Indoor/Outdoor Winter 2018-2019

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My guess is zwift has a default Mars setting :rolleyes:

Ok hey, hi! Happy New Year.

Time to dial back the Passive Aggressive Trolling Meter on 2019. I've gotten a few comments about you recently and yet another one this morning. I'll also be honest, I had blocked you for a while because I thought you posts did nothing but cause more negativity. I admit the artist thread brought me back.

But this track needs to stop. At this point, 1/3 of the TdF racers use Zwift and that number is only going to go up. You may or may not like it, and that's fine. But time to lose the passive aggressive nonsense. If you want to start an OOZ (Out Of Zwift) thread and contain it there, go for it. But you're just pissing in everyone's corn flakes now.

Maybe make it a new year's resolution.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Correction to the "score" leaderboard -

I decree it to be scored by position based on riding time, rather than total time.

so it is written......

just to clarify - the score is the sum of your inverse, weekly, ordinal position.
so the only weird word there is ordinal, from "order" - so think reverse order,
calculated by week, then summed-up!

the idea being that you are measured as your position against the field, vs the sum of the time.
let's call it an experimental metric, that way i don't have to file any paperwork.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I get the concept of doing fake rides inside is better than nothing, but how can it directly translate to the real world when people are doing ridiculous fake average speeds of like 25 mph? ?

It has nothing to do with speed. You’re training by power #s. In my pathetic case I’m using a pedal based power meter so whatever that sad number is...it’s real. The resistance is also real. So IF I was re-riding a route that the recorded power numbers were real and the power numbers over the duration were higher, the time would be better. Specific route training will yield results commensurate with the watt gains. That isn’t fake. Cold and wet 500 watts or warm and sunny 500 watts is comparable.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
It has nothing to do with speed. You’re training by power #s. In my pathetic case I’m using a pedal based power meter so whatever that sad number is...it’s real. The resistance is also real. So IF I was re-riding a route that the recorded power numbers were real and the power numbers over the duration were higher, the time would be better. Specific route training will yield results commensurate with the watt gains. That isn’t fake. Cold and wet 500 watts or warm and sunny 500 watts is comparable.
I think Rick is referencing the crazy speeds that trainer people put up. In relation to power based training, who really cares, but many people are stating Mileage goals, and this is where the avg's plays in. If someone does the coveted 10k milestone, doesn't it get watered down if 3000 miles was done at 21 mph on the trainer? Maybe it doesn't if said person can ride outside at 21 mph.

For instance, not once have i heard hours goals from the group of roadies I ride with in Newtown, it is always about miles. Of which, they always stated in ride titles, over 9k, 10k, etc. The one guy was over 13k and I was like forget that, peep those hours (over 900, yes they ride slow AF)! And the response was hours, who looks at that? One of the women is an accomplished tri athlete and has done Kona something like 15-20 times, she told me that she never once looked at hours until I mentioned it.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Ok hey, hi! Happy New Year.

Time to dial back the Passive Aggressive Trolling Meter on 2019. I've gotten a few comments about you recently and yet another one this morning. I'll also be honest, I had blocked you for a while because I thought you posts did nothing but cause more negativity. I admit the artist thread brought me back.

But this track needs to stop. At this point, 1/3 of the TdF racers use Zwift and that number is only going to go up. You may or may not like it, and that's fine. But time to lose the passive aggressive nonsense. If you want to start an OOZ (Out Of Zwift) thread and contain it there, go for it. But you're just pissing in everyone's corn flakes now.

Maybe make it a new year's resolution.

I honestly believe his comments are really intended to encourage people to go outside and get some fresh air rather than than put down the trainer crowd, sort of how grandma did it. No? Just mine? ? Ok then, but yes, it is starting to get alittle sitcom punchline laugh track-ish.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I think Rick is referencing the crazy speeds that trainer people put up. In relation to power based training, who really cares, but many people are stating Mileage goals, and this is where the avg's plays in. If someone does the coveted 10k milestone, doesn't it get watered down if 3000 miles was done at 21 mph on the trainer? Maybe it doesn't if said person can ride outside at 21 mph.

For instance, not once have i heard hours goals from the group of roadies I ride with in Newtown, it is always about miles. Of which, they always stated in ride titles, over 9k, 10k, etc. The one guy was over 13k and I was like forget that, peep those hours (over 900, yes they ride slow AF)! And the response was hours, who looks at that? One of the women is an accomplished tri athlete and has done Kona something like 15-20 times, she told me that she never once looked at hours until I mentioned it.

People don’t actually tout the speeds do they? All I hear anyone talk about is watts.

All I care about is keeping the pipes open enough to keep from keeling over. :)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
People don’t actually tout the speeds do they? All I hear anyone talk about is watts.

All I care about is keeping the pipes open enough to keep from keeling over. :)
IDK, do most people have power meters on their bikes? Strava does that estimate but I would just assume it is total BS.

Wait, I thought people rode bikes for fun :oops:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
IDK, do most people have power meters on their bikes? Strava does that estimate but I would just assume it is total BS.

Strava’s estimates are about as accurate as a Miss Cleo prediction...

3A49C7AF-F92C-4198-A1B2-6BDCD23A06E3.jpeg

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@fidodie, what sort of privacy settings do you need in order to see the activities? Do they need to be visibile to "Everyone" or will "Followers" work

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep

All the smart trainers have built in power meters and riding inside is never really fun. Even with Zwift. It’s much better than pre-Zwift but I wouldn’t call it fun. Just makes your eventual outdoor rides more fun.

Patrick

Staff member
@fidodie, what sort of privacy settings do you need in order to see the activities? Do they need to be visibile to "Everyone" or will "Followers" work

Good question. Will check later.
Does Strava have ride privacy in groups and just posts your totals?

Patrick

Staff member
Here is a funny one.

Friend of mine only does spin class, indoor trainer. I posted something the other night and the avg mph was higher than usual. She called BS on me!!!

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here is a funny one.

Friend of mine only does spin class, indoor trainer. I posted something the other night and the avg mph was higher than usual. She called BS on me!!!

you want a wheel to do one of your rides on to bump up your MPH?

Top Bottom