Allaire Conditions

Johnny Utah

My yard is a muddy mess, I would assume the same for the park (down the road). A good amount of the locals are headed to the beach.......crossing my fingers for mid-week dryness.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was there at 8 am this morning for some Tree clearing. Trails were frozen, crunchy and ruts. As I hit Tiger to clear trees it started getting soft and I walked all the ups due to mush. Finished out Tiger and headed out. Some skinnys were in there and Fattys as well but by the time I left it had to be crap. I cleared about 4 widow makers and and cleared trees on Hog Bog and Tiger.
What pissed me off the most was that on the Orange trail going in there was a tree branch down blocking the trail. Instead of somebody stopping and trying to move it away, a ton of people hiking and biking rode around it through the brush and breaking branches and crushing bushes. I stopped and in 20 seconds dragged the big branch off trail... Damm I was pissed...
As far as riding here either 1st thing in the am if it's freezing out or not till maybe Thursday , Friday at best..

Clapper

What pissed me off the most was that on the Orange trail going in there was a tree branch down blocking the trail. Instead of somebody stopping and trying to move it away, a ton of people hiking and biking rode around it through the brush and breaking branches and crushing bushes. I stopped and in 20 seconds dragged the big branch off trail... Damm I was pissed...
That blows, you would think that someone out for some exercise wouldn't mind taking a minute to clear the trail. Unfortunately, this happens at Chimney Rock as well.

giff06

I was there at 8 am this morning for some Tree clearing. Trails were frozen, crunchy and ruts. As I hit Tiger to clear trees it started getting soft and I walked all the ups due to mush. Finished out Tiger and headed out. Some skinnys were in there and Fattys as well but by the time I left it had to be crap. I cleared about 4 widow makers and and cleared trees on Hog Bog and Tiger.
As far as riding here either 1st thing in the am if it's freezing out or not till maybe Thursday , Friday at best..
Thank you Mitch!
E&P

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
As always a big thanks Mitch, you are so right about the "not stopping to move a branch" it's like every one expects it to move all by itself....
We rode the beach yesterday on the fatties but I am sure the trails got plenty of use...

rmap01

Well,Iwas their this morning, everything was frozen solid....but alot of ruts from the weekenders...
+1. Was there in the morning as well. Spent some time on Orange (first few hundred meters or so heading out from the trail head is worst - icy and rutted). TW was full of crunchy snow which made for an interesting ride. Hog Bog was in very good shape for the most part although the shaded area closest to Orange had some icy ruts. We finished up at the first signs of moisture. Need to get there early when it's frozen.

ReverendNewman

This sucks! When the hell is Mother Nature gonna release us from her icy embrace???? I just cleaned the cob webs off my bike and now this.
Mid June. May is the new April. It'll be cool damp and rainy for the next month and half. Maybe a few 60's in there. Seems to be the trend the past few years.

ReverendNewman

As always a big thanks Mitch, you are so right about the "not stopping to move a branch" it's like every one expects it to move all by itself....
We rode the beach yesterday on the fatties but I am sure the trails got plenty of use...
To tell the truth, I'm leary of moving anything. I'm not sure if anyone wants it there as an obstacle or deterrent from using the trail. If I have everyone's blessing, I'll move stuff like that when I see it.

wonderturtle

To tell the truth, I'm leary of moving anything. I'm not sure if anyone wants it there as an obstacle or deterrent from using the trail. If I have everyone's blessing, I'll move stuff like that when I see it.

I dont think mitch is talking about logs or a bunch of branches deliberately stacked to block a "retired" trail, he's talking about tree branches knocked into the trail by Mother Nature. i rode Huber yesterday and there were a number of branches in the trail (think the weight of snow on the Friday snowstorm snapped them), I assume that's what Mitch observed in Allaire.

wonderturtle

@wonderturtle This is interesting to me for sure. At the risk of de-railing this from from "Allaire conditions", what was Huber looking like?

huber was good. mostly dry. a few muddy patches (the worst near the trailhead at the main parking lot going to the right). some snowy remnants remain but ride right thru. I went late yesterday afternoon when it was in the upper 30s so the trails, while not frozen, were pretty firm. perhaps if it warms up (and additional snow melt) they might get a little soggy for a day or two (particularly after the rain thur/fri). with that said, going back today as I suspect they will be fine and I anticipate will be fine by Sat. after the rain on Thurs

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Allaire is good to go, I was there today. I didn't ride the Blind Trail, since that's the last one to get dry, but everything else was dry, including the entire length of Tiger Woods.

moray42

Merman
Covered a fair amount of ground today. Only soft spots noted were the sections on the lower orange straightway that have been getting wide with ruts over the past few years, the start of blind at the lot, the bottom of serpentine, and the first curve on blind just past the road crossing after leaving the lot. The rest of blind, blue, serpentine, switchbacks, hog bog, the imba hill, operation, glass, and airplane were all good. There were a couple new downed trees on airplane towards the river. Shifted one awkward one over a bit. Dropped leaving an upright spike in the middle of the trail. Pulled it over the trail a bit more to get that out of the way and make it rideable without widening the trail to one side. Other has a fork that leaves only about a bike length between the 2 log overs. Too long into the brush for me to move. Passed along work to the proper authorities to be addressed during an upcoming ™.
[GALLERY=media, 81]Log 1 by moray42 posted Mar 29, 2015 at 9:13 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 82]Log 2 by moray42 posted Mar 29, 2015 at 9:13 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 83]Log 3 by moray42 posted Mar 29, 2015 at 9:13 PM[/GALLERY]

Mildly Wild

God, its so good to see real dirt under my wheels again - been riding snow since December. Showed up at Allaire yesterday at about 4:45 in the afternoon and had 2 1/2 full hrs of riding time. The only mud we saw was on the trail that leaves the pkg lot on the right hand side down where that trail crosses the small stream. Other than that, conditions were super, nice and tacky.

thegock

Put in 12+ miles Sunday and it was prime. Like mentioned above, very little mud, some down by the river east of the parking lot. So good not to be riding on snow and ice for a change. Lot was full up when we left at noon.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions