Presta/Schrader Air Chuck

ekuhn

After getting fed up with the $1 Presta to Schrader screw on adapter I started looking around on the internet to see what my Presta inflation options were while using my garage air compressor. I searched around and the "prestainflator" I felt was not worth the $50, let alone pay $75 for the Air-Bob Setup, or wait to spend ridiculous money on the soon to be Park Tool model. So I saw there were several "homemade" options available. I wanted to be able to inflate both Presta & Schrader with the same air chuck for, bicycle or vehicle tire maintenance and know the pressure during the tire fill.

So I went to a LBS, picked up a replacement presta/schrader head for a Specialized pump, stopped at Harbor Freight with my 20% coupon and picked up the inflator. Cut off the end hose on both the replacement head and the inflator, installed a hose clamp, and away I went. On the inflator - there is a barb fitting below the compression coupling. You can finesse it enough to get it loose enough to pull off and expose the hose barb.

The gauge on the unit is pretty close - at 110psi it read 108ish. I'm going to look around at work and see if I can find a more accurate liquid filled gauge.

Total Cost $11.99 for the replacement pump head and hose, $7.99 for the inflator, $1.00 for the air nipple, and less than $0.25 for the hose clamp for a grand total of less than $22.00 to inflate all my tires with presta or schrader valves.

Here is the inflator:
http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-chuck-tire-inflator-with-dial-gauge-68271.html

Here is the replacement hose:
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...=cse&utm_campaign=datafeed&CAWELAID=858051673

inflator1.jpg

inflator2.jpg

Last edited:
Park Tool Inflator

at first read i was thinking that you might want to go and get the new park tool inflator. i have used the new inflator at a demo earlier this year and it is the real deal. you are right about the price though . i do however admire the ingenuity of making your own version i might have to try that myself ... but if all else fails the park tool is always the plan b ..

this is awesome. THANK YOU!

edit: your link to the hose is busted...Sorry, but that product cannot be found.

Last edited:
That sounds like a great DIY solution for inflating both Presta and Schrader valves with the same air chuck and being able to monitor the pressure during tire fill. It's always satisfying to come up with a cost-effective solution that works for your specific needs. Thanks for sharing your experience and the details of your homemade setup.

Last edited:
im assuming this was sarcasm, but just in case

What is wrong with the $140 park inflator?

its $140 and noone wants to spend that on an inflator.

i bought an amazon special with digital gauge for like $22 tho and bypassed the whole piece it together part.

yup, thats the one i have, works just fine, and for the price if it stops ill toss it! 🤣

Back
Top Bottom