Science is looking up

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
my kid gets on the bus around 0640, and we have a view of the SE sky from out front porch - in December, Mercury and Venus were hanging together -
now it is Venus and Jupiter for the next few months. If you are up, take a look! I think @stb222 posted a picture a few weeks back. Venus is the brighter one.

serviceguy

I find that looking at my satnav screen is a lot more effective, less romantic I'll give you that, but more effective!

rick81721

Lothar
Assume people know this already but if you have a decent pair of binoculars check out venus to see it is actually a crescent like a tiny moon. You can see the phase changes - much better in a telescope tho

Patrick

Staff member
It's viewable, just difficult right now:

https://earthsky.org/tonight/catch-moon-saturn-before-sunrise-february-2

Feb 18 will be interesting - conjunction of venus and saturn

i was out there around 6:15.....no beueno.

The rising times of the moon and Saturn will vary around the world. At more southerly latitudes, the moon and Saturn rise before dawn’s first light; and at more northerly latitudes, the moon and Saturn come up closer to sunrise. Click here to find out the rising times for the U.S. or Canada.

rick81721

Lothar
i was out there around 6:15.....no beueno.

The rising times of the moon and Saturn will vary around the world. At more southerly latitudes, the moon and Saturn rise before dawn’s first light; and at more northerly latitudes, the moon and Saturn come up closer to sunrise. Click here to find out the rising times for the U.S. or Canada.

Try wearing glasses tomorrow ?

If I get up early tomorrow (doubtful) I'll take a look

Patrick

Staff member
^^^ perhaps - i think you still have venus (brighter) and jupiter (to the right), and saturn is closer to the horizon to the left.
unless it isn't rendered on my monitor. i didn't look outside until 6:20 and didn't pick up saturn. i'll fire up starwalk and check tomorrow.
supposed to be severe clear.

Top Bottom