Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

daytona

Rode yesterday everything trail 10 and above was good except for Blue trail off 3 amigos. It was swampy so did not go on it. Speaking of blue trail.... where does it go? Is it ridable? By ridable to me I mean like 3 amigos not like trail 4 going up middle of sourlands.

rick81721

Lothar
Rode yesterday everything trail 10 and above was good except for Blue trail off 3 amigos. It was swampy so did not go on it. Speaking of blue trail.... where does it go? Is it ridable? By ridable to me I mean like 3 amigos not like trail 4 going up middle of sourlands.

Blue goes back to 3 amigos closer to roaring rocks. No climbing but lots of big rocks - it takes a long time to dry out

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
It is rideable (when dry) but not by many. Certainly not as rideable as 3 Amigos. And yes, it does stay swampy but we're going to help remedy some of that on Saturday if you want to come out! http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/sourlands-trail-work-session-sat-4-27-9am.46931/

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

always (meaning i always) turn right at the 4-way onto the connector. it goes to the fence opening.
coming down blue is acceptable when dry ;) Cause it is fast!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Went for a hike this morning. It is definitely too wet on the lower trails.

8A9E605D-721E-41CD-B60B-19EE4A407A0D.jpeg

That said, it was a beautiful morning to be out.

A784EA2C-04EE-40D0-B3F5-20D3A9765F82.jpeg

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
I went this morning...and still very wet with thick mud. Had to turn around and head back to the lot.
Bummer. Thanks for erring on the side of caution though and not damaging the trails. When it's wet, go straight up the pipeline and try the Red trails all the way up top (3 Amigos, Montezuma). They usually dry way faster than the lower trails. The short section of trail between the parking lot and the pipeline (starting at Marker 12) has been getting wetter and wetter. I think we will address this at the next TM in June. It's a weeknight one so working close to the parking lot will be good.

phillychris498

Unfortunately, I’m only in New Jersey for another few days before starting a summer job up around Boston. Sourlands is always on the top of the destination list for me, but with the recent rain I assume it’s a sloppy mess on the lower trails. Instead of riding Sourlands, I found this gin at Bourbon Street to drink away my Sourland Mountain sorrows:

43E3C048-7C35-4145-A39B-B4C9BA03E7C7.jpeg
A65012BE-B2F7-4995-A548-A512044EBAE1.jpeg

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Unfortunately, I’m only in New Jersey for another few days before starting a summer job up around Boston. Sourlands is always on the top of the destination list for me, but with the recent rain I assume it’s a sloppy mess on the lower trails. Instead of riding Sourlands, I found this gin at Bourbon Street to drink away my Sourland Mountain sorrows:
Thank you for biking responsibly. As for drinking...do whatever you want as long as you're not driving.

rick81721

Lothar
My most accurate road indicator for sourlands trail conditions is Pin Oak (coming down from Dutchtown-Zion). I rode it this morning and lots of water coming down the mountain. Will take at least 3-4 straight warm days before even thinking about going there.

THATmanMANNY

Best to wait till Sunday at least.

Where can you pick up that gun locally? Direct at distillery?
Had no idea that existed

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Was thinking about a Friday afternoon ride here but not with all this rain. Will probably go out for a TM hike instead if anyone wants to join, say 3:00ish.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
didn't pour in branchburg, could see the storm to the north.
sourland ridge right out my front window was probably spared too.
sun is out now!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions