Wharton Conditions

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
A Forestry bulldozer recently ran down the east side of the Huckleberry Trail. Making the route difficult to follow. The trail crew will be out soon to reroute/remediate. Until then, watch out for all the usual dozer leftovers, and look for the blue trail markers on the trees.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
in a completely unrelated thought, it only took 7 years to get to 20 pages on this thread!

Interesting observation. Let us schedule a quick meeting to discuss. Maybe include a powerpoint introduction to GNAR or if time allows, maybe a discussion of feelings and opinions.

Lee led the charge today and straightened out the dozer damage on the east end of the Huckleberry Trail. All riders passing thru had no issues following the remediations. Nice. Bonus points awarded for a quick mention of Millville's Chuck Norris. Jim is awesome!

In a completely unrelated retort, I am beginning to suspect that the KTM 790 Duke has the same high level of energy as a vintage MC5 video. I think I needs one. yes.

Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Negative. Yesterday's Jack's Swamp fire was reported to be on the west side of rt. 206, southwest of Atsion Lake, along the Burlington-Camden County line. Over ten miles away from the PBT.

There also was a second fire burning, contained, called the Mordecai Swamp Fire. Mordecai Swamp is located east of Batsto, south of the Washington Turnpike. Less than five miles south of the PBT.

I hope the rest of the season is not like this.

Davesnhere

There also was a second fire burning, contained, called the Mordecai Swamp Fire. Mordecai Swamp is located east of Batsto, south of the Washington Turnpike. Less than five miles south of the PBT.

I hope the rest of the season is not like this.
Thanks for the update/clarification!

Davesnhere

de nada. Though I do admit to posting rough coordinates in the hope that @wilburdeb and/or @sandman will ride out there, give us a report and post some pics. For all we know, there are now lines good enough to include in a long ride, and the water from those swamps might now taste like good charcoal filtered whiskey.
blackburn-outpost05.jpg

wilburdeb

Rode to Martha Furnace today. Went down to Mordecai Swamp Road off of Maple Branch Road on the way. Mordecai Swamp Road was plowed as a fire break for the fire. Attached are some pictures. The fire appeared to be completely suppressed.
Fire illust.png
Fire illust.png
IMG_20190616_071639.jpg
IMG_20190616_071639.jpg
IMG_20190616_070835.jpg
IMG_20190616_071639.jpg

Attachments

• Fire illust.png
    Fire illust.png
    312.9 KB · Views: 178

thegock

On or around Monday, July 29, 2019, we are driving up from OC to Batsto Village to ride Wharton. My assumption is that it will be rideable, unless Iggy and MC5 set up right in the middle of the trails. He has an SC Chameleon and I will be on the Fatboy, btw. My concern is that after a 45+ minute drive, the little guy will be disappointed. Any concerns?
IMG_20180121_113727-02.jpeg

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
On or around Monday, July 29, 2019, we are driving up from OC to Batsto Village to ride Wharton. My assumption is that it will be rideable, unless Iggy and MC5 set up right in the middle of the trails. He has an SC Chameleon and I will be on the Fatboy, btw. My concern is that after a 45+ minute drive, the little guy will be disappointed. Any concerns?

All the usual WSF summertime caveats. Wear tall socks and use bug spray on them and the shoes. Ride the trail knowing that it will be summertime brushy in places with ferns, scrub oaks and huckleberry.

Most consider the 9 mile loop using Huckleberry Trail (blue circle markings) more fun to ride than the 19 mile PennBranch Trail.

The FireTower Trail double track (SmellSour Road) was still flooded/muddy on my last ride through. The TeaBerry Trail (red circles) and OakHill Trail (white circles) are brushy and are TM scheduled to be brushed back first.

Last edited:

thegock

All the usual WSF summertime caveats. Wear tall socks and use bug spray on them and the shoes. Ride the trail knowing that it will be summertime brushy in places with ferns, scrub oaks and huckleberry.

Most consider the 9 mile loop using Huckleberry Trail (blue circle markings) more fun to ride than the 19 mile PennBranch Trail.

The FireTower Trail double track (SmellSour Road) was still flooded/muddy on my last ride through. The TeaBerry Trail (red circles) and OakHill Trail (white circles) are brushy and are TM scheduled to be brushed back first.

Thanks. I will report back afterwards ?

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Thanks. I will report back afterwards ?

FWIW: Because of the summertime bugs and brush. Most think of Wharton Forest and Belleplain Forest singletrack as winter destinations. (Other review notes are that: the terrain is flat, there are too many turns, the gateways are too tight, and that its not nearly as gnarly as Allaire.)

A short drive west of OC NJ, there are some of the longest stretches of firm gravel road around. Check the maps around Belleplain Forest and Peaslee WMA for routes. Bonus points for finding the hidden routes along the Maurice River in Heislerville WMA for a gravel and back-road ride to the East Point LightHouse. If its low tide, explore the way out to the forgotten washed away towns of Thompsons Beach and Moores Beach. Tuckahoe Bike Shop might be able to provide more insight on gravel ride routes. The Dionysus Diner in Woodbine is a good post or mid-ride ride stop.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
The recent storms were not kind to the trails. Most of the blowdowns were removed from the nine mile loop today. We'll remove the last remaining fallen tree from the HuckleBerry Trail soon, and then move out to removing the blowdowns from the PBT. Followed by the TeaBerry and OakHill Trails. De nada.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
The deer flies are gone and the post-summer brush back work has started. If you pass us on the trail say hi. As soon as it gets a little cooler, we'll be out there to chop out the large blow-downs left by this summer's storms. DM me if you're interested in helping.

There is motorcycle enduro event in the area on Sunday 10/13/19. If you're riding, keep your ears open. Please pay attention when crossing fire cuts and the sand roads.

The Batsto Country Living Fair is Sunday 10/20/19. A large amount of people attend this annual fair at Batsto. Overflow parking and heavy traffic are normal for this event. Plan accordingly.

Davesnhere

The deer flies are gone and the post-summer brush back work has started. If you pass us on the trail say hi. As soon as it gets a little cooler, we'll be out there to chop out the large blow-downs left by this summer's storms. DM me if you're interested in helping.

There is motorcycle enduro event in the area on Sunday 10/13/19. If you're riding, keep your ears open. Please pay attention when crossing fire cuts and the sand roads.

The Batsto Country Living Fair is Sunday 10/20/19. A large amount of people attend this annual fair at Batsto. Overflow parking and heavy traffic are normal for this event. Plan accordingly.

Thanks for the heads up... Also, thanks for all the hard work out there, I didn't recognize you yesterday when I ran into you(that burnt charcoal camo you were covered in really works)! Seriously tho, Thanks Man! Lemme know about any Sunday TM days, I wanna break in the new axe!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions