Buying a 29er

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
God help me. Sold the road bike, selling the 26 SS and selling the 26 full suss. Finishing the basement and need just one bike to rule them all -- riding trails and riding around town with the 6 year old. So although I love me some squish, a 29er hardtail is probably my best bet.

Anyhoo, after selling the three bikes and a high-end 26er wheelset, I'll probably have $1,500-$2k to spend. I was set to walk into Westwood Cycle or Piermont Bike Connection and pick me out the nicest 29er HT I can afford, and then saw this on MTBR:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=73837&title=sm-zion-ebb&cat=38

I've heard these EBBs can be creaky, but this just seems like a crazy good deal. Steel frame, nice brakes and nice fork -- kinda what I was hoping to build or buy new. Though I plan to run this with a 1x9 setup, so is the EBB is a band idea?

Advice and recommendations welcome. Thx -

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I would look at Niner MCR 9 or SIR 9

Can't go wrong with one of these. Ping our man jdog at Halter's... Dunno how close to your budget you can come if you want a suspension fork, but it is such a great frame it is worth a chat.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
My pick..

This is my pick for do it all bike.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/el_mariachi/

This frame can easily be run ss or geared and for the asking price.

For $1949 you get stan's rims, a thru axle reba and a nice Frameset to boot.

Not the cheapest for sure, but a nice solid, reliable bike.

$599 for the frame.

We commited big time to this one. We have them in every size.

The XS even fits Mandi!!

Frame Salsa El Mariachi, Proprietary Kung Fu CroMoly
Color Slate Blue
Weight XS = 27.2 lbs (12330 grams), M = 27.6 lbs (12510 grams), XL = 28.0 lbs (12710 grams)
Drivetrain
Crankset SRAM S1000, 26/39T, GXP
Chainring SRAM 26/39T
Bottom Bracket SRAM GXP
Chain SRAM PC1030
Cassette Sram PG-1050, 12-36T
Front Derailleur SRAM X7, 2 x 10, Low Clamp, Dual Pull
Rear Derailleur SRAM X9, 10-Speed, Mid Cage, Gray
Components
Fork RockShox Reba RL 29er, 15mm Maxle, Tapered Steerer, Black/Blue, Custom for Salsa
Headset Cane Creek 40-Series ZS44 / EC44, Black
Handlebar Salsa Pro Moto 2, 11-Degree Flat, 31.8mm, Black
Stem Salsa Pro Moto 2, 31.8mm, Black
Stem Sizes SM = 90mm, MD = 100mm, LG = 110mm, XL = 120mm
Grips Salsa Juegos de Fuegos
Front Brake SRAM Elixir 5, 185mm, 6-Bolt
Rear Brake SRAM Elixir 5, 160mm, 6-Bolt
Brake Levers SRAM Elixir 5
Tires Continental X-King 29 x 2.2", Folding Bead
Front Shifter SRAM X-7 Trigger, 2 x 10
Rear Shifter SRAM X-7 Trigger, 10-Speed
Seatpost Salsa Pro Moto 2, 27.2mm
Seatclamp Salsa Lip-Lock, Pewter
Saddle WTB Pure V w/ Salsa Logo
Wheels
Front Hub Formula, 15mm Thru-Axle, Sealed Cartrdidge, 32H, Pewter
Rear Hub Formula, Double Sealed Cartridge, 32H, Pewter
Quick Release Front: SRAM Maxle 15mm; Rear: Formula QR
Spokes DT Swiss, Competition, Butted 2.0/1.8, Black
Nipples DT Swiss, Brass ProLock
Rims Stan's Arch 29er, 32H

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
The Salsa is killer, and J's shop (Halters) will take care of you. I was looking at a Jamis Dragon 29er myself,...

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
If it were me with that budget I'd be looking at the Salsa El Mariachi.

6th element and jdog -- great reco.

The el mariachi 2 has a really nice spec for under $2K. Stans Arches, Reba SL with Maxle - nice. jodg your place is far for me, but 27 lbs for a moderately-spec'd steel 29er seems great:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=47546

One of my local shops is a Cdale dealer, and although I'd rather have steel over alloy, I'd love a Lefty:
http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/mountain/hardtail-29er/flash-29er-alloy/2012-flash-29er-2-20618

Any feedback on the alloy Flashes?

Westwood Cycle is a great shop and walking distance to my house, and they carry Giant and Spesh. The Giant XTC 1 is alloy but a decent spec for 2K and I know I can probably get a good deal by paying cash. Anyone a fan?

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
I have a Giant, and they give you a great package (they hang a nice selection of parts off the frame) at your price point. J is a Giant, and C-dale dealer, so he would have a much better idea as to how they compare.

I Ride Bikes

For me it was a toss up between the c'dale flash and giant xtc. The lefty was the deciding factor. No complaints with the flash. Both of those are about 2k.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i own a 2011 alloy flash that I'm very happy with. The frame is solid and can take some abuse.

but your not going to get the same componants as that Salsa for under 2k if you go with cdale.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you feel beat up with the alloy HT? I'd never get an alloy 26er HT but do the bigger wheels smooth it over enough?

I've never owned a FS bike... HT is all I know. Having said that I feel fine on a HT. There are guys who use a FS 29er because they feel more comfortable in the tech stuff with it. You really have to choose for yourself HT or FS...its personal preference.

29er wheels make it easier to ride the tech stuff because it rolls over rocks more effeciently. You can be a little sloppy with a 29er and get away with it. Not to say you can't be fast and smooth on a 26 but rather the avg. joe will have an easier time on a 29er when the trail gets rough.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This

IMG_0048-2.jpg

Frame
fork
bars
cages
Headset
2 hangers
----------
$639 shipped

x9 sram 2x10 gruopo
-----------
$380 from secret source

BB30 x7 crankset
---------------
$115 ebay

cables and shop fee for press fit
---------------
$10

Egro canecreek barends
------------
$15 ebay

Had saddle, brakes, wheels and was giving some pork chop grips which I like, Thank YOU very much.

Point is you do your homework and you can score some niceness...

Last edited:

Dr Superb

I have a Alloy Flash, and its great. I really like the Lefty. Its fairly comparable to the Salsa that was recommended, but you will get a better wheel set IMO w/ the Salsa.

If you were choosing between the two, there is no wrong decision.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I have a Alloy Flash, and its great. I really like the Lefty. Its fairly comparable to the Salsa that was recommended, but you will get a better wheel set IMO w/ the Salsa.

Yeah these are the two leading contenders for those exact reasons. I have a Stans 26 wheelset (350s laced to Hop Pro 2s) so I know how nice Stans wheels are. But a Lefty would be awesome, even if I had to get a new car rack (or attachment). Coming from rear squish I'm just worried about an alloy HT though. Maybe along with the bigger wheels, some big-ass tubeless tires would be enough to keep it pain-free.

That Misfit is gorgeous, Matty, but I need front suss at least.

Top Bottom