The DIY thread - DIYourself

Mathers

Found steal of a deal on loaded avalanche in Delaware one night around 830.. Drove down that night to pick it up. It was missing like a bastard hence the deal, so I unplugged the injector on the dead cylinder and drove it home. Assumed the AFM lifters were bad which is a common problem in these GM trucks. Pulled the heads, lifters were bad, replaced everything, thankfully the cam was spared. Now I got a perfect truck for like $4k total invested. Super pumped, now I just need a make a bike rack.
View attachment 86208View attachment 86210View attachment 86212View attachment 86213
View attachment 86214
View attachment 86215
Nice work ! How many miles ?

iman29

Looking for a backsplash option for behind our stove, something stainless steel or copper. Anyone ever DYI something in your own kitchen?
We ordered this kit from GE but it arrived damaged and the shelf was larger then I wanted so looking for other options (not tile)

View attachment 85705
We decided to tile behind the stove but didn't like the unfinished look behind the back of it and it seemed like stuff might accidentally fall behind it. So we ordered the SS backsplash/shelf kit that went with it. While it looks nice it's totally a pain in the ass to clean and it's a tight fit between the upper cabinets. It's also not totally sturdy and shifts around a little bit.

If I had todo it again I would have just a SS shelf on the wall with the rest tile to make best use of the heat lamp

And DONT waste your money on Viking crap it's overrated. GE is a smart move and probably a lot cheaper.

IMG_2317.JPG

iman29

Sons 2 year old HP laptop out of warranty. Touch screen was wonking out so he contacted HP support and they quoted him $650 to send it back and they can repair it in about 2 week. OMFG. That's more than the laptop was worth brand new.

I got online and ordered a refurbished screen via the HP online chat support and made sure they put in writing that it was the right part. Then I went in YouTube and watched 5 different videos on how to swap it out. This gave me the good idea to buy a laptop repair tool kit too.

So for $175 for the replacement screen and $20 bucks for the tool kit the whole thing took me 15 minutes to replace.

One disclaimer tho is I have been a IT person for my whole 25 year career so these things don't intimidate me but I have not done hardware repairs in decades.

IMG_2228.JPG

qclabrat

looks good, interested on the setup you've landed on
20 years ago everyone was doing media server and I had a dual Xeon to run my movies, music and photos. Now with wifi and the interweb, all that is defunct. What's the biggest game change you've seen in the last 5 years and what's the next big thing in the next 5? We should talk shop next time, I'll bring beers...

Mathers

looks good, interested on the setup you've landed on
20 years ago everyone was doing media server and I had a dual Xeon to run my movies, music and photos. Now with wifi and the interweb, all that is defunct. What's the biggest game change you've seen in the last 5 years and what's the next big thing in the next 5? We should talk shop next time, I'll bring beers...
Sounds good.
Biggest now is 4k and Atmos Audio.
I’m running 7.1 just because of the lack of Armoa content. Im still also using my 65” Pioneer Kuro plasma.
My movie server is Kaleidescape.
Also I didn’t do all the work in the room I used a GC for a good portion.

qclabrat

Sounds good.
Biggest now is 4k and Atmos Audio.
I’m running 7.1 just because of the lack of Armoa content. Im still also using my 65” Pioneer Kuro plasma.
My movie server is Kaleidescape.
Also I didn’t do all the work in the room I used a GC for a good portion.
interesting, didn't know Dolby Atmos was released to the residential market till now. Is the Kaleidescape content all streamed? And you'll need to explain what Armoa is next time...

Mathers

Aroma is Atmos spellchecked ?
Atmos has been out a while. It’s great when the movies are engineered for it.
Kaleidescape is a server based movie storage. It’s downloaded via their store or disc vaults.
It’s really the only way other than a disc to get true 4k content. I am not doing 4k yet though.
Kaleidescape.com

THATmanMANNY

I am going to die laughing if this is "Frank the Plumber" I have written down that came a few weeks ago when my house was a "shit show" from the cleaning lady.
Does his cell end in 7859?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I am going to die laughing if this is "Frank the Plumber" I have written down that came a few weeks ago when my house was a "shit show" from the cleaning lady.
Does his cell end in 7859?

Y.

did he drive his vette over - it has a wicked miss, and will stall at idle.
injectors are just plumbing right?

Top Bottom