Tire pressures and tire question

Johnny Utah

Ed, keep an eye out for tires on ebay and craigslist over the summer. There were a solid amount of deals last year when some fat riders switched back to thier standard MTB's.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Wow, what a difference a pound or 2 of pressure makes at that tire volume. Started at 8 psi and quickly let more air out to settle around 6-7 psi and that was a night and day difference. Should have a portable HV/LP pump by next week so next time the experiment will continue.
It was a beautiful sunny days ride on IBSP, thanks for all the help/ suggestions.
The Floaters are for Pats Boris and seem to be the "go to" tire for many that own that bike. Planet X seems to be "adjusting" the price of them and charging a lot for shipping. I will keep looking and the other thought is to give Pat the Snowshoes from my bike and get Bud/ Lou for mine. Time will tell.....
Ed
Ed,

I've recently moved to wider rims so my Lou is now way to wide for my Mukluck. PM me if your interested in a barely used 120TPI Bud/Lou Set.

Dan-

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ed,

I've recently moved to wider rims so my Lou is now way to wide for my Mukluck. PM me if your interested in a barely used 120TPI Bud/Lou Set.

Dan-

Ok I will bite after Ed's response. What you looking to get for those...

moray42

Merman
Not sure where your tire experimentation stands at this point, but with only one ride in i have made the transition to tubeless on a Boris. Picked up a pair of Origin 8 Devist8ers, and tried foam and tape only first. Snug fit at first, but after a single ride with tubes everything packed a little and it turned out no good. Maybe if i had dropped the tubes right off the bat. Ended up running split tubes over the foam and tape. No rides on the set yet, but i dropped the first wheel to 6psi of so (cheap stick gauge) and tried bouncing, bending, and compressing to see if it'd burp. So far, so good.

giff06

I've heard mixed reviews on converting our rims to tubeless. The split tube seems to offer the highest success rate. It seems most will hold at a higher pressure but burp when it is below 6psi. Please keep us posted.
Good Luck!
Ed

moray42

Merman
Will do. 2nd one is setting up now. First aired up pretty easy once the tube was on. Had to hold the bottom tight to the rim and then it filled. Had to wrap a strap around the 2nd one, and it was a bear to get started. Dumped about 8oz of stand in each 4" tire. Hopefully will be able to put a bit of rolling time on them soon. Probably by the Allaire group ride this weekend at the latest.

moray42

Merman
Quick update. Both wheels holding pressure and back on the bike. Left the 2nd to sit on one side overnight, flipped this morning, and left that way for the day. No time to ride, but did do about a half dozen loops down the 2 small sets of steps from the porch. 8-10psi and I could feel the squish, but not the remotest sign of burping yet. Bit of self steer on the road, mainly during quick dipped turns. Little bump in the pressure and probably fine. Was at 12-15 tubed on the trails over the weeken and there was none, but it was bouncy instead of squishy.

moray42

Merman
First trail ride on the tubeless setup today. Ran at about 10 rear/9.5 front. No real issues thus far. Took it a little easy early on, but plenty of hard hits without any burping. Rolled nicely. Only thing I noted was a small spot of leaking sealant when packing up after the ride. Looks like there was a small spot between the bead and split tube that it seeped thru when the sidewall was pushed in a little. Not very much, so not particularly worried. Think it was actually caused by me trimming the excess tube just a hair to close at that spot.

moray42

Merman
Low pressure update. Beach ride this morning. Dumped pressure just before hitting the sand. Not particularly a lightweight so kept it a little higher than I know other do. With an sks digital I was at 4.5 front/6 rear. No problems cruising along except of really soft sand and the road back, but even then it was manageable. About 2/3 of the way into the ride I noticed some small sealant streams from different spots along the rim, more so on the rear tire. Still no actual burps, and a quick check back at the truck gave me the same pressure I started at. Hopefully those seeps will just cement things together as the dry. Little bit messy but no significant complaints yet.
image.jpg

giff06

Nice meeting you yesterday @ Allaire Moray 42 and hopefully continued success on the tubeless set up!
Ed

Top Bottom