mukluk 3 rear hub help!

pygmypony

i have a 2016 mukluk and my freewheel is a little loose.

i found these instructions on taking apart the hub to be able to tighten the freewheel, but i'm running into a few issues

https://salsacycles.com/files/tech/80-000232_INST.pdf

1) the non-drive side 19mm cone washer doesn't want to come off after i've loosened the 15mm locknut. it seems like it's pressed up so snug agains the bearing seal and bearing that it just doesn't want to move. i suppose i could put a wrench or vise somewhere on the axle to get it to free up, but that could ruin the axle maybe?

2) since i couldn't get the cone washer off, i was able to get the drive side lock nuts off. i tapped the drive side of the axle to free the non-drive side bearing, but the axle doesn't seem to want to pull all the way through the non-drive side. i'm reluctant to force it, but is that supposed to happen where you can only remove the axle through the drive side?

any help / advice would be appreciated. thanks!

joe C

pygmypony

i was starting to think no one wanted to help me with my hub/axle issue, but then realized all of the shop talk chatter was being taken up by that other thread. now i don't feel so bad...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Jim hasn't finished his morning helping of Swedish fish. Stand by.
(is the left side reverse threaded? - i didn't look it up, just a thought)

pygmypony

Jim hasn't finished his morning helping of Swedish fish. Stand by.
(is the left side reverse threaded? - i didn't look it up, just a thought)
no both sides "regular" threaded. i was able to get the lock-nut off. thanks! i will offer a "generous" supply of swedish fish to anyone willing to help!

pygmypony

That freehub is not a serviceable part. You gotta take it off and put a new one on if it's broken. However, even new that hub design has play in it.
yuk...heads up, i may be in the market soon for a new fat bike rear wheel / drivetrain upgrade! open to suggestions!

pygmypony

sorry @jimvreeland one more clarifying question...if i did want to replace the freehub, i obviously have to remove the axle.

one of the issues i'm having is knocking the axle all the way through the hub (drive side or non-drive side). it seems to get held up a bit somewhere within the hub, even with all of the locknuts & washers removed. i have a feeling it's somehow getting hung-up by that tiny little bulge on the axle (see my crappy picture below).

1547503024442.png

i'm afraid if i force it through i will ruin the hub and definitely will need that new I9/Nextie wheel set.

however, before i commit to that, i want to just try to get an 11mm hex into the freehub to give it a half turn to potentially remove some of that play.

so, do i need to just man up and push the axle through, or am i missing something else?

thanks!

pygmypony

quick hub-pdate...

i picked up the park tool AV-5 axle vise and that was the trick! i was finally able to get the stubborn cone nut off, and then i got the axle out by pulling it through the non-drive side. basically the "lip" that sits against the bearing on the freehub/drive side, is larger than the non-drive side lip, so you can only pull the axle through the non-drive side.

once i had the axle out, i was able to get the 11mm hex into the freewheel and it was SO LOOSE! i tightened it up, reinstalled everything, and it seems to be spinning pretty nicely! time will tell from here!

IMG_8735.jpeg

IMG_8736.jpeg

Top Bottom