Stuck post in carbon frame

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I'm wondering if using CF grease would be better because of the grittiness. I'm thinking the grit not only provides grip but it also provides tiny gaps between the frame and the post to prevent bonding. I use them on my CF bikes but I'm thinking that would be good for aluminum bikes also.

Mountain Bike Mike

I'm wondering if using CF grease would be better because of the grittiness. I'm thinking the grit not only provides grip but it also provides tiny gaps between the frame and the post to prevent bonding. I use them on my CF bikes but I'm thinking that would be good for aluminum bikes also.

Trust me.. don’t do that.

Mountain Bike Mike

OK, I trust you. But can you explain why?

I had a Giant dropper in a carbon anthem frame and used this...
4F028267-D16A-490B-A477-4454E0A7914F.jpeg

The dropper malfunction (@Mitch ) was there when it died... went home, post was seized in the frame... never came out after the LBS tried.. frame warrantied

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

From fox:

1. Insert the seatpost into the seat tube while you pull cable housing and inner wire from the frame's internal routing port (you may use friction paste with carbon frames if necessary). Set the seatpost at your approximate desired ride height. Tighten your seat collar binder bolt to 45-65 in-lb (5.1-7.3 Nm) torque. Excessive seat tube collar binder bolt tightness can cause the upper seatpost to bind within the lower seatpost.
@Mountain Bike Mike

Friction paste was likely not Mike's issue. In general, you only need this when one of the tubes is carbon (frame of the seat post).

Mountain Bike Mike

From fox:

1. Insert the seatpost into the seat tube while you pull cable housing and inner wire from the frame's internal routing port (you may use friction paste with carbon frames if necessary). Set the seatpost at your approximate desired ride height. Tighten your seat collar binder bolt to 45-65 in-lb (5.1-7.3 Nm) torque. Excessive seat tube collar binder bolt tightness can cause the upper seatpost to bind within the lower seatpost.
@Mountain Bike Mike

Friction paste was likely not Mike's issue. In general, you only need this when one of the tubes is carbon (frame of the seat post).

Wasn’t a fox post doe...

Top Bottom