Intermittent fasting. Thoughts?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Matt_ has some insight on this.

I know iv been experimenting, but have to remain flexible because days with big rides (weekends) i still need to eat before i go out or im going to get in trouble in short order . . . so im still not 100% sold on it but then not everything works for everyone so if it works for you and you can maintain it, great!

i honestly am in the added sugar is bad camp personally, but cutting out added sugar is just so damn difficult in our society, it hides everywhere and unless you read label extremely carefully its bound to sneak in . . .

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I fast 3 times a day, every day. Between Breakfast and Lunch, Lunch and Dinner, and then Dinner and Breakfast. During training days I micro-fast. Breakfast to snack, snack to lunch, lunch to snack, snack to dinner, and then dinner to ice cream before waking myself up at 3am to eat more ice cream. I've lost over 20 pounds since Bearscat.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I'm no nutritionist but I'll share my thoughts, whether you like it or not:)

Fasting...is that really sustainable??? At some point you're gonna be like...Shit, I'm hungry! , and then proceed to over eat.

And what Jim said, don't drink beer every night. I don't think I've ever read a diet plan that includes 1 or 2 beers every night.

It's the things you eat every day that cause you to gain weight, so simply you need to cut down on the food you eat...every day.

Rick says foods with added sugar is bad, so stay away from that and try not to eat processed food.

Eating is something we do to survive, but food can also be a source of comfort to us when we are stressed. Try to reduce stress, make better food choices and avoid dieting that is not sustainable.

If I give you any more info ima have to charge you $$$.
I’ll add more later. Basically I don’t consider myself fat. I’m a big guy though and an extra weight is in my belly. I’m 6’3” and 192 this morning. But the events i like have 10-13k of climbing. You can be a powerhouse all day long but you aren’t gonna climb well for 45-120 minutes without upping your w/kg. I get to a point in the 100s where I can’t drink enough water and eat enough calories. I do dexent at them but looming to improve.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I don’t get what is the fasting part of this diet. I don’t normally eat breakfast, does that qualify as IF? If so, it doesn’t work for me!
Going from 7pm until noon the next day without food is fasting. That’s 17 hours. Typically with IF after 12 hours your start burning fat stores.

serviceguy

Going from 7pm until noon the next day without food is fasting. That’s 17 hours. Typically with IF after 12 hours your start burning fat stores.

Good info. Thanks. In my case the problem is that I rarely finish dinner before 9:00p.m. and I am up at 5:30 and at work by 7:30, which is when I have my (first) espresso. Lunch is at 1 p.m. but I usually have something like a banana or almonds to keep me going up to lunch. I guess I should stop that and my be use that fast to my advantage. I'll give it a try.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Dave- carbs=sugar... beer=carbs= sugars...you’re not burning fat when you load up with carbs the night before. If there is something particular you are interested in doing, you should definitely talk to a nutritionist. Playing with this could leave you bonking in the woods alone.
You guys should really take a look at Eddy Merckx diet. I avoid junk food. Sure I’ll have some pop corn or almonds as a snack.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
@Matt_ has some insight on this.

I know iv been experimenting, but have to remain flexible because days with big rides (weekends) i still need to eat before i go out or im going to get in trouble in short order . . . so im still not 100% sold on it but then not everything works for everyone so if it works for you and you can maintain it, great!

i honestly am in the added sugar is bad camp personally, but cutting out added sugar is just so damn difficult in our society, it hides everywhere and unless you read label extremely carefully its bound to sneak in . . .
I don’t fast every day. You need to carb load the night before high intensity rides and fuel those workouts.

RobW

You guys should really take a look at Eddy Merckx diet. I avoid junk food. Sure I’ll have some pop corn or almonds as a snack.
i understand your point but its contradicting because how can you be teaching your body to burn fat when youre carb loading? if you have some documentation that supports this i would be glad to read it...

Mahnken

There's a lot of research coming out on the benefits of fasting for health and longevity. Check out Valter Longo's research on the subject.

Supposedly with intermittent fasting you can eat the same calories in a shorter window and lose weight while doing so. For me I think I just eat less when I fast in the mornings. I used to eat breakfast everyday thinking it was essential, and the most important meal of the day. However, after finding out that we may be better off skipping it, that's what I do. For me, once I start eating, I don't stop. So if I eat breakfast, I'll also have a bunch of snacking mixed in with all the regular meals. It's weird, once I start eating, I'm insatiable. But, I don't actually get hungry until I start eating. So when I'm not working I won't eat until noon or so when the family is having lunch. If I work (only twice a week), I won't eat until I get home around 4. I'm fine, actually better, when I exercise in a fasted state, as long as it's under 2 hours, I'd start to feel it after that. It works pretty good at helping me lose/maintain my weight, even if that's only because it helps keep my caloric intake down, and not snack on crap all day.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Lots of opinions on both sides. Still, since it doesn’t seem as if we have a lot of real experience with this diet/life choice/thing... why not let YOU be our test subject. I’m perfectly happy to get your first hand feedback on the pro’s and Con’s of IF after the breakin period. If you feel this works after your first couple of races/events this season then it probably does. Either way, at least you’re willing to try it. Good Luck DT.

Last edited:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Diarrhea of the mouth again @jShort ? ?

0D648A56-1EB2-4F7B-BBA7-4CFBFFC8EEDC.jpeg

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
There are no essential carbohydrates. Getting your body used to burning fat instead of carbs for fuel is what takes time. It's going to suck for a few weeks or however long your body needs to adjust. There has been some really interesting research with ultra marathon runners who demolished their previous records by becoming fat adapted. There's no "wall" where your body has to switch from burning carbs to burning fat.
Anecdotal evidence, before I started this I always felt I would crap out after 40 minutes without something in my stomach. Doing 12 hour Spartan races in VT I packed food like I was camping out for days. The most I've done since has been about 3.5 hours but completely fasted and my energy was through the roof, no hunger pains, and no wall. That was compelling evidence to stick with it personally and my next project is to do an unassisted race or event, see how long my body can take me.

Top Bottom