Do you ever think about moving out of state?

walter

Fourth Party
Me and Mrs. Walter are already working on a plan to leave. We will be heading south, most likely South Carolina. We are growing tired of the winters here. The fact that we both work for global companies makes it a bit easier, as I can most likely transfer anywhere, and she works from home now.

Kids are on board, oldest daughter will be a junior next year and plans on going south for college, but is currently in a good spot school wise with class ranking, gpa, and honor society, so realistically we will probably pack up right after graduation in 2021. Younger one is only in fourth grade, and shes more than happy to pack up and leave.

qclabrat

We've been fortunate to live in a few cool places (San Diego, VT and ME) as well as travel a lot. Some how we are back in NJ.

As an educator I see how NJ values teachers as opposed to other states. One reason we are staying.

Another reason is family. While we don't have kids keeping us grounded, my parents health is a concern. I need to be close to them (they reitred in PA).

We sometimes complain about being here but it's home for at least the next 13 years, when I retire.

^this
everyone craps about NJ, but few recall we have one, if not the best public education systems in the US. There's a reason schools cap acceptances for applicants from NJ, cause we're that good. I don't know what they pay teachers in the other states, but from my knowledge of NJ, they should get big raise. There's a huge deficit in educators coming up and wished districts would pay teachers more than investing in other initiatives.

qclabrat

We've done Ye's a few times. Solid. Kids even like it. Win-win. I'll have to try the WeChat menu.

What's a WeChat menu?
It's like the specials on the wall written in Chinese which you probably can read? nor I...
They basically use social media to advertise their daily specials. Customers can also order perishables like fresh blue crab, oysters, fish, vegetables which are hard to get. Its really a great concept to keep their inventory low and food fresh. They also take suggestions from their customers to expand their menu. Next time you are there just ask about the WeChat offerings.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The schools in NJ are top rated for special services and is part of the reason the school taxes are so high. And this is all ranges of special services, not just services for severe cases. The level of educated, "the bar", is set very high in NJ and dwarf's places like North Carolina. We have a friend who was a middle school teacher in Bridgewater, that moved to the area around Ft Brag, NC. She said that the "grade" level is 1, if not 2 levels behind what NJ is.

That being said, when we moved to PA, mind you 7 miles the way the crow flies, from Lawrence Twp public schools to Pennsbury, it was really hard for my son to get caught up the first year (4 grade) as reading and math were a level above where he was in Lawrence.

In any case, if you have school age kids, the grass may not be as green if you consider the school aspect.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
The schools in NJ are top rated for special services and is part of the reason the school taxes are so high. And this is all ranges of special services, not just services for severe cases. The level of educated, "the bar", is set very high in NJ and dwarf's places like North Carolina. We have a friend who was a middle school teacher in Bridgewater, that moved to the area around Ft Brag, NC. She said that the "grade" level is 1, if not 2 levels behind what NJ is.

That being said, when we moved to PA, mind you 7 miles the way the crow flies, from Lawrence Twp public schools to Pennsbury, it was really hard for my son to get caught up the first year (4 grade) as reading and math were a level above where he was in Lawrence.

In any case, if you have school age kids, the grass may not be as green if you consider the school aspect.

While it's hard to argue that the school system is always touted to be better than anywhere else in the country, using it as a reason to not relocate doesn't make sense. I think your kid can still be a useful person in society if they are in any of the other 49 states. Being a teacher on the other hand, I can see why you would want to stay in NJ!

Captain Brainstorm

I’ve been living in NJ most of my life, and it’s been good. We have close access to the greatest city on earth, beaches, and wilderness within an hour’s drive. I think NJ is very underrated. Having said that, as soon as my kids are out of school I’m outa here. I’ve had enough of the high taxes, our shitty politicians and their knee-jerk reactions, and the overall sense of entitlement that’s become an East and West coast metropolitan thing. There are other places out there where life is just as good, if not better.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
While it's hard to argue that the school system is always touted to be better than anywhere else in the country, using it as a reason to not relocate doesn't make sense. I think your kid can still be a useful person in society if they are in any of the other 49 states. Being a teacher on the other hand, I can see why you would want to stay in NJ!
There are all kinds of BS ratings that go into what states have better schools and it can't be applied broad brush. Charlotte no doubt has better schools than the bumblef sections, same as my area is better than Philly and bubmlef PA. People going to make what they make of themselves, but to say it shouldnt have an impact on relocating / selection., is alittle short sighted.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Park City has great schools and I pay $503 a YEAR taxes.

Don't get me started. I'm out as soon as I can.
Ya I went there....AND JUST LOOK AT ME!

Great teachers...the kids were rich assholes tho

Its fine, your child can still become a doctor down there.....but if he moves to NJ he will only be allowed to work on farm animals.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
^this
everyone craps about NJ, but few recall we have one, if not the best public education systems in the US. There's a reason schools cap acceptances for applicants from NJ, cause we're that good. I don't know what they pay teachers in the other states, but from my knowledge of NJ, they should get big raise. There's a huge deficit in educators coming up and wished districts would pay teachers more than investing in other initiatives.

But that can also mean more competition. Some kids can thrive in these situations. Others not so much.

SCOTTscale

Ya I went there....AND JUST LOOK AT ME!

Great teachers...the kids were rich assholes tho

Its fine, your child can still become a doctor down there.....but if he moves to NJ he will only be allowed to work on farm animals.
Most NJ towns have rich assholes also. :)

You kinda have to be rich to live here.

Top Bottom