cost of college

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Ok. this has nothing to do with the cost of college, but I found it amusing. Since it's Winter break my Freshman son got together with a bunch of friends from home. I asked for an update on his friends. One who is going to UPenn pre-med, is no longer pre-med. No idea what he wants to do now. One friend (Asian) who has never received less than a 4.0 is stressing big time about the 3.6 he just received. One should be starting soon at Middlesex after spending 2 nights in jail and being kicked out of his college of choice for doing something stupid.

qclabrat

Ok. this has nothing to do with the cost of college, but I found it amusing. Since it's Winter break my Freshman son got together with a bunch of friends from home. I asked for an update on his friends. One who is going to UPenn pre-med, is no longer pre-med. No idea what he wants to do now. One friend (Asian) who has never received less than a 4.0 is stressing big time about the 3.6 he just received. One should be starting soon at Middlesex after spending 2 nights in jail and being kicked out of his college of choice for doing something stupid.
haha, I was similar to one of those kids

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The state prison in middlesex ??

pxs231

I received zero college help from my parents due to many tough circumstances. We didn’t even fill out my FAFSA form in time so I ended up going to state school all on a combo of subsidized and I subsidized students loans. I didn’t get financial aid until grad school, at which point for some stupid reason I still took out the loans I was eligible for and spent the money tearing my car to pieces and putting back together many times over. I got out with my grad degree in engineering with about $55k in student dept. At that time I made yet another stupid decision and consolidated the dept to a 25 year fixed interest loan so improve my cash flow to allow me to purchase a house at 23 years old.
Thinking back on all of this I really didn’t need my parents to save money for my college. Seeing the money I was borrowing motivated me to pay attention while in college and not goof around too much. What would have been helpful would have been sound financial advice to prevent me from pulling out probably $20k in extra loans and some extra credit card dept along the way. Also it would have been helpful to strongly discourage me from wasting money after I started working and not bothering taking on the cost of a house until I paid off all of these loans.
17 years later all that stuff is behind me but I sure wasted a lot money and learned some hard lessons. I know the cost of even instate college has grown significantly since then, but somehow I feel like teaching my son better money management would benefit him more than just handing a bunch of money for college.

Top Bottom