6 Mile Run Conditions

MTB Aussie

Giving some thought to adding a ride-around option to that new little 1/2 pipe we added on the blue trail

Being that I have only been out there on foot I was wondering how it rides??

Is a ride around needed??
I say it needs something, perhaps just a reminder that it's coming up! I rolled too slow over the mound and didn't have enough momentum to pedal out with the SS bike. I used the half tree to stop from ending back at the bottom - someone shoulda got it on video would have been funny. Beginners will get stuck in the hole. Great extension though.

ADoug

Yeah, I'd say so. It can be dangerous, otherwise. If there's a group ride moving through and one of the riders up front doesn't make it, there's a good chance the others won't be able to stop in time.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
there is also the blind aspect of it - might not see someone coming the other way - might need to take out some of the mound.??

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Giving some thought to adding a ride-around option to that new little 1/2 pipe we added on the blue trail

Being that I have only been out there on foot I was wondering how it rides??

I think a ride around option would be good. I rode it yesterday from the canal lot with my 17yr old novice nephew. Neither of us had any idea it was coming, and he happened to be in front of me at that point. He got stuck, so I had to stop behind him. On the way back, I rode it (Crux), and he walked it (Stumpjumper HT) again. Great addition, that extension will be really nice once it gets a little more traffic. I agree with the blind aspect being a bit dicey if there's a group and someone at the front gets jammed up. That'd be a mess.

rlb

I had no idea it was there, so I was unprepared and got stuck in the bottom. Not an easy climb out! Definitely leave it, but needs a go-around too

njmark

Professional Cyclist
Here I was thinking I was probably the only one who couldn't make it through there cleanly, I like it and will eventually clear it but like others have said it could be problematic for some. Keep it for sure, but a go around is a good idea.

rick81721

Lothar

I've only tried it once and got stuck, had no idea it was coming. Maybe a warning sign that the "dippity doo" or whatever those things are called, is just ahead​

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rode the new trail yesterday and it was awesome! I agree with the consensus of that dip being blind coming up, though most people tend to follow the unwritten 'one way' on Blue. I did end up stuck since it came up abruptly and it was my first time on a singlespeed. Front wheel made it to the flat part at least, but in hindsight, 100% rideable like the larger dip on Red coming back to canal. Can't wait to try it again. There were a ton of people out with their families on hybrids and such. It's actually a lot easier to ride it then walk it since it's steep and dusty. Watched a few people slippity slide while I was waiting for some friends to catch up. Overall great conditions this past Sunday and looking forward to riding it some more. Wish it was about an hour closer. Unfortunate about the ruts made by some sloppy riders...

rick81721

Lothar
but in hindsight, 100% rideable like the larger dip on Red coming back to canal..

I've never cleared that first big dip on red after the white trail going towards canal rd. That pipe at the bottom and then a quick right and left eliminates any momentum. Is there a trick to that one?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've never cleared that first big dip on red after the white trail going towards canal rd. That pipe at the bottom and then a quick right and left eliminates any momentum. Is there a trick to that one?

Was referring to the straight line dip that had a downed tree at the bottom for a while last year. The one you're referring to, and the one almost right after, have always been tough for me. The one after the pipe I've only cleared once. I guess I was just feeling confident that day and just put my titties to the bar and pedaled hard. The second one is a bit longer and has a root up near the top, which I noticed yesterday people have been climbing far left since there seems to be a shrub/tree that was removed. I usually got up as far as that root, but I may try that left line next time. Both spots may just sketch me out since they're so close to a significant fall on loose dirt.

rick81721

Lothar
Was referring to the straight line dip that had a downed tree at the bottom for a while last year.

Yeah I can get that one most of the time, the one before I think I've only gotten once too. But that first one is ridiculous. There are plenty of 6mr riders here, what's the secret, or does everyone just hike it?

PS that last one is getting more eroded on the side, I always think if I slide out it's tumble down to the creek time

rlb

It's really just about practice. Back when 6MR was the only place I rode I thought I'd never clear those spots. After a lot of time at CR, Mahlon, and Allamuchy it's much easier. Experience taught me to pick a line, keep momentum, and shift my weight properly. Keep trying!

Patrick

Staff member
Yeah I can get that one most of the time, the one before I think I've only gotten once too. But that first one is ridiculous. There are plenty of 6mr riders here, what's the secret, or does everyone just hike it?

PS that last one is getting more eroded on the side, I always think if I slide out it's tumble down to the creek time

i get it one out of 3 - momentum, and look past it once getting to the momentum sucking root.

Patrick

Staff member
you missed it last time :) you have to wait to the next loop?

Last edited:

qclabrat

How is 6m on Friday afternoons, last year, every nice weekend was packed. I'd like to retry some obstacles and avoid traffic

rick81721

Lothar
How is 6m on Friday afternoons, last year, every nice weekend was packed. I'd like to retry some obstacles and avoid traffic

Any day after work is much better than a weekend. The only time I'll go on a weekend is early evening. Otherwise it's like going to a public gof course on a weekend - forget it

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions