OOS MOGA

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Everything seemed to be going ok until the Strava group went from a way to post up the rides, to a whole growth/ recruitment type thing. So why not just keep it how it was. Post the rides on Strava, and let it lie. If people want to join up, great, let 'em. But we dont need someone to welcome every person, every day. There are people who join, just to join....just like the meetup groups. The regulars will know who shows regular and who dont.
Current system works by sharing the load by leading a ride. Can't assign a weekend to a new comer if we cannot identify who that is.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Everything seemed to be going ok until the Strava group went from a way to post up the rides, to a whole growth/ recruitment type thing. So why not just keep it how it was. Post the rides on Strava, and let it lie. If people want to join up, great, let 'em. But we dont need someone to welcome every person, every day. There are people who join, just to join....just like the meetup groups. The regulars will know who shows regular and who dont.

I think @ridgehog does that on his own accord when I had admin on strava I just hit accept lol

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Post the rides on Strava, and let it lie. If people want to join up, great, let 'em.

Agree.

Can't assign a weekend to a new comer

I don't think that leading a ride should be a requirement for joining the group, and people shouldn't have to lead a ride on a randomly generated date based on order of joining the group. I probably can't lead a ride the weekend you assigned me, and I shouldn't have to find someone to lead a ride instead of me. If you guys want me to show you around Wildcat again and we can find a day that works, great. I don't generally plan more than a few days in advance though. I joined the Strava group because it was private, so I had to join in order to see when the rides are. I'd like to be an inactive member of the group, and occasionally just show up randomly to rides.

mtbiker87

Current system works by sharing the load by leading a ride. Can't assign a weekend to a new comer if we cannot identify who that is.
I get that. Was just thinking that if it listed them, who ever is going the ride assignments coul dr just do a bunch at a time, when they had the free time to do it, rather than piece by piece. And maybe that job gets shared as well.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Agree.

I don't think that leading a ride should be a requirement for joining the group, and people shouldn't have to lead a ride on a randomly generated date based on order of joining the group. I probably can't lead a ride the weekend you assigned me, and I shouldn't have to find someone to lead a ride instead of me. If you guys want me to show you around Wildcat again and we can find a day that works, great. I don't generally plan more than a few days in advance though. I joined the Strava group because it was private, so I had to join in order to see when the rides are. I'd like to be an inactive member of the group, and occasionally just show up randomly to rides.
Then the question becomes who leads a ride? So if no one volunteers, no rides?
The idea was to make sure there is a scheduled ride every weekend.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I get that. Was just thinking that if it listed them, who ever is going the ride assignments coul dr just do a bunch at a time, when they had the free time to do it, rather than piece by piece. And maybe that job gets shared as well.
When you don't track who is who, that becomes time consuming either way.
Like... if I didn't know you... there is no way for me to know mtbiker87 on mtbnj is Arnold on strava.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Then the question becomes who leads a ride? So if no one volunteers, no rides?

Yeah, but the more people that are active in the group, the more people there are to volunteer. Have you guys had a problem finding people to lead rides yet? If nobody has volunteered and there is no ride scheduled, then get a discussion going in this thread and try and get someone to volunteer.

The idea was to make sure there is a scheduled ride every weekend.

The world isn't going to end, and this group isn't going to disband if one weekend goes by without a ride. You're overthinking this.

Like... if I didn't know you... there is no way for me to know mtbiker87 on mtbnj is Arnold on strava.

You would eventually meet him on a ride and find out. You should use this thread for organizing rides, trash talking, etc. and just use Strava to actually post the rides. Then people don't have to follow this thread at all but can still show up to a fun, chill ride with people when it's convenient for them.

mtbiker87

Cant disagree with that, as people have different screen tags than their real name, sometimes even different ones from group to group.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Agree.

I feel like we punish you guys who help us with the list

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Yeah, but the more people that are active in the group, the more people there are to volunteer. Have you guys had a problem finding people to lead rides yet? If nobody has volunteered and there is no ride scheduled, then get a discussion going in this thread and try and get someone to volunteer.

The world isn't going to end, and this group isn't going to disband if one weekend goes by without a ride. You're overthinking this.

You would eventually meet him on a ride and find out. You should use this thread for organizing rides, trash talking, etc. and just use Strava to actually post the rides. Then people don't have to follow this thread at all but can still show up to a fun, chill ride with people when it's convenient for them.
Back story here is... ppl complained a ride was too early... too late... not that park again... and etc. So... put up or shut up and you lead a ride.

Have we had trouble finding guides? Depends on your perspective but I had to take these guys to HM at least 4 times to fill in. Not mention Vic would fill in at Ringwood and Jungle.

Would the world end? Nope but sure is nice to know there is a ride.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I think it's a nice touch, and you don't have to stop if you don't want to. However, I think that as the group grows, people are going to join the Strava group and never come to this thread.
Yeh, there are so few post as it is.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have we had trouble finding guides? Depends on your perspective but I had to take these guys to HM at least 4 times to fill in. Not mention Vic would fill in at Ringwood and Jungle.

I think with more people in the group this becomes less of a problem. Also, people are always going to complain. If people don't want to ride the same old place, post here asking where they want to ride instead. Then tag some people asking if they can give a tour. I'll also say that between garmin/gpx files, maprika, and trailforks, you don't really need a guide anywhere. Just grab a route off Strava and go ride it.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Back story here is... ppl complained a ride was too early... too late... not that park again... and etc. So... put up or shut up and you lead a ride.

More subject matter for the bar. Not an easy answer but together we will all figure it out

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I think with more people in the group this becomes less of a problem. Also, people are always going to complain. If people don't want to ride the same old place, post here asking where they want to ride instead. Then tag some people asking if they can give a tour. I'll also say that between garmin/gpx files, maprika, and trailforks, you don't really need a guide anywhere. Just grab a route off Strava and go ride it.
That’s how I usually learn most places. Another thought is, does there have to be an official ride every week. For example MTBNJ does group rides a few times a year. It’s a lot to plan. Maybe an official ride once a month then just post s ride as they develop

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod

That's the thing if this fell apart I have your number and Brett's I'd just collect the numbers of people I like to ride with and roll with that.

I know I was part of the issues since I did early rides and I appreciate you Standing up for me. There are enough of us where if I ride doesn't match up there are other people looking. If we could all or a larger group of riders could post rides I think we might have a better time. Not everyone will post a ride, I for one would just pick from the menu if I can

serviceguy

^^^This.

I can't tell a tree from a rock, I just follow the rider in front of me (that is if I can still see him/her), and yet the very few times that I rode on my own I had zero issues following directions on trailforks (thanks @BPaze for the piece of advice, mind you soon after I noticed it's all over PinkBike which I browse every day, duh!), well at least until my phone died (which happens usually around 3/8 of the total length of the ride)...

Top Bottom