makes a big difference as well. 2 guys I ride with are on Flashes and love them. The Salsas are sweet too; look at what specs you get for your money but more importantly which frame fits you better......you can always upgrade parts if needed.

The Salsa continues to impress...Frankly murdering the sales of Niner steel bikes...
The Niners are pricey, so this comes as no surprise. Are they worth the extra money? IDK, only you can decide that after riding both. Many people shop component spec rather than frame spec. The Niner uses Reynolds 853, the Salsa; custom spec'd Sanko triple-butted. The same bike built from two different tube sets could ride differently or unfortunately, the same. Again, it requires you test riding them.
...you can always upgrade parts if needed.
Which is a great argument for buying the best frame you can afford.

Blair

the shop won't give you a loaner? I get loaner cars for my subaru warranty service. (I have a spare bike anyway)

MikeP

The Niners are pricey, so this comes as no surprise. Are they worth the extra money? IDK, only you can decide that after riding both. Many people shop component spec rather than frame spec. The Niner uses Reynolds 853, the Salsa; custom spec'd Sanko triple-butted. The same bike built from two different tube sets could ride differently or unfortunately, the same. Again, it requires you test riding them.

Which is a great argument for buying the best frame you can afford.

Yup, first get the frame that you want/fits you best and then start comparing specs form bike to bike.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
The Salsa continues to impress. Frankly murdering the sales of Niner steel bikes. Nice geomerty, better than good enough spec, tapered steerer.. etc..

I guess this doesn't surprise me. My SIR9 is a 2008. In the last four years, all Niner has done is change the color, tweak the geometry a tad to accommodate the newer fork offsets, and changed the design of the EBB (of which I upgraded to the day they were available).

It is pretty clear that Niner is dumping all their R&D dollars these days into their carbon and aluminum offerings...their steel has thusly has been neglected.

'Still a great bike, though.

I guess this doesn't surprise me. My SIR9 is a 2008. In the last four years, all Niner has done is change the color, tweak the geometry a tad to accommodate the newer fork offsets, and changed the design of the EBB (of which I upgraded to the day they were available).

It is pretty clear that Niner is dumping all their R&D dollars these days into their carbon and aluminum offerings...their steel has thusly has been neglected.

'Still a great bike, though.
There's a couple of arguments to be made here. First, Niner got a lot of it right from the start, so they've only needed tweaking; as shock lengths increase and to adapt to advancements like Angleset. Like the Porsche 911, they started with a good basic design and just keep rubbing it a little bit as needed. Second, fine steel tubesets have been in development for over 100 years and innovations have slowed as they have reached point of perfection, where achieving a small gain in performance isn't worth the cost of the R&D for that tiny gain, or the cost to produce a significantly better (lighter) steel is prohibitive.

Last edited:

glide

I am partial to the Scott and Trek ht 29ers. Their HTAs are slacker (69.? compared to most at 71.?). I have owned 3 ht 29ers, inlcuding a '11 Flash and can't help to believe a 69.5 head-tube angle would be reassuring for my non-racing style of riding. Depending on the geometry of your squish and your application you may want to give them a look.

Thoughts?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What model misfit is that I don't see it on their website.

And you won't it's an imposter, I have lots of spare misfit stuff that I was able to pull a Tom Foolery. Don't tell Peter still waiting for my proto steely.

McKMtnBk

I am partial to the Scott and Trek ht 29ers. Their HTAs are slacker (69.? compared to most at 71.?). I have owned 3 ht 29ers, inlcuding a '11 Flash and can't help to believe a 69.5 head-tube angle would be reassuring for my non-racing style of riding. Depending on the geometry of your squish and your application you may want to give them a look.

Thoughts?

New to the 29er world, I have had my Scott Scale Elite 29er for 2 months and I love it. It's described as "race ready". The geo, specifically the HTA was a deciding point for me. 25.5 lbs didn't hurt either.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
New to the 29er world, I have had my Scott Scale Elite 29er for 2 months and I love it. It's described as "race ready". The geo, specifically the HTA was a deciding point for me. 25.5 lbs didn't hurt either.

And for the win my carbon is a knock off Scott for about the price of ham sandwich...

Top Bottom