Training for a race tips??

Dajerseyrat

you'll be on the course with the cat 2 racers in the clydes class. i'm thinking that you may not end up "racing" anyone there.

think of it as you'll be able to go harder for the 12 miles, rather than saving up for the last lap. i can guarantee you will be mixing it up
in cat 3 - either catching people, or holding them off.
valid point...

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, what everyone else said.

I'll add that you can also look at racing as a social event. Regardless of where you place, everyone shows up a bit nervous but leave happy to participate and mix it up with fellow mtbers. If you stay with racing, you end up meeting folks and becoming friendly with a lot of peeps, plus you learn a lot about mtbing in a relatively short time.

choop

Cat 3 is learning laps. If you haven't raced, thats where you belong. I don't mean that as an insult. Keep your eyes open and pay attention. You will learn a lot and most importantly how to race safely. Then bring your experience to the Cat 2 races. Patience and knowing yourself is a big part of racing. Enjoy the experience.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
As others have stated, just do a race and not take it to seriously. You have to experience it to understand it. As mike Tyson said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Mountain Bike Mike

Registered for Cat 3, screw it...lol

Ok, now go out and do 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 30 pullups, 100 box jumps, 5 minutes of planks.. then jump on your bike, find the nearest steep 3 minute hill and do 10 hill repeats as hard as you can.

Ride back to your car, light you bike on fire.. go to the gym, do 5 pyramid sets of deadlifts and squats. Finish with 5 sets of 25 burpies

Then jump on the spin bike and light spin it out for 30 minutes. Do that every other day until you realize how stupid it is and how much time you could’ve been spending ripping through the woods.

Buy a new bike and ride the fuck out of it and try to have as much fun as possible

walter

Fourth Party
Ive only done a handful of races, so here's my short list of advice.

1- If you have a pre-ride routine, stick to it. Dont try anything new the morning of.
B- if the folks you currently ride with arent racers, and you think you roll at a pretty good pace, well, lets just say to go into your first event with an open mind, use it as a learning experience, and have fun.

Mountain Bike Mike

Call out “ON YOUR LEFT”’just before you shoulder check them off the trail.

No seriously, make yourself well known behind someone... most people will allow you to pass if you’re riding up their ass. Mayhem has plenty of areas to pass. You may get that one occasional dick who isnt even in your class that is holding everyone up and either won’t communicate and straight block your pass - for those people - Do the needful.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yeah... don't be a dick and block a racer who isn't in your group

if i'm passing a kid, i let myself be known REALLY well... usually "i'm going to pass on your left when it's clear" and then repeat "passing on your left" kind of thing...

and endurance racer or ride leader will usually say "leader/endurance coming thru" ... let them go!

i've only had to say NO! WAIT! to one person trying to pass me... and that was because i was about to pass thru a narrow section between two trees... as soon as i got thru it i told him to GO GO GO.

Stef

❤ Brownie Biatch ❤
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yeah... don't be a dick and block a racer who isn't in your group

if i'm passing a kid, i let myself be known REALLY well... usually "i'm going to pass on your left when it's clear" and then repeat "passing on your left" kind of thing...

and endurance racer or ride leader will usually say "leader/endurance coming thru" ... let them go!

i've only had to say NO! WAIT! to one person trying to pass me... and that was because i was about to pass thru a narrow section between two trees... as soon as i got thru it i told him to GO GO GO.

OHHHHH I tried to pass someone once, i asked politely and she told me no......

Top Bottom