Shimano XT BL/BR-M785 Vs Bl/BR-M8000/8020

serviceguy

Al my spare hydraulic disc brake systems are from the older 10 Speed XT group, which I am going to reuse as much as possible on the new build based on the imaginary bike frame (Knolly Fugitive LT) that I have ordered recently.

When it comes to brakes, I was considering to upgrade to 4 pots (even though the 2 pots seem to work pretty well, but you know, because enduro...) so I was wondering if the older brake levers (BL-M785) will be compatible in terms of volume with the 2 pots (BR-m8000) and 4 pots (BR-M8020) calipers.

Any idea?

serviceguy

In terms of volume? No comprendo
as in volume of mineral oil displaced by the lever when compressed Vs oil volume required to move the caliper pistons. If fully compressing the lever displaces say 10ml of mineral oil but the caliper needs 20ml of oil to grab the disc, you would never be able to brake. Not sure about the actual numbers but you get the idea...I think.

serviceguy

Gotcha… but too technical for this slob
Just get M8020 and end thread

Unfortunately those levers are I-SPEC-II and not compatible with 10Speed shifters (I-SPEC-A/B), while 11 speed shifters are available in I-SPEC-B flavor...

serviceguy

You search skills must be better than mine, i research that issue on MTBR and could not find those two threads. Thanks!

Problem Solvers makes adaptors to bridge the i-spec generations, just FYI

Yes, but no thank you. The adapter cost as much as a new 11 speed shifter!

Problem solved.

absolutely!

[/thread]

qclabrat

You search skills must be better than mine, i research that issue on MTBR and could not find those two threads. Thanks!

Yes, but no thank you. The adapter cost as much as a new 11 speed shifter!

absolutely!

[/thread]
Where's the best price for XT shifters and rear derailleur

serviceguy

Where's the best price for XT shifters and rear derailleur
I think I found a German website that had fairly good prices, but I have to work out the correct exchange rate including PayPal exchange rate fees. That’s what I like of CRC, you see what you end up paying. I bought in euro when the parts I needed where no longer available in the US.

qclabrat

I think I found a German website that had fairly good prices, but I have to work out the correct exchange rate including PayPal exchange rate fees. That’s what I like of CRC, you see what you end up paying. I bought in euro when the parts I needed where no longer available in the US.
rear shifter and derailleur is only about $100 at Jenson. Sounds fair to get one more bike on 11spd

Top Bottom