My path to en"light"enment

qclabrat

Nice progress and write up. I love your optimism and goal oriented approach to this. Great to see the weight slowly coming off, which imo is the best way to maintain afterwards. If the course is opened for prerides, we can try some practice loops the week before.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice progress and write up. I love your optimism and goal oriented approach to this. Great to see the weight slowly coming off, which imo is the best way to maintain afterwards. If the course is opened for prerides, we can try some practice loops the week before.

unfortunatley iirc the short track course is on private property and not open to pre-rides :/

fortunately, as i recall the course isnt terribly technical that its an issue.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Idk... Jason's optimism makes me want to puke :p
But props on the progress and the consistency unlike someone else we know @Miracle Max Saved Norm's Ride Today :p
When the weather gets warmer, Max should get back on track.... right Max?

serviceguy

I've never entered a race and personally I don't see myself doing it anytime soon. That said, are there any medical certification requested in order to join a race ? My only brush with 'organized sports' was when I played basketball in Italy and yearly medical examination was mandatory, so I have basically no idea.

Congrats on getting in shape, I am trying my best as well but not nearly as effectively as you.

jklett

I've never entered a race and personally I don't see myself doing it anytime soon. That said, are there any medical certification requested in order to join a race ? My only brush with 'organized sports' was when I played basketball in Italy and yearly medical examination was mandatory, so I have basically no idea.

Congrats on getting in shape, I am trying my best as well but not nearly as effectively as you.
No exams needed, just register and pay the entry fee as far as I know. I've never raced before so we'll see how it goes.

And believe me I am not in shape yet, I have a long way to go before that(like probably 40-50 lbs). Thanks though, I am trying and it is appreciated. If I can do what I'm doing, anyone can. Just have to commit and do it.

serviceguy

I guess you have to sign a pretty wide disclaimer before the race then...

No exams needed, just register and pay the entry fee as far as I know. I've never raced before so we'll see how it goes.

And believe me I am not in shape yet, I have a long way to go before that(like probably 40-50 lbs). Thanks though, I am trying and it is appreciated. If I can do what I'm doing, anyone can. Just have to commit and do it.

I was about 160 lbs when I was riding consistently, but that was also 20 yrs ago... right now I would be happy to get to 185 lbs, which is just short a few pounds of your 40 lbs goal, so I'm in the same boat I guess...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
There's a waiver. It's got lots of words.

standard waiver, you are responsible for yourself. And you have to reveal your age on the form.

organized? well, sure, they have a starting time, and a timer, and people on the course when you get hypoxic and can't
figure out which way to turn when there is an arrow and tape! other than that, there is always someone to race inside the race.
at the slow end, it turns into who isn't going to stop. and i don't mean turning yourself inside-out, just keep going, and let the lap
traffic through. in the middle it might be ability to stay on the bike. in the front, i dunno! i usually say hello when they pass me.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
standard waiver, you are responsible for yourself. And you have to reveal your age on the form.

organized? well, sure, they have a starting time, and a timer, and people on the course when you get hypoxic and can't
figure out which way to turn when there is an arrow and tape! other than that, there is always someone to race inside the race.
at the slow end, it turns into who isn't going to stop. and i don't mean turning yourself inside-out, just keep going, and let the lap
traffic through. in the middle it might be ability to stay on the bike. in the front, i dunno! i usually say hello when they pass me.

idk but ill be sure to wave as the front rides away from me (signed up for short track #1 already)

Patrick

Staff member
idk but ill be sure to wave as the front rides away from me (signed up for short track #1 already)

you silly signing up for open.....

1549925913885.png

Patrick

Staff member
my sanity is LONG gone, and i was drinking when i signed up, if i could fix it i probably would, but i think that ship has sailed soooo maybe the second one ill sign up for sport, or maybe i like pain who the hell knows . . .

if you dfl open (which you won't) we'll let you downgrade. you can keep up, and the race experience will be good!

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
if you dfl open (which you won't) we'll let you downgrade. you can keep up, and the race experience will be good!

new goal DFL and look like i was trying not to at the end, got it!

still planning for cat 2 for H2H this season, but havent bought into season pass yet . . .

qclabrat

I'm on the fence as well, I'll sign up if you do. You're a familiar face

jklett

Small update, I broke under 200# for the first time since that stupid crash diet just over a year ago. I'm eating healthy food and not really counting calories but just eating until I'm not hungry instead of feeling full. I'm also doing trainerroad and riding outside when I can along with some strength work on the off days(I should probably amp that last part up a bit). I'm able to ride much longer at a higher effort and recover quicker(sometimes it's just a matter of dialing back a little). I'm happy with the way it's going, I'm going to continue on this path until I don't see any improvement then I'll change it up.

jklett

So I thought I could race. I thought I had enough fitness and skill. I apparently was wrong. I only made 2 laps and crashed twice so I'm not counting that as a victory in any stretch. I'm still trying to work on my aerobic base which until recently has been completely non-existent and am sticking with the healthier eating. My weight has stopped at around 195, varying by a pound or two in either direction so I have to work on that end a bit harder. I plan on pushing myself to get more comfortable and looser on my bike as well as seeing how much harder I am capable of riding in general. I think that my failure at short track has both humbled me and driven me to push myself as much as I am able to. I guess we'll see what happens. Either way I have a feeling that there are going to be quite a few "hold my beer" moments in the near future.

Top Bottom