Intermittent fasting. Thoughts?

Captain Brainstorm

There are a lot of different approaches to intermittent fasting, on the whole, you are ahead of the game even if you fast at all on any capacity. There is a lot science to support the benefits gained from fasting, so I’ll give my opinion in the context of my scientific background. I spent the first 12 years of my career as a research microbiologist and my advanced degree is in molecular biology. This doesn’t give me any more “cred” than anyone else, but I can spot the science vs. pseudo science, and honestly I like to geek out on this shit. I’ve read a lot of peer-reviewed articles on stuff like this and gut bacteria, because I suffer from IBS and would like to improve my guy health also.

In addition to the weight loss, intermittent fasting helps to improve your gut flora, and can increase muscle mass, because the theory is that HGH is released during the fasted state. However, your HGH level goes up as you lose belly fat also, so whatever the mechanism, it’s a benefit. The primary goal of fasting though is to minimize the time that you are digesting food and putting glucose into your bloodstream, causing insulin to help store it as fat when you are in a resting state. You want to maximize the time your body is using stored glucose. Drinking coffee activates the hormone gastrin, which begins activating enzymes in your digestive system, which technically, breaks a fast. So while realistically it may not matter since there is nothing there to digest (not counting the 2 calories in coffe), the increased stomach acidity and the gall bladder dumping bile into my small intestine goes counter to improving my gut health by causing irritation. Your gut health is a big factor to your overall health, and for me is as much of a priority as maintaining a healthy weight.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
There are a lot of different approaches to intermittent fasting, on the whole, you are ahead of the game even if you fast at all on any capacity. There is a lot science to support the benefits gained from fasting, so I’ll give my opinion in the context of my scientific background. I spent the first 12 years of my career as a research microbiologist and my advanced degree is in molecular biology. This doesn’t give me any more “cred” than anyone else, but I can spot the science vs. pseudo science, and honestly I like to geek out on this shit. I’ve read a lot of peer-reviewed articles on stuff like this and gut bacteria, because I suffer from IBS and would like to improve my guy health also.

In addition to the weight loss, intermittent fasting helps to improve your gut flora, and can increase muscle mass, because the theory is that HGH is released during the fasted state. However, your HGH level goes up as you lose belly fat also, so whatever the mechanism, it’s a benefit. The primary goal of fasting though is to minimize the time that you are digesting food and putting glucose into your bloodstream, causing insulin to help store it as fat when you are in a resting state. You want to maximize the time your body is using stored glucose. Drinking coffee activates the hormone gastrin, which begins activating enzymes in your digestive system, which technically, breaks a fast. So while realistically it may not matter since there is nothing there to digest (not counting the 2 calories in coffe), the increased stomach acidity and the gall bladder dumping bile into my small intestine goes counter to improving my gut health by causing irritation. Your gut health is a big factor to your overall health, and for me is as much of a priority as maintaining a healthy weight.
TMI

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Captain Brainstorm

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Great. I had St elmos fire stuck in my head, now it's don't you

jackx

I think this is the right amount of detail because the basic science clarifies why a plain drink such as coffee can activate your GI system and break the fast.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
@Dave Taylor update? How are you feeling after 2 weeks of IF?
It’s been going well. I have been fasting monday-saturday. Typically eat no later than 8pm and don’t eat again until noon or later. I drink black coffee(not an issue for wait loss which is my reasoning).

I have had no problem doing 1-2 hours of zone 2 and it seems easy fasted. I will replenish after the workouts and fuel more difficult workouts. My high intensity interval workout has increased slightly power wise(maybe not related). I haven’t had any bonky sensations and have been averaging about 12 hours/wk the last two weeks.

I do not eat any breakfast only lunch and dinner. I weighed in at 191 this morning( we went out for Vday last night and I didn’t eat crappy but ate about 400 calories more than I have been.

I notice that my focus is better and I control urges easier. I don’t feel as tired(not sure why). One thing I noticed is the weight isn’t “falling off” but I definitely feel leaner. Maybe the gym and geared rides(building bigger hamstrings vs quads on ss) do this? Maybe I’m still eatin too much? Who knows. Overall I want to say I notice a difference and I feel slightly better.

Top Bottom