Car-spotting thread

mfennell

you should remind her that a Mini is now about the size of a 5 series also ;)
Hahah. For the record, it's actually smaller than our mk7 golf and it's about 1.5 feet shorter than her 318is (3" wider and 1" taller though).

It's a fun "little" car. It rev matches on downshifts (not sure if you can turn it off to do it yourself) and they let the turbo/BOV sounds escape a little. Exhaust has a little snap to it too.

LukeW

Subaru just debuted the new/revised Outback and it looks very nice. But more importantly you can now get the XT trim again, with the nice sporty styling and 260 HP Turbo boxer 1555604140889.png
Would make for a great dual purpose car for daily and MTB.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Subaru just debuted the new/revised Outback and it looks very nice. But more importantly you can now get the XT trim again, with the nice sporty styling and 260 HP Turbo boxer View attachment 93170
Would make for a great dual purpose car for daily and MTB.
Glad they're bringing back the XT, but sad they're eliminating the 3.6R. I am in no way a car guy but since I've had my license I've only had 6-cylinder cars so i can't stand a normal 4-banger. Never driven a turbo though. I have a 3.6R Legacy and love driving it. Bro-in-law has the 4-banger Outback now and IS a car guy. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of the XTs in his driveway soon.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Subaru just debuted the new/revised Outback and it looks very nice. But more importantly you can now get the XT trim again, with the nice sporty styling and 260 HP Turbo boxer. Would make for a great dual purpose car for daily and MTB
I've always liked these, especially the XT trim, when it was still available with a manual. @jdog and @Señor Aguas both had an XT with a manual.

Unfortunately, it seems like the CVT is taking over for a lot of cars these days.

BPaze

Yeah I agree. All they give you now is those lame paddle shifters.
The eyesight system doesn't work with a manual transmission so they have nixed it on all models except the WRX and there has been talk of putting CVT exclusively in that as well which would be a major issue and kill the car off.

LukeW

The eyesight system doesn't work with a manual transmission so they have nixed it on all models except the WRX and there has been talk of putting CVT exclusively in that as well which would be a major issue and kill the car off.
Good point. That sucks, the WRX is one of those cars that just doesn't "work" without a manual.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
It rev matches on downshifts

This is what annoys me about the latest crop of MT cars. For most of us, the whole point of driving a manual is the art of rev matching, heel and toe, etc. Having the car do it for you just takes some the fun out of it. Thankfully my F83 has one of three modes in which rev matching is off. I will admit though in the other modes the car rev matches seamlessly, far better than someone with 40 years of MT experience :)

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Her requirements were 4 seat, convertible, 6MT, all the modern safety stuff. I got a little traction with the thought of a used M4 (dammit!) until she discovered they're about the size of an E39 5 series.
Congrats, mini looks great! However if M4 too big why not M235i convertible?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This is what annoys me about the latest crop of MT cars. For most of us, the whole point of driving a manual is the art of rev matching, heel and toe, etc. Having the car do it for you just takes some the fun out of it. Thankfully my F83 has one of three modes in which rev matching is off. I will admit though in the other modes the car rev matches seamlessly, far better than someone with 40 years of MT experience :)

ain't no clutch required to shift an F1 car.....

iman29

1985 Celica GT. Murdered out.

Too bad the rain is starting and the convertible top doesn’t work they guy came out of supermarket as I was leaving and said he would love to talk but he had to leave.?

Drops the clutch exiting the parking lot and jets off chirped into 2nd gear too.

D85317CA-AE66-424B-956E-7B7B5B88CEBF.jpeg47BDC08D-01C8-4C6E-9AD0-8490D3159A6B.jpeg

Top Bottom