OOS MOGA

qclabrat

Sorry I couldn't make the ride, again! Is there anything going on for tomorrow?

On a side note decided to order the fugitive, only to find out it would be here in 4 weeks! I'm doing some research in order to find if any 'local' dealer (the closer is in CT) has a large frame available in raw aluminum, but since they don't seem to keep much in stock and the size large being the most common these days I suppose I will have to wait for a month. I have time to build the wheels and source some 'on sale' components until then.
What's your ideal build, going to look like? Ideal meaning realistic...
Also have small projects underway before committing to an all out ground up XC build

Put in a Kogel for the L'll Red Engine bike being used for the randos this year.
IMG_20190209_135054.jpg

serviceguy

What's your ideal build, going to look like? Ideal meaning realistic...
Also have small projects underway before committing to an all out ground up XC build

Put in a Kogel for the L'll Red Engine bike being used for the randos this year.
View attachment 87481

The new frame is going to be 'frankensteined', kind of...planning on getting a Fox 36 factory fork 160mm (I am checking with Knolly if that would void the warranty, otherwise I am back to 150mm), Hope hubs, MTX33 29" rims (I am not sufficiently light for a more Performing set of wheels)and possibly use a brand new 10 speed group that I have already. The frame is compatible with Shimano Di2 so eventually a 12 speed XT group would go in (if it ever comes out that is, the XTR hasn't yet). Planning on either OneUp seatpost or PNW, convenient and don't suffer from winter issues. Most other components I had already from previously planned build (i.e Salsa carbon handlebar, chainrings etc.). Need to figure out the 56.5 chain line though so I may have to spend more that currently planning. This frame will have to last me a few years!

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
OOS Discussion:

Figure I would circle back to keep a group effort going. Trying to keep OOS a group effort and take the pressure off of Paul. So far there are 3 suggestions on how to help out. Not putting anyone on the spot, simply looking for more ideas. Open discussion...

First person to respond was @Miracle Max Saved Norm's Ride Today and he is open to accepting new members on Strava and post rides as needed. Looking to ease up on central management and keep it less formal.

Second person is @BPaze who had a similar approach and also noted to not be concerned who the members on Strava are.

Third was @fidodie who had a very organized approach. Similar to Paul’s approach but to have a team of and or rotating administrators. Great way to keep things organized and not put too much pressure on one person. Team effort.

My thought (at least for now) is similar to Max and Brett, keep it less formal. Go back to just posting a ride as they come up. Recently most of the new OOS members on Strava are either seasoned riders and some racers. A truly out of shape or noobie may get intimated having to lead a ride. Anyone who knows me knows that I welcome everyone of all backgrounds and abilities. Sometimes I like to go on a slow social ride and sometimes I like to hammer through. Wherever the Group decides, I’m ready to help out.

Since this is a group effort, looking for other thoughts. I’ll be back on later as in meetings all day.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
OOS Discussion:

Figure I would circle back to keep a group effort going. Trying to keep OOS a group effort and take the pressure off of Paul. So far there are 3 suggestions on how to help out. Not putting anyone on the spot, simply looking for more ideas. Open discussion...

First person to respond was @Miracle Max Saved Norm's Ride Today and he is open to accepting new members on Strava and post rides as needed. Looking to ease up on central management and keep it less formal.

Second person is @BPaze who had a similar approach and also noted to not be concerned who the members on Strava are.

Third was @fidodie who had a very organized approach. Similar to Paul’s approach but to have a team of and or rotating administrators. Great way to keep things organized and not put too much pressure on one person. Team effort.

My thought (at least for now) is similar to Max and Brett, keep it less formal. Go back to just posting a ride as they come up. Recently most of the new OOS members on Strava are either seasoned riders and some racers. A truly out of shape or noobie may get intimated having to lead a ride. Anyone who knows me knows that I welcome everyone of all backgrounds and abilities. Sometimes I like to go on a slow social ride and sometimes I like to hammer through. Wherever the Group decides, I’m ready to help out.

Since this is a group effort, looking for other thoughts. I’ll be back on later as in meetings all day.

Addresses my concern about new people being stressed about leading a ride. Let noobs join it isn't taxing to host a ride if you've been doing this for a while but new people and new sport will make anyone shy to join.

I also want to point out a lot of people here my self excluded aren't OOS, this is a social time where we get to break the mold of our day to day lives. Anyone can join us from that guy who left giant to the ladies of mtbnj, our big rides are some of our best.

There is one thing I still want to address, emergency contacts. I know @Mathers doesn't want me having his wife's number, I get it who could resist my butt crack. I was thinking of handing out emergency contact cards that everyone would hold onto and just keep them in their bags and or glove box. That way we aren't caught flat-footed if something happens.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I think the first thing you guys should decide is whether OOS will be an administrative group or a free for all group.
Then you can brain storm on the application.

Rides are set up already til the end of the month. You have ample time to make decisions.
However, IMO, this cannot be hashed out on the forum. I suggest, a physical meeting somewhere and have some food and beer and bring your ideas for discussion. Besides, it will be a good excuse to just meet up and have a merry ole' time but without the bikes.

BPaze

OOS Discussion:

As far as the Strava members go, I don't think we should worry too much about the people that join the group and never show up. I think anyone that on occasion shows up to the rides should lead them, but at that point we will know them and it is fun picking a park and setting up a ride. If I was more available I would lead much more often, in fact I am happy to lead rides any time I am available to help pick up the slack. Just don't be surprised if it is always Ringwood, Stephens or the Tourne

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I think the first thing you guys should decide is whether OOS will be an administrative group or a free for all group.
Then you can brain storm on the application.

Rides are set up already til the end of the month. You have ample time to make decisions.
However, IMO, this cannot be hashed out on the forum. I suggest, a physical meeting somewhere and have some food and beer and bring your ideas for discussion. Besides, it will be a good excuse to just meet up and have a merry ole' time but without the bikes.

Thread started for second meet

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Couple of things you are guys are missing. Its cold... its winter.
Once the weather gets warmer, ppl will ride. Even in the cold, there are 7-10 ppl showing up. How many ppl at the last Tourne ride? My prediction is that there will be 15-20 ppl on a given weekend when it becomes shorts weather. Keep this in mind.

Personally, I think It will be a shit show if there is no form of central administration.
Its no longer Walter, Eric, Kevin, Max, Brett, Frank and Victor getting together for a ride. Maybe this is what we wanted... IDK but its too late now. We have 50+ members on Strava. Maybe I am over thinking this but IMO, at this point of where we are, it needs to be managed in some organized fashion if we are to continue.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Couple of things you are guys are missing. Its cold... its winter.
Once the weather gets warmer, ppl will ride. Even in the cold, there are 7-10 ppl showing up. How many ppl at the last Tourne ride? My prediction is that there will be 15-20 ppl on a given weekend when it becomes shorts weather. Keep this in mind.

Personally, I think It will be a shit show if there is no form of central administration.
Its no longer Walter, Eric, Kevin, Max, Brett, Frank and Victor getting together for a ride. Maybe this is what we wanted... IDK but its too late now. We have 50+ members on Strava. Maybe I am over thinking this but IMO, at this point of where we are, it needs to be managed in some organized fashion if we are to continue.

Make admin the people who post or we can have an election? Vote people into it?

Board of out of shape and you can opt out or take a break

Mathers

Addresses my concern about new people being stressed about leading a ride. Let noobs join it isn't taxing to host a ride if you've been doing this for a while but new people and new sport will make anyone shy to join.

I also want to point out a lot of people here my self excluded aren't OOS, this is a social time where we get to break the mold of our day to day lives. Anyone can join us from that guy who left giant to the ladies of mtbnj, our big rides are some of our best.

There is one thing I still want to address, emergency contacts. I know @Mathers doesn't want me having his wife's number, I get it who could resist my butt crack. I was thinking of handing out emergency contact cards that everyone would hold onto and just keep them in their bags and or glove box. That way we aren't caught flat-footed if something happens.
Not a terrible idea on the contact list, honestly I need more of the groups cell #s. We could just start a group text and drive each other nuts 24/7

I am all for organization but we all have a lot going on and this shouldn't be a stress for anyone. You guys have showed me to a lot of cool places over the last 4 months so that is much appreciated.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Not a terrible idea on the contact list, honestly I need more of the groups cell #s. We could just start a group text and drive each other nuts 24/7

I am all for organization but we all have a lot going on and this shouldn't be a stress for anyone. You guys have showed me to a lot of cool places over the last 4 months so that is much appreciated.

Be very careful. With too much organization, come responsibility (the lawyer type)
Not that having a waiver and contact info is a bad thing, but it is quickly becoming a thing.

Probably part of discussion, maybe we can get one of the HB organizers to school us.

Mathers

Be very careful. With too much organization, come responsibility (the lawyer type)
Not that having a waiver and contact info is a bad thing, but it is quickly becoming a thing.

Probably part of discussion, maybe we can get one of the HB organizers to school us.
Good point with the liability if we become too organized.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Keep in mind that this is coming from someone that doesn't really take anything seriously, but man, you guys are taking this way too seriously.
That will also be discussed. How serious this will be or handled.
It will be a meeting about meetings... you know... the corporate way

qclabrat

I haven't chimed in recently about the club, since I haven't ridden with the group for some time. What Paul has created is working quite beautifully and far more effective than I originally gave it credit. Rides are happening every weekend and the assigned member has been reliable from what I can see. Was that the club's original goal? From a goal setting perspective, yes, since it has been measurable and actionable. This thread and especially the Strava group has been effective in getting folks on organized rides and that is wonderful. I personally prefer not riding with a different group each week, mostly because I'm somewhat asocial and talking to new people expends a lot of mental energy for me. Already have enough trouble getting out, so the idea of meeting a new face, deters me at times. That's probably why I stuck with the format before as it kept the group small and familiar. Then the group got larger and common times became harder to match up, but more members filled in organically to keep the rides alive. I suggest keeping the calendar intact, but not add rides till this is figured out.
I'm going to start a new Strava group called 30mins from me, cause I'm shellfish. Be prepared to submit an application and pic, along with a follow up interview...
1549907914579.png

serviceguy

I haven't chimed in recently about the club, since I haven't ridden with the group for some time. What Paul has created is working quite beautifully and far more effective than I originally gave it credit. Rides are happening every weekend and the assigned member has been reliable from what I can see. Was that the club's original goal? From a goal setting perspective, yes, since it has been measurable and actionable. This thread and especially the Strava group has been effective in getting folks on organized rides and that is wonderful. I personally prefer not riding with a different group each week, mostly because I'm somewhat asocial and talking to new people expends a lot of mental energy for me. Already have enough trouble getting out, so the idea of meeting a new face, deters me at times. That's probably why I stuck with the format before as it kept the group small and familiar. Then the group got larger and common times became harder to match up, but more members filled in organically to keep the rides alive. I suggest keeping the calendar intact, but not add rides till this is figured out.
I'm going to start a new Strava group called 30mins from me, cause I'm shellfish. Be prepared to submit an application and pic, along with a follow up interview...
View attachment 87565

Walter, I think you're underestimating your social skills. I always thought you were a social butterfly, I would have never guessed you were actually a shellfish instead...

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Walter, I think you're underestimating your social skills. I always thought you were a social butterfly, I would have never guessed you were actually a shellfish instead...

we all have grown very comfortable with each other, at work I'm known as a very quiet privet person

@qclabrat you do you but I'm sure plenty of people who would join you depending on alternate plans, CR, RV, Nassau, 6mile all are calling my name so I'm gonna join to join those rides

Top Bottom