Brake questions!

TNR25

Hello all I've been debating buying new brakes but instead of immediately spending all of the money that I dont have , I want to ask some questions first. I'm not very knowledgeable in brakes so if something I say is wrong please correct me but here's my problems.

On my bike I have shimano mt500 front and back , they are both 180mm rotors with resin pads. My rear brake specifically has been very spongy lately so i believe there's air in the system somewhere. I havent even gotten to fixing that because of my debating on better brakes.

I would rather have too much than not enough. I am looking at brakes that I'm sure I dont need like dual piston br-m8020 but I am reaching out first to see what people think about upgrading to metal pads and different rotors? Or 203mm rotors or is it worth the jump to the xt series ? I often get my brakes very dirty and wet so that's something to think about as well . Thanks in advance - Taylor

Hello all I've been debating buying new brakes but instead of immediately spending all of the money that I dont have , I want to ask some questions first. I'm not very knowledgeable in brakes so if something I say is wrong please correct me but here's my problems.

On my bike I have shimano mt500 front and back , they are both 180mm rotors with resin pads. My rear brake specifically has been very spongy lately so i believe there's air in the system somewhere. I havent even gotten to fixing that because of my debating on better brakes.

I would rather have too much than not enough. I am looking at brakes that I'm sure I dont need like dual piston br-m8020 but I am reaching out first to see what people think about upgrading to metal pads and different rotors? Or 203mm rotors or is it worth the jump to the xt series ? I often get my brakes very dirty and wet so that's something to think about as well . Thanks in advance - Taylor
I just made this exact switch but my existing pair had actually begun to fail and I was planning on taking the bike to Creek this year. I was very happy with those brakes and think for normal trail use you are fine, but like many other people here you get upgraditis myself included so if you want grab em.

I have the XT M8020s with metal pads and 203F/180R rotors and I couldn't be happier.

Spongy feeling will be fixed with a bleed.
What don't you like about your current brakes?

I have m785, m8000 and m8020 on my bikes and I like the m8020 the best. I had Guide R's but I guess I am just a shimano guy when it comes to brakes.

Spongy feeling will be fixed with a bleed.
What don't you like about your current brakes?

I have m785, m8000 and m8020 on my bikes and I like the m8020 the best. I had Guide R's but I guess I am just a shimano guy when it comes to brakes.

hmmm i should take those guides off you at pennies on the dollar :p :cool: spare parts are always good

and with that you have yourself a deal :cool:
Full disclosure.... there is a scratch on the lever. You can't see here but I'll snap a pic later tonight and tag you on a post on OOS thread. Btw... did you ever get the beers? I think they are still in @Mtbdog's van lol
20190216_212131.jpg

I just would like a bit more bite I've always felt like i need to squeeze them harder than I'm comfortable with to get the action I want.
I thought resin had more bite.... maybe I am wrong
Going to 4 pots will definitely give you more bite but cheaper alternative would be rotors IMO.
Not all rotors are created equal. I am not sure what rotors you have on your bike but I had some cheap low end Tektro rotors and replacing them was a night and day difference.

I think your right @Paul H the resin is supposed to have more initial bite but more prone to fade and being affected by water and whatnot . Has anyone ever tried Magura brakes? Or should I just stick with big names

I think your right @Paul H the resin is supposed to have more initial bite but more prone to fade and being affected by water and whatnot . Has anyone ever tried Magura brakes? Or should I just stick with big names
I say this with no experience with Magura… but understand they are good brakes but PIA to bleed.

Full disclosure.... there is a scratch on the lever. You can't see here but I'll snap a pic later tonight and tag you on a post on OOS thread. Btw... did you ever get the beers? I think they are still in @Mtbdog's van lol
View attachment 97341

no, i actually forgot about the beers . . . . thats a shame. . . .

you did see that i changed your 50 cents on the dollar to 5 right?

Not sure if you are able to but have you considered just larger rotors and caliper spacers? If you don't have money spend less, but I'm of the camp buy once cry once.

I got a used set of Maguras they seem like they are insanely powerful brakes if you can figure out how to bleed them, I couldnt and my shop hated them. I then moved on to the 8020 which I love, less bite but the Maguras were deadly when working. Actually shot me OTB on a fire road my first ride with them when I wasnt used to them. @Fire Marshal Max was a witness and enjoyed that. I would stick with your current brakes and look at a bleed or new pads or rotors they are solid brakes. If you upgrade 8020 is more than you need, but if you really want I could sell you a set I just warn against it plus way overkill.

Back
Top Bottom