Building a NICA bike

Ron

My wife is starting the Warren County NICA team. And being we have an extra bike in the garage I was gonna make it up for some kids to try. Bike is a 26" Kona Kula Deluxe 15" frame. Right now it is a 3x9. For the sake of ease I was gonna convert to 1x9, looking at 30t x 12-36t. What does everyone think of this gearing?

Thanks in advance.

onetracker

Should work. However, a complete 1x11 XT drivetrain is pretty cheap. You might consider that direction.

Reactions: Ron

Ian F

a 30t on a 26" bike might spin out a bit easy on some trails, but it should be a good starting point.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

The bike presently has 3x9 sram on it. So figure just putting a single ring up front and pulling off the derailleur. Just thinking simplicity. And we have an extra set of Race Face Chesters for it.

ilnadi

I built a bike for my son using an older 26" frame too. I happened to get my hands on a 1x10 so I used that.
couple of things:
* unless you have a very fast beginner, they will seldom get to the smallest cogs, so plan for the low-end they need to climb.
* if you are using well-worn parts they may not last the season. They are pretty rough on the bike until they learn proper shifting.

BTW, good luck with the Warren team, glad to see you guys got it going.

Ron

I built a bike for my son using an older 26" frame too. I happened to get my hands on a 1x10 so I used that.
couple of things:
* unless you have a very fast beginner, they will seldom get to the smallest cogs, so plan for the low-end they need to climb.
* if you are using well-worn parts they may not last the season. They are pretty rough on the bike until they learn proper shifting.

BTW, good luck with the Warren team, glad to see you guys got it going.

Thank you for the information. It looks like a can build a pretty inexpensive SLX 1x11. Which would open up the rear to 46t, but would probably go with 42t.

This bike will also be used by my kids in a couple years; 10, 8 and 6.

Ron

Well last night I pulled off the slicks and put on some older 26" tires I had laying around. Added some Stan's and they are holding good. Eventually I will probably pick up some 2.35" Nobby Nic's or Racing Ralph's.

Bike has a 2001 Marzocchi Bomber on it, but not for long. Found a rebuild Fox F80 RLT on ebay. That fork will take V or disc brake.

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
Well last night I pulled off the slicks and put on some older 26" tires I had laying around. Added some Stan's and they are holding good. Eventually I will probably pick up some 2.35" Nobby Nic's or Racing Ralph's.

Bike has a 2001 Marzocchi Bomber on it, but not for long. Found a rebuild Fox F80 RLT on ebay. That fork will take V or disc brake.

I can donate 2 new/unused tubeless ready 26X2.35 EVO Pacestar Hans Dampf if your interested in picking up in Clark?

Top Bottom