Heckle-cation the other months of the year.

My bicycle goals right are mostly ride more than last year. I did a century last March, so I wanted to do one again this year. It was a little cold yesterday but there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Overall it was a great 5:15 in the saddle. I'm planning on doing last year's revolutionary ramble loop sometime soon if anyone wants to join, pace will be 17-19 mph with a few stops. It's a great loop. Maybe May 10th. Looking at the calendar just now I see a lot of events/commitments coming up. I guess with nice weather comes my loss of down time.. But that's a good thing.

Wow that's a kickass ride. I'm convinced that the key to being a fast road cyclist is stick arms - they cut through the wind like a hot knife thru butter. My guns are like two jib sails. well that's my excuse for being slow and I'm sticking to it. I'm hoping to do my first century ever this sat - but my ave won't be anything close to this

Well done sir!

Wow that's a kickass ride. I'm convinced that the key to being a fast road cyclist is stick arms - they cut through the wind like a hot knife thru butter. My guns are like two jib sails. well that's my excuse for being slow and I'm sticking to it. I'm hoping to do my first century ever this sat - but my ave won't be anything close to this

Well done sir!
MY ARMS ARE SO SKINNY SOMETIMES I LOSE THEM....

Good luck this Saturday! My tips are plan your route around being able to restock water/food so you don't have carry everything the whole time. Make sure you force down a bottle an hour. It's easy to forget to drink in these cooler temperatures. Eat every hour or less.

Have fun and listen to your body!

MY ARMS ARE SO SKINNY SOMETIMES I LOSE THEM....

Good luck this Saturday! My tips are plan your route around being able to restock water/food so you don't have carry everything the whole time. Make sure you force down a bottle an hour. It's easy to forget to drink in these cooler temperatures. Eat every hour or less.

Have fun and listen to your body!

Thanks for the tips - I'm doing HOH which is ~ 81 miles and tacking on (hopefully) riding to the start and back plus a few miles around my hood to get to 100. There are 2 stops during HOH for food/water plus start and finish so that shouldn't be a problem. One thing I really have to watch is drinking water - like you said in cooler weather I don't drink much water at all. My last 3 hour ride on sunday I think I drank 1/2 a bottle!

Thanks for the tips - I'm doing HOH which is ~ 81 miles and tacking on (hopefully) riding to the start and back plus a few miles around my hood to get to 100. There are 2 stops during HOH for food/water plus start and finish so that shouldn't be a problem. One thing I really have to watch is drinking water - like you said in cooler weather I don't drink much water at all. My last 3 hour ride on sunday I think I drank 1/2 a bottle!
DRINK LIKE IT'S GOING OUT OF STYLE!!!

Good luck and have fun!!!

This is my "Heckle-cation" thread, and is mostly about my mellow season but I guess it is time to address this:

ON SPRING/SUMMER RACING PLANS:
I had mentioned wanting to have a more complete MTB season at the end of CX season but I realized racing is kinda a terrible time suck. I literally close my non cycling activity calendar in the fall for CX. I just love riding as much as I can in these months while leaving my calendar open as much as possible so I don't have to say no to weekend plans. On that note, here's what I have lined up..
4/19 - H2H 1 - Mooch Madness
5/3 - H2H 2 Waway
5/17 - H2H 3 - Jungle (love this race)
6/28 - H2H 5 - Lewis Morris (Hometown race)
7/12 - H2H 6 - Bulldog Rump
8/22 - D2R2

I Kinda want to do an endurance race but know next to nothing about whats a good start. Advice and arm twisting is welcome.

I'm going to race Cat 1 MTB this year. I'm nervous about the learning curve but I don't have any grand expectations.

With the rest of my race free weekends I really want to spend a lot of time just doing stuff. On and off the bike. I'm planning on some camping trips this year, some weekend bike adventure camping trips and possibly another week mini tour somewhere. The Soma is getting put back together into touring mode, but this time a little more dirt/gravel oriented. Super stoked on this build, more coverage to come.

I Kinda want to do an endurance race but know next to nothing about whats a good start. Advice and arm twisting is welcome.
how many times do i have to post this? look at the guy in the background, need i say more?
https://www.bikereg.com/2015rothrocktrailmix

I'm going to race Cat 1 MTB this year. I'm nervous about the learning curve but I don't have any grand expectations.
jack_zps544ba50b.gif

Last edited:
UPDATED
4/19 - H2H 1 - Mooch Madness
5/3 - H2H 2 Waway
5/17 - H2H 3 - Jungle (love this race)
6/27-7/5 - BICYCLE TOUR
7/12 - H2H 6 - Bulldog Rump
7/19 - Stewart 45
8/22 - D2R2

I found out yesterday nobody in my department has claimed 4th of July week so swooped in and decided I'd like to plan another short tour! We have Friday 7/3 as a company holiday so I only need to use 4 days! I'm sad I will miss Lewis Morris, but WAY EXCITED FOR THE ADVENTURE. Aslo added Stewart 45 to see what that's all about.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT PROJECT
Background
: For my NYC->Montreal tour 2 summers ago I set up my Soma Doublecross with a rear rack/panniers. I really didn't like the feel of the rear loaded bike. The back end really sways around. I would like to ride with front bags moving forward, however I do not have mid-blade rack mounts on my fork. I've seen the adapter brackets but I'd rather 3/4 ass a whole ass modification (braze on mounts) then whole ass a half ass solution(bolt on brackets).

Also, I had everything I needed on hand to do the brazing, and I just love a good machining project.

I had some 3/8" stainless stock left over from a college project. Step 1 was turning it down to 5/16"
EHJEQSAm.jpg

Then cut that in half and add turn down a step on one end (I will explain)
hjFvScsm.jpg

I then squared off the non step end then drilled and tapped an M5 thread.
Over to the mill! I used a square and angle finder to get my set up about right. I chose 165mm for my center to center distance. I found a few different standards and with the rack I'm using it wont really matter.
VTt6fu6m.jpg

A little extra setup to keep that fork blade from rattling around
zgjJTh4m.jpg

One hole - I bored the outside 5/16" holes with an endmill. That face is convex and I wanted to make sure I had a nice straight hole without any chatter.
mtoAFrPm.jpg

Bottom hole? Yes, I then drilled another hole concentric to the 5/16" hole, center drill then .196" on the inside wall of the fork blade. I flipped the fork to do both hole pairs. The idea is that step on the boss I turned will pass through both sides of the fork blade and give me more braze surface. Overkill? most likely, but I repaired my Indyfab seatstays with the same construction and just kind of like the whole process. Post wire wheeling:
CZ0jXlAm.jpg

I broke for dinner at 9:00 so when I got back to braze at 10 I was rushing and didn't get any process shots. Degrease flux, silver braze, soak. I haven't picked up the torch in a year so I exhausted some flux on the first blade and scorched it a bit, but I just about nailed the second side.
Fl6spQGm.jpg

Some file and sandpaper clean up
rA4nGyem.jpg

I say 3/4 ass because I rushed the brazing. I would have liked to have done a practice joint to remember exactly what I am doing but I didn't have time and wanted to put 'er to bed. It looks like the silver wicked all the way around all the joints so I'm confident with the results, though they came out a little messier then if I had taken some extra time.

I will be stripping the whole fork and painting it a solid color, probably other then black, and probably something really vibrant.

So basically, I'm saying a took a rest day.

i really want to drill my all city nature boy frame for internal cable routing for a rear shifter, thoughts?

imagine the scalpel with internal cables? awww snap, i may make some speed holes in the downtube

Back
Top Bottom