OOS MOGA

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Truth with bike races, but I've done over 100 running races to know how to run my race and the position myself. Positioning even more so for bike races as Vic and Frank have noted. Here's the dilemma for a lot of new racers, you want to start in the back so you are not that guy who holds the fast guys back. Never sit in the back, take the second row and you will know in a quarter mile if the pace is too fast for the day. Let the faster guys pass early then ride your race. Waiting too long could blow you too fast. Sitting in the back can be frustrating and usually leads to having too much left in the tank. One of my coaches said if you don't free like dying after a race, you didn't put down enough effort. I got nothing else to contribute for racing otherwise
The course opened up to a fire road at the end and I finally got to stretch my legs and opened up for a sprint to the finish. Most of my energy was waisted trying to move through various positions. I agree with your take on it. I also believe in getting out of the way of someone that is faster than me. There were many athletes that entered this race. The fitness levels of some of the racers gave the appearance of being top notch, like a pro athlete(can’t say for sure, simply appearance). While I’m in fairly good shape for my age, I am not an athlete(no false modesty, it’s just the truth). I would like to try the same set of circumstances on a much more technical course and see how it turns out. Still glad I did the race. Stewart is a fun course and it was exciting.

Mtbdog

Prolly a more funner bike but I am thinking he would have been faster on the Ritchey
With skinnier tires and a little more saddle time it could be close. The SC is a much more comfortable to ride for a long time. Believe me I had a sh*t eating grin the whole time! The Ritchey is faster no doubt. I have to do a little gearing shuffle to get the Ritchey where I think I need it. 11-46 would be good .but I need to check with you guys what cassette I can put on the rear. I'm no techy, as stated before I know how to ride 'em, not much what makes 'em go!

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Great time guys! Awesome job by all! - have a wonderful Mothers Day!
Glad they straightened out you position in the race. Thank goodness for Strava as it showed when you finished. I think you were 28 seconds ahead of me so we were a little closer in time for this race. Would you like to share a race recap?

Mtbdog

So the bike is yours now? Wow... congrats!
What wheels are on it? Its a 27.5? If it is... wondering if the WTB i23 would be the better option...
No, not mine but can use any time. Al rode with some of OOS at Wayway, so you may have met him, he's a little more into golf but will do the occasional race. 29's are on it, came with 27.5's but he didn't like the ride at the local spots,HM,Tourne,Ringwood. I like the Renthal bars he uses and he has them cut really short,so going thru trees wasn't ever a worry about smashing a knuckle. If I bring another bike home I'll be living in a van down by the river!! LOL

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
With skinnier tires and a little more saddle time it could be close. The SC is a much more comfortable to ride for a long time. Believe me I had a sh*t eating grin the whole time! The Ritchey is faster no doubt. I have to do a little gearing shuffle to get the Ritchey where I think I need it. 11-46 would be good .but I need to check with you guys what cassette I can put on the rear. I'm no techy, as stated before I know how to ride 'em, not much what makes 'em go!
Wider tires and the slacker geo would make the SC more comfortable IMO.

Your Ritchey has a full XT 11spd group set?
Not sure I would change that unless you want to blow a boat load of cash.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
No, not mine but can use any time. Al rode with some of OOS at Wayway, so you may have met him, he's a little more into golf but will do the occasional race. 29's are on it, came with 27.5's but he didn't like the ride at the local spots,HM,Tourne,Ringwood. I like the Renthal bars he uses and he has them cut really short,so going thru trees wasn't ever a worry about smashing a knuckle.
Yes... I definitely remember Al. I thought he said his name was Hal.... I think I called him Hal all day. lol

Mtbdog

Wider tires and the slacker geo would make the SC more comfortable IMO.

Your Ritchey has a full XT 11spd group set?
Not sure I would change that unless you want to blow a boat load of cash.
I would like to just change the cassette to a wider selection.
The SC is much more comfy as is. But for racing the skinny tires would roll a lot better.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
The SC is much more comfy as is. But for racing the skinny tires would roll a lot better.
Let's put the Ritchey on a stand and take a closer look at it one of these days and brain storm together to see what options are available.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I am always impressed how you can ride the Ritchey anywhere in the state as it’s such an aggressive cross country bike and is the opposite of what people typically use in north NJ.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I am always impressed how you can ride the Ritchey anywhere in the state as it’s such an aggressive cross country bike and is the opposite of what people typically use in north NJ.
He would say.... toughen up cupcake! lol
But considering how much he loves racing.... I think it was a logical choice.
SC Chameleon would be a good choice as the other fun bike. But would love to see Frank on a FS trail bike just to see him go nuts.

Mtbdog

Like I say Vic: I don't know what makes them go, I just like to get on 'em and go. It's just a bike, ignorance is bliss! Thank you for the compliment.
Make sure you all wish mum a Happy Day!

liong71er

@Victor I congrats on top ten finisher,you put a lot work from The last position
My suggestion is,line in the front row next time
Also,you want to get in the front before entering first tight single track otherwise you’ll get stuck behind slowest and unethical rider
6th place, your chance of podium is bigger than you think don’t doubt yourself give it a try next time.,,go to the front and go crazy!

@Mtbdog congrats Frank!
I have nothing to say,other than
You Rock Big Bro!!

jordanrhodes

Glad they straightened out you position in the race. Thank goodness for Strava as it showed when you finished. I think you were 28 seconds ahead of me so we were a little closer in time for this race. Would you like to share a race recap?

Yes- strange my chip never read. Fun time but yes I made some mistakes. As you say it was extremely difficult to pass and the slick mud did not help. I should have gotten out quicker - got stuck for the first two miles unable to pass. Watched cigarette guy run people off the trail (did not want to be one of them). Took a nasty fall of a drop off (Garmin flew into woods and went to retrieve) wind knocked out of me. As vic said - and I agree - prefer more rocks and climbs. But all in all a fun ride and happy to support. And I won a sweet raffle hydration pack! Life is good.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Yes- strange my chip never read. Fun time but yes I made some mistakes. As you say it was extremely difficult to pass and the slick mud did not help. I should have gotten out quicker - got stuck for the first two miles unable to pass. Watched cigarette guy run people off the trail (did not want to be one of them). Took a nasty fall of a drop off (Garmin flew into woods and went to retrieve) wind knocked out of me. As vic said - and I agree - prefer more rocks and climbs. But all in all a fun ride and happy to support. And I won a sweet raffle hydration pack! Life is good.
Did not know that you fell. Glad your OK. Must have been an interesting race as you were in the front of the pack. How were the top 3 riders. Did you get to observe their skill levels along the way? Congrats on the raffle. I saw that, nice! Back to the rocks. Hope you can make Jungle Habitat next weekend.

Top Bottom