Screenshot_20190101-152116_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190101-151019_Gallery.jpg
20190101_120210.jpg

Check out my ride on Strava: https://strava.app.link/2A2TDeUe8S

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
pulled a run outdoor (race) and ride-indoor today -
Wasn't sure how the legs would do outside, and didn't want to cramp - so down and into the basement.
Watched S1E7 of Stranger Things - 1 to go.

cat did not bother me today!

stupid race, AG podium was well in reach but didn't have the legs or the will to really hurt after yesterday's ride.
Finished in 4th, 43 seconds back, but well off my current pace.

I have one of my "favorite" routes in strava sync'd to my wahoo element - mostly for directions to make sure it is the same each time.
I was planning on just going downstairs and using the resistance settings to vary my spin, but found "simulate a ride" and it let me pick
a sync'd ride. had the topo and street map! definitely could imagine my location by the map and changes in resistance. v. cool

Got a finishers' ribbon. Really wanted hardware!
IMG_2739.JPG

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
pulled a run outdoor (race) and ride-indoor today -
Wasn't sure how the legs would do outside, and didn't want to cramp - so down and into the basement.
Watched S1E7 of Stranger Things - 1 to go.

cat did not bother me today!

stupid race, AG podium was well in reach but didn't have the legs or the will to really hurt after yesterday's ride.
Finished in 4th, 43 seconds back, but well off my current pace.

I have one of my "favorite" routes in strava sync'd to my wahoo element - mostly for directions to make sure it is the same each time.
I was planning on just going downstairs and using the resistance settings to vary my spin, but found "simulate a ride" and it let me pick
a sync'd ride. had the topo and street map! definitely could imagine my location by the map and changes in resistance. v. cool

Got a finishers' ribbon. Really wanted hardware!
View attachment 84273
Rtalk, I kinda getbthe video aspect of zwift with these fake famous routes and such and “racing” but simulating a local route on a day when it is 50-60s? You obviously had the time to ride the simulated route so what, 5 more
Min to get dressed? ?

Patrick

Staff member
Rtalk, I kinda getbthe video aspect of zwift with these fake famous routes and such and “racing” but simulating a local route on a day when it is 50-60s? You obviously had the time to ride the simulated route so what, 5 more
Min to get dressed? ?

i could have made it out. it could have been 30 degrees, and i could have made it out.
Rode less than half of it - but macht nichts.

point was that I didn't know simulation for any route was in there. Maybe i'll work on getting my zion segment below 10 minutes and see if it translates.
I should put the aerobars on the trainer.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i could have made it out. it could have been 30 degrees, and i could have made it out.
Rode less than half of it - but macht nichts.

point was that I didn't know simulation for any route was in there. Maybe i'll work on getting my zion segment below 10 minutes and see if it translates.
I should put the aerobars on the trainer.
Virtual or rill Zion?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
ride it indoor until i'm there, then take it on the road!
no sense in riding outside, too dangerous.
giphy.gif

It would be more funny if you were joking.

I assume you referencing stop to stop, would actually be an interesting experiment, consistency getting under 10 virtually and then see what you do in real life.

rick81721

Lothar
giphy.gif

It would be more funny if you were joking.

I assume you referencing stop to stop, would actually be an interesting experiment, consistency getting under 10 virtually and then see what you do in real life.

I get the concept of doing fake rides inside is better than nothing, but how can it directly translate to the real world when people are doing ridiculous fake average speeds of like 25 mph? ?

Patrick

Staff member
i'm fairly sure the missing factor is wind resistance - not a big deal below 10mph - since every bike/person/position would produce a different k-factor
so they just drop it. seems zwifting has some sort of drafting factor?

apple tv for the basement arrives today.
so i can zwift, watch stranger things, and fake-ride my bike. where can i get one of those gel things for my saddle?

I’m under 10 every time I virtually ride it.

i meant uphill. :p

Reactions: w_b

Patrick

Staff member
What about the coefficient of friction of the trainer vs the pavement?

good question - def a factor, wind resistance dominates as speed increases -

quick lookup:
coef or rolling resistance for bike tire, dry smooth pavement is .004 https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/rolling-friction-resistance-d_1303.html
coef of wind resistance(drag) of a bicycle (since they have upright listed as 1.1, i'm assuming they put a rider on it?) .9 https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/drag-coefficient-d_627.html

they are both geometric with velocity

Top Bottom